Alrighty,

Ive decided to join the world of U-G forums because frankly theres alot of intelligent and talented people on these forums.

This is my first post so dont be too hard on me

Ive come across a Mexican Telecaster that ive decided to Mod to my taste.

my debate is as follows:

I have a Seymour Duncan '59 that id love to put in the bridge of the guitar
the only problem is i would have to do some routing. This doesnt really intimidate
me because i consider my self decently handy. The problem is when i ask for opinions
I get a split verdict. Some people are entirely against routing holes into guitars while others have given me their blessings.

I am aware that seymour duncan makes a '59 that comes in the size of a single coil but that seems to take the fun out of the project.

Any opinions?
Quote by ThreeB's
Alrighty,

Ive decided to join the world of U-G forums because frankly theres alot of intelligent and talented people on these forum.

Intelligent?

Talented?

The U-G Forums are full of 14 year old, sex/fapping/rape crazed, idiots...

...Welcome
seems easy enough. if you know the wiring and what not, go for it
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Go for it dude, you can learn a lot. Besides, if you screw it up it's just a mexi-tele. You'd be amazed at what a cheap-ass guitar can sound like with decent pickups. I just bought a Lace Sensor Dually for my USA HM Strat from Guitar Center on sale for fifty bucks. It's a silver/red combination. Lace sensors sound awesome in a Tele, and they're running that special on the dually all month I think. It's a lot more versatile than a Duncan, switchable three different ways, just a thought. Good Luck.
Routing a hole in your guitar will do it no harm. Go ahead.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Thanks Everyone for the rapid responses,
I will commence work on this project as soon as i can.

I will also be giving the guitar a custom paint job and such.

I will post pictures of my progress if anyone is interested.
About the single coil size '59 humbucker, I'd recommend you go with that. A friend of mine has a MIM tele with a SC size humbucker in the bridge, and it sounds sweet. But, if you want a full size humbucker, route away. A full-size humbucker in a Tele bridge looks downright ugly IMHO, judging by what I've seen of the ugly known as the J5 telecaster. Either way, good luck.
Quote by timi_hendrix
That looks like a digestive biscuit that's been thrown up by a cat.
Quote by damskippy
Go for it dude, you can learn a lot. Besides, if you screw it up it's just a mexi-tele. You'd be amazed at what a cheap-ass guitar can sound like with decent pickups. I just bought a Lace Sensor Dually for my USA HM Strat from Guitar Center on sale for fifty bucks. It's a silver/red combination. Lace sensors sound awesome in a Tele, and they're running that special on the dually all month I think. It's a lot more versatile than a Duncan, switchable three different ways, just a thought. Good Luck.

Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead uses lace sensors in a tele. He has pretty good, genuinely different tone (but he uses the red/red dually in the bridge and yet apparently uses SS amps for distorted sounds - can anyone explain this?)

Routing your tele will be fun. It's nat exactly a huge chunk of wood, it won't have a huge difference in tone.
Routing for a floating trem or cutting a huge chunk out for no reason (EVH's "Shark" readily springs to mind) is how far you'd have to go to really change the sound. 'Sides, I think full sized 'buckers look great in teles. Personal preference, I guess.
Don't get the SC sized version - it's a compromise and it will probably sound thinner than if you cut that bit of wood out. It's lazy and boring too.
Quote by 6cradle6of6filt
Intelligent?

Talented?

The U-G Forums are full of 14 year old, sex/fapping/rape crazed, idiots...

...Welcome

That's just The Pit. The rest of this place isn't so bad.
Вяєҭҭ
ZeGuitarist's sister is hawt.
?)
Quote by Rock Pig
Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead uses lace sensors in a tele. He has pretty good, genuinely different tone (but he uses the red/red dually in the bridge and yet apparently uses SS amps for distorted sounds - can anyone explain this?)

Routing your tele will be fun. It's nat exactly a huge chunk of wood, it won't have a huge difference in tone.
Routing for a floating trem or cutting a huge chunk out for no reason (EVH's "Shark" readily springs to mind) is how far you'd have to go to really change the sound. 'Sides, I think full sized 'buckers look great in teles. Personal preference, I guess.
Don't get the SC sized version - it's a compromise and it will probably sound thinner than if you cut that bit of wood out. It's lazy and boring too.
SS amps are usually more predictable and can be a bit more reliable, especially on stage. No tubes to replace in the middle of a show. That and he's probably got some kind of endorsement.
Quote by damskippy
SS amps are usually more predictable and can be a bit more reliable, especially on stage. No tubes to replace in the middle of a show. That and he's probably got some kind of endorsement.

Tube amps aren't what I would describe as unreliable. I mean, tubes usually don't just blow out, they kind of get worse and worse over a few days or so. Plus, if you get your tubes to that point, you deserve disaster!

Tubes have a different tone, and it's usually a little more desirable for most players.
Quote by damskippy

I meant, the red/red is damn high output - wouldn't that sound crap through an SS?

Tell you what TS, give it the Frankenstrat paint job. You'll be SUCH an individual.
No, keep it simple. A Da Vinci painting would look shite on as guitar, and a square of Lake Placid Blue finish wouldn't sit comfortably in the Louvre.
But those Lake Placid Blue Strats are the best looking of the lot, and the Mona Lisa is, well, the Mona Lisa.