Hi all. I have recenty purchased the amp of my dreams. The marshall 2061x ( the 20w head version of marshalls hand wired series) The amp really nails the tonal qualities i have been craving for so long. I always play with the amp cranked all the way up and im able to get a very nice old school rock n roll sound out of it. the best i've ever heard in fact Anyways, I am looking for an OD peal that will send it into more overdrive for those long sustaining solo's. I DO as you can probably gather love the sound of the amp itself and do not by any means want something that changes the tone.
I am looking at the BD2, the keeley modded BD2, the ocd and the maxon tubescreamer. I havent hd a chance to take any home for auditioning yet so want to hear if any of you guys have some better aternatives. What i need really is more gain but no tone-alteration.

Perhaps a clean boost? But am afraid to push the amp too hard( if there is such a thing)

any advice greatly appreciated
Fulltone Fulldrive II. i have an 03' (i think) model, before they added the mosfet switch. it is BEAUTIFUL. it takes clean tube sound and gives it nice AC/DC;Boston crunch and doesn't get muddy! i can even get a great GNR sound with it. and when put on top of natural amp OD, it's just the better!

the pedal has a few different ways to use it. usually i use it like a crunch box rather transparent OD, but for clean boosts it also works superb. it's just that in my dorm room, volume can be an issue, and when you use it as a clean boost and actually press then 'boost' switch, depending on how much you have the 'boost' knob turned, you'll get a significant amount of volume boost. on any mode other than 'clean cut', though, the boost doesn't make a noticeable difference. but on clean cut mode, it makes a big one.

it's fulltone, boutique, hand made/wired and made in California, USA. $170ish brand new i believe. so far it's the best i've used and i'm keeping it. check them out, it doesn't take long at all to get used to how to use it.

a quality hand wired amp like that deserves a nice boutique OD
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
those generally sound like good pedals
but it is best to try them out
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
oh, and TS, i encourage you to try out the pedals for sure. usually Tubescreamers (and clones) add some bit of tonal characteristics to an amp's sound. so i don't think you should be looking at tubescreamers as opposed to clean boosts. i know that the Fulldrive can excellently produce sounds of both a clean boost AND tubescreamer (hardly any coloration at all).
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
thanx for the advice. will surely try it out. the thing i dont like about it though is that it has too many buttons im getting a bit simplistic lately, and basically want something to just turn on and sound brilliant, just like my amp but will surely try it out cuz once its dialled in it doesnt really matter i guess, how many buttons it has Do you have any idea how it compares to the ocd?
understandable.

Level, Tone, Gain and Boost knobs are the only ones on pedal. minus the 'boost' knob, there's no more knobs on this than most other boosts/ODs. also know that more knobs means more tweakability. then you have two switches: one to turn the pedal on and off, then the second to activate the boost. and lastly the switch to turn it from 'comp cut' mode to 'FM' to 'vintage.' and my general usage is 'comp cut' for transparent clean boost and 'vintage' for Tubescreamer style use. though i can see how that added switch might make it seem a lil too fancy...i still recommend it.

if you're worried about it having 'bells and whistles' it really doesn't, everything on there is usable even to the most simple guitar player. hopefully wherever you go, they'll have one for testing...i dunno how many shops carry boutique pedals for trying out.

good luck!

slash_edit: i can't say from personal experience how it compares to the OCD. but from what i've read and gathered, the OCD is more for tubescreamer type use, adding a bit of character from the pedal itself and prolly has slightly more bite in the gain department. i wouldn't think the OCD is an ideal choice for transparent drive. the fulldrive would be on the clean boost side of the spectrum. but at the same time, it pulls a nice TS type sound, without having so much gain that it gets unusable or muddy. i wish i had played an OCD in person to really give a definite answer though! i just have a feeling that the OCD is more for expanding your amp's gain territory farther into heavier styles, where as the fulltone would be just for boosting your amp's gain and adding a bit more gain, but not putting it as far into the next gain spectrum as the OCD would.

gah it makes perfect sense when i think it in my head
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Last edited by slash_rocks2005 at Nov 11, 2008,
The ts808 is the one that you should be looking for tubescreamer-wise, some do mod their ts9 (they swap a chip and two capacitors if I remember) into a ts808 clone, maxon are really manufacturing better ts808 than ibanez simply because their facility was the one building the original tubescreamers before they went on their own as maxon, their engineers know their thing that's for sure. I don't know much about clean boost when used with a driven amplifier, but an overdrive pedal REALLY shines the sound, most overdrives that cost 150 $ and up are well made and shouldn't have any transparency issues, one that'S got pretty rad reviews at a local forum I go is the sky blue overdrive (don't remember brand), that thing is said to be so sweet it doesn't even compare with ts808 and others, like a piece on its own.

