"SLASH uses Ernie Ball Slinky R.P.S. strings of gauge 11-46"

What exactly does this mean? I see Ernie balls in all different color packages but I don't see 11-46 on any of them.

Stainless steel and Nickel
I hear stainless steel lasts longer, but I'm concerned of premature fret wear. I have a gibson slash LP goldtop, is this a concern?
You don't need to use the same strings as Slash. They are a custom set that Ernie Ball makes for him just like all his other gear. I would recommend you try 9's on a Les Paul or 10's on a Strat. (the number meaning the size of the first string). Also those slinkys are nice at first but they lose their brightness real quick. You get about 2 good days out of them. Someone like Slash has somebody change all his strings and stretch them out before all his shows.
I like when the ernie balls lose their inital overt brightness. It's called breaking them in. Just buy whatever strings are on sale, it doesn't make a big difference. You can get 11's or 10's and have half of slash's strings, or buy one of each and mix them if you really want 11-46.
Quote by pak1351
I like when the ernie balls lose their inital overt brightness. It's called breaking them in. Just buy whatever strings are on sale, it doesn't make a big difference. You can get 11's or 10's and have half of slash's strings, or buy one of each and mix them if you really want 11-46.

reported.

jk
ya dont have to use ernie ball.there are other reliable strings out there. i use d'adario 10s
them last longer to me
Quote by moshin j
ya dont have to use ernie ball.there are other reliable strings out there. i use d'adario 10s
them last longer to me

Good choice I use 9's on my LP
I called Guitar Center, the guy on the phone said LP comes with 10-42 standard, by switching to 11-46, he suggests that I get a guitar tech to inspect the neck and bridge to make any adjustments for the added tension of heavier strings. He also cautioned that it will be harder to bend strings.

I'm sure a LP can handle 11-46, do I really need to see a tech for changing strings?
Well, heavier strings put more stress on the neck. If you go from 10-11, it might make the neck more bowed, and you can get intonation issues and action problems.
10-42 seems odd, I thought 10-46 was standard for 10's, 9-42 for 9's.