I've been doing this for a few days now, would it be a month before I can pick things fast without screw ups? Since I'm just starting out with the whole floating thing, even the first pentatonic riff in the stairway to heaven solo seems hard... >_> How long does it generally take?
Join cashcrate to make easy money. It may be tedious, but it does indeed work! Easily make $100 in about a week filling out random surveys.
what the heck do you mean by floating hand?
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Well I personally don't bother because it doesn't make any difference; in fact I'd say it is worse because it will be harder to mute strings. At a guess though I'd say it will be a breakthrough skill, where it'll take a while but when you've cracked that it's easy from then on.
Muting is the same you just kinda lightly brush your hand over it. The reason I want to learn it is because my old way of picking is terrible, and I'd rather learn the right want now before it's too late to change...
Join cashcrate to make easy money. It may be tedious, but it does indeed work! Easily make $100 in about a week filling out random surveys.
It's not something that will come naturally I think, if you have troubles picking with a floating hand, you will just have to practice doing it. Some players have a floating hand (I believe for e.g. Al Di Meola), others rest their hand on the bridge. Neither is wrong or right, you just have to get comfortable to what you think is right for you.
It'll take as long as it takes and only time will tell how long that is so get practicing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Alright, Ill be working on it till after december... Hopefully something good will come of it, and Ill be taking lessons without the whole "i cant pick yet" thing >_> 1.2 or something years of playing the wrong way xD
Quote by AlucardZero
Alright, Ill be working on it till after december... Hopefully something good will come of it, and Ill be taking lessons without the whole "i cant pick yet" thing >_> 1.2 or something years of playing the wrong way xD

If it's only 1-2 years then you've got it easy; I changed my picking completely recently after playing for about 6 years and I've heard of much harder cases.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I'm the opposite, I usually play floating hand and only rest on the bridge when i have to palm mute.