Yet a maxon one (example) would cost almost as much as this 170 $ boutique pedal mentionned earlier, so these days it's really a matter of preferences, I'm kind of short on budget more than often so I'd opt for modded gear, but with the wallet you can go for the best right away, your call.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
^i like the idea of getting boutique pedals, stand out a lil from the crowd. not that it's so rare to find people using boutique level ODs, but it's kinda nice to have some part of your sound be something a little different than the norm. though, TS, with your handwired Marshall i'm sure you're already achieving that lol.

i also agree with what he said about preference. the OD/boost pedal market is so huge that i really find it close to impossible that even a good number of boutique level ODs out there sound 90% similar to others in that same market. go for something that sounds great, and has a unique look that appeals to you. maybe even opt for a friend to give your pedal a custom paint job . nothing's better than having something that no one else has and them being like, "whoa that's cool! where can i get one?"
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
You're probably not going to take this seriously, but there's a make on ebay called 'Biyang' which make some amazing pedals. A semi pro friend of mine prefers the 'x-drive' he has to his old Zendrive.
Very transparent, true bypass, and due to being relatively unknown, very cheap.
Definitely worth a look. And they come with interchangeable chips.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38.l1313&_nkw=biyang&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

^ i wouldn't trust that thing farther than i could throw it really. even though that's prolly kinda far....

anyway, that pedal doesn't have much reviews on it and isn't well known, so that means their customer service and possible malfunctions aren't well known either. i wouldn't take the risk. besides, at best they would be a good rival for a budget TS clone like the bad monkey...if that's the case (low budget) then just get a BM cuz i love mine and it works great for its price.

but i think you want to get something NICE to go with that NICE amp...so splurge a little bit. i stick by what i said as far as getting something boutique and less common, but make sure that info on it IS available. Fulltone's reputation is what it is b/c they've been around a while, so people know what to expect. they're known for high quality. this Biyang company probably would be too much of a hassle to get a refund if the pedal imploded on itself or had some kind of faulty circuitry.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by slash_rocks2005
^ i wouldn't trust that thing farther than i could throw it really. even though that's prolly kinda far....

anyway, that pedal doesn't have much reviews on it and isn't well known, so that means their customer service and possible malfunctions aren't well known either. i wouldn't take the risk. besides, at best they would be a good rival for a budget TS clone like the bad monkey...if that's the case (low budget) then just get a BM cuz i love mine and it works great for its price.

but i think you want to get something NICE to go with that NICE amp...so splurge a little bit. i stick by what i said as far as getting something boutique and less common, but make sure that info on it IS available. Fulltone's reputation is what it is b/c they've been around a while, so people know what to expect. they're known for high quality. this Biyang company probably would be too much of a hassle to get a refund if the pedal imploded on itself or had some kind of faulty circuitry.

He runs through a Cornell Clapton sig model and uses Various Tom Anderson guitars, and a custom shop VOS 58 LP.
Normally I would agree, but you being so opinionated on a pedal you know nothing about is quite irritating. The man knows his gear, and often runs it in conjunction with an OCD v2
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by jimbob78
He runs through a Cornell Clapton sig model and uses Various Tom Anderson guitars, and a custom shop VOS 58 LP.
Normally I would agree, but you being so opinionated on a pedal you know nothing about is quite irritating. The man knows his gear, and often runs it in conjunction with an OCD v2

first off, i didn't say your bud DOESN'T know his gear. i could never make an assumption like that if i don't even know what he plays. second, it's general knowledge to MOST cautious buyers that you try to go for a product that has a good amount of reviews on it or you have more than just one or two people to get an opinion on it from.

