Hey, i looked around and couldnt really find an answer on the forums sooo...
I want to know what i need for my bands vocal setup. We were going to save up for a pa/mixer package but that isnt going to work out. So i need a fairly cheap alternative, i really dont know the price range of this area. i read something about going from mic to preamp to speaker, but it sounded like that was best for recording not gigging. well be playing fairly loud hard rock.
You need a PA, or at the very least some type of amp that allows for use with a mic. Like an acoustic amp or similar.
without getting too complicated, you can always use a hi impedance mic in an unused channel on your amp. or get an impedance converter from radio shack. and yea, i've done both and they do work
All my guitars are old enough to buy beer, are You?
keyboard amp and mic.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
why would i need high impudence, i thought low was better...and wouldnt going through my amp like get major feedback it with all the gain. Im not trying to be a dick like im questioning