i don't doubt that the pedal can sound good, but that doesn't change the fact that it could have reliability problems. B-52s are great sounding amps that are known for reliability issues....Bugera has a reliability occurence every once in a while too, and they sound great. so you can see i'm not trying to pair unreliability with bad tone. and one or two people that own the product may have no problems at all, but what about the others who do? the only way to get an accurate overview of which pedals have reliability issues is to have a lot of people go and buy them and then wait. if the pedal is THAT low in cost and THAT uknown, it could be a risk not worth taking. that's all i'm saying. the bad monkey is around the same price, if not cheaper, and has a solid reputation.

just putting my reasoning so you understand here, i'm not talking blindly.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Fair enough. It's reasonable logic, although they are fantastic pedals, and in my honest opinion, of much better quality than a bad monkey, and sound better than a lot of boutique pedals.
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

ah thank god, i thought i was gonna start some super argument thing or somethin..

well if it sounds THAT good to ya, then it might be something to invest in for yourself. then spread the word around UG and give reviews, demos, youtube clips, etc. it's hard for people to be convinced on buying something that doesn't have a reputation...
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
No problems man. It's not like I have a stake in the business. It's just that I was impressed and trying to spread the good word, and for him to take it over a zendrive is quite something.
I hear what you're saying... at least you're articulate enough to say it without starting some flame war. Kudos to that.
Quote by Skraeling86

Quote by Bubban

this calls for awkward sentimental moment when we go for a hug, and then switch to shaking hands.

yea, finding low cost pedals that aren't even well known on the market can be more exciting than high end boutique ones. i wish i still had my old ibanez soundtank delay pedal...first FX pedal i ever got. it was made of plastic...but it worked. gave it to my cuz b/c he got a guitar for xmas, never played it after a couple weeks, and never got the pedal back. damn....i just want it back for shits and giggles really.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
so today I went to different stores and tried out different stuff on 18 watt handwired marshalls combos, that sound close to my head.
i tried:

- mad proffessor little green
- OCD
- fulldrive
- ibanez ts9
- maxon ts
- boss bd2
- bbe screamer
- tc electronics od

I testet them all with the amp cranked, and i found that:

- mad proffessor little green: great great transperancy and good range of drive
- OCD: good transperancy, but a slight change in tone( little more "boxy" and trebly)
- fulldrive: a bit of tone change, though great variations, but to many for my liking.
- ibanez ts9: pretty big tonal change, the worst of the bunch actually
- maxon ts: close to the ts9 but more clarity.
- boss bd2: very good transparency and range of drive. Not able to tell from the mad.
- bbe screamer: Not too great of a tonal change but added a bit on the bassy side
- tc electronics od: really versatile, but still changes the tone.

I brought the bd2 home and so far I'm liking it alot.
I hope this can help others too, but bare in mind that for many amps a tonal change can be a good thing, butas for maintaining your amps real tone the mad professor and the bd2 was unmatched out of this bunch, closely followed by the OCD. The BD2 is lots cheaper than the two other units though. The little green did look the best though, but I really could not justify paying 3 times as much as the BD2.

Does anyone have any experience with the keeley modded BD2? How does it differ from the boss unit?

Why didn't you get a boost pedal? A boost pedal wouldn't change your fundamental tone at all, and just give you more gain and a more saturated sound...

Examples would be a BBE Boosta Grande or an MXR Microamp.

I definitely don't think the the Boss BD2 is transparent, see as how it adds clipping on top of your signal.
In fact, pretty much all the pedals you listed change your tone - The Maxon, the Ibanez, the BBE Green Screamer, and the Mad Professor are all based off the SAME pedal design, and all have a midrange hump in their frequency response. The Fulldrive is a distortion pedal, so of course it change your tone. The Blues Driver is a distoretion pedal, of course it changes your tone.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Why didn't you get a boost pedal? A boost pedal wouldn't change your fundamental tone at all, and just give you more gain and a more saturated sound...

Examples would be a BBE Boosta Grande or an MXR Microamp.

I definitely don't think the the Boss BD2 is transparent, see as how it adds clipping on top of your signal.
In fact, pretty much all the pedals you listed change your tone - The Maxon, the Ibanez, the BBE Green Screamer, and the Mad Professor are all based off the SAME pedal design, and all have a midrange hump in their frequency response. The Fulldrive is a distortion pedal, so of course it change your tone. The Blues Driver is a distoretion pedal, of course it changes your tone.

Well In theory your right(except maybe your claim thath the bd is a distortion pedal?), but I'm only writing what me ears told me I'm afraid to use too much boost as I'm afraid to push the amp too hard. To my ears the BD and the litlle green did not change the tone at all. on lower volumes they sounded like crap but with the amp cranked and the tubes really working they merely added more gain. I'm not disregarding the fact that there might be some slight change you could meassure, but to my ears there were none. And believe me, my ears are extremely critical. I have probably had around 8 amps this last half year and never got truly satisfied till i found the marshall hw, I have had a lot of pedals too but sold them all too.
But again any transistor based od pedal will sound cheap and crappy unless you use it on tubes being pushed pretty hardly. Hell you'll never ever come close to good distortion unless you have those tubes cooking. But at this point I found the bd2 and the little green to be the most transparent. What do you use then?
Explain to me why an overdrive's gain and a clean boost's gain are different? They aren't .

And you amp will be fine with a boost in front of it. The Dallas Rangemaster has way more gain than any of those overdrive pedals or clean boosts, and Brian May used it full blast in front of his AC30's.

The Blue Driver isn't a distortion pedal? Really. Run it clean on any amp, and it will add clipping. Now try and roll your guitar's volume down. Watch your amp stay dirty. That's not a clean boost.
As for the Little Green - it is not tonally transparent. It's based on the Tubescreamers! It can't be tonally transparent. Fiddle the the body control, watch as it goes from the TS-style mid-hump to more of a treble/upper midrange boost.
Additionally - both of them add diode clipping. That's not transparent. That's changing your fundamental tone.

Me? I either use my EQ for a boost, which also works very well...or my home made Dallas Rangmaster clone, with a modified input cap. The Rangemaster is for fattening up my tone, the EQ is for straight up boosting it.

So seeing as I've built guitar pedals before, i think I'd know which pedals add diode clipping and which don't. The BD IS a distortion pedal.
Im not saying your wrong, nor am i disregarding the fact the you obviously know more about the technicl stuff than I. However to my ears, and I am sure to most's, the Little green and the bd are the ones with the least tonal change of the bunch. I will definately look into some clean boosts then, but honestly the ts9 changed the tone a lot to the worse, whereas the bd and lgw did not, least not in a noticable way, so its really kind of irellevant whether they are based on the same circuit or not, cuz they do sound different. But to be fair I did not try a clean boost so might have liked that even more. Your absolutely right though that the BD even with the gain at 0 still does add a bit of gain. Is that the difference betweeen a dist pedal and an od? weird though that they named it an overdrive pedal? To me though it doesnt really matter as long as I preserve the tone from the amp. I only use the pedal for a few solo's that need some extra gain, otherwise I use the amp cranked and get fantastic overdrive, and can clean it up with the guitar vol.
But will surely look into a clean boost, though I thought that you had a boost added more volume instead of clipping thus being harder on the amps trannies and tubes. correct me if im wrong
Well, boost pedals add gain. Gain = volume.
And really, distortion pedals and overdrive pedals also add gain. And distortion does not necessarily equate to gain.

As far as the naming difference between distortion pedals and overdrive pedals...There's really no difference, except Overdrive pedals are designed to mimic the tone or response of a cranked tube amp. Both of them add clipping either through transistors or diodes.

And like I said, the Little green wonder does affect the tone, but you can change how it affects the tone, using the Body knob. That's what makes it different from a TS. The TS-style pedals all have a mid-hump, though the BBE Green Screamer's mid hump isn't as apparent, as you noticed.
The BD to me, just isn't that great of a pedal anyway. That's mostly why I think it's a bad choice. The distortion on there, while better than say, a DS-1, still isn't that great.

And there's nothing wrong with pushing your amp harder. Again, that is how Brian May achieved his tone, pushing his amp with a booster in front of the preamp section, and then running the amp cranked. You need to run a tube amp hard so you're getting power tube saturation and distortion.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, boost pedals add gain. Gain = volume.
And really, distortion pedals and overdrive pedals also add gain. And distortion does not necessarily equate to gain.

As far as the naming difference between distortion pedals and overdrive pedals...There's really no difference, except Overdrive pedals are designed to mimic the tone or response of a cranked tube amp. Both of them add clipping either through transistors or diodes.

And like I said, the Little green wonder does affect the tone, but you can change how it affects the tone, using the Body knob. That's what makes it different from a TS. The TS-style pedals all have a mid-hump, though the BBE Green Screamer's mid hump isn't as apparent, as you noticed.
The BD to me, just isn't that great of a pedal anyway. That's mostly why I think it's a bad choice. The distortion on there, while better than say, a DS-1, still isn't that great.

And there's nothing wrong with pushing your amp harder. Again, that is how Brian May achieved his tone, pushing his amp with a booster in front of the preamp section, and then running the amp cranked. You need to run a tube amp hard so you're getting power tube saturation and distortion.

thanx for explaining so well The ting is though, I dont know if you've played any of the handwired series, but they're really working their ass of when fully cranked, and thats where I like to play mine, as it is where it sounds the best. There has to be some sort of limit as to how much they can be pushed? I'm not that technical when it comes to amps and effects, but I imagine still that there has to be a limit. And that i will get closer to that limit with a booster, rather than an od pedal that adds clipping instead of volume. But i do imagine though that a booster will get even more saturation and dynamics from the tubes. Is there some sort of rule of thumb as to how much you can boost over the amps natural volume. I know the volume naturally will diffe alot from one guitar to the other, I usually play my stock les paul with the burstbucker pro's sitting somewhere about stock specs from the strings. So already a guitar thats quite louder than lets say my tele.
I have looked a bit at reviews on boosts since you've said I made a bad choice on the BD. The fat boost from fulltone seems to be loved by many, though it seems more on the line of an OD actually as it has both volume and drive control ?
Last edited by chrisdam at Nov 15, 2008,
You need to check out an Xotic BB Preamp. Run the gain low and the level up and you've got yourself a pretty sweet boost. Sounds especially good with Marshall amps.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I have played it. Don't worry man, You're not gonna break your amp.

Never tried that Fulltone.

thanx alot ill try different ones out :
Get a Zvex box of rock, the clean boost circuit on that works wonders.

Also a great overdrive pedal that gets a pretty hefty amount of gain for use when you don't want to crank your amp.
Catalinbread make some killer clean boosts. Have a look at the Super Chilli Picoso. I have a similar model (Sagrado Poblano Picoso) and I couldn't live without it in my rig.
How about something as simple as the MXR MC-401?

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
Try fattening the tone up with an EQ maybe? A nice reverb and delay can make things a lot fuller too. I use a 100 watt super lead and dont run any OD pedals... None of them sound as good as what my amp does on it own... DUH. And if you ever turned a super lead all the way up, I highly doubt you will be asking for more.
yeah it is, the clean boost circuit and od circuit are independent too and the od circuit works wonders for people who have vintage-style Marshall amps but can't turn them up.

plus, now you can get the Vexter series BoR for $200 (as opposed to the ridiculous price tag they used to be when they hand painted all the units)
Quote by Mase947
Try fattening the tone up with an EQ maybe? A nice reverb and delay can make things a lot fuller too. I use a 100 watt super lead and dont run any OD pedals... None of them sound as good as what my amp does on it own... DUH. And if you ever turned a super lead all the way up, I highly doubt you will be asking for more.

I really did not get this post maybe I am tired. But the point was that I DON'T want to change the sound, never asked for a fuller tone?
And I always have my amp cranked, and yes I do need a bit more gain for some solos What point are you trying to make?
Quote by al112987
Get a Zvex box of rock, the clean boost circuit on that works wonders.

Also a great overdrive pedal that gets a pretty hefty amount of gain for use when you don't want to crank your amp.

Sounds great. But not really what I am after. As mentioned I always play my amp cranked all the way, but only need a bit more gain for some solos.
I will look at their clean boost as you and FORSAKNAZRAEL talked about
kinda hard to tell from the pic at first it seems like a joke of some sort but always exciting with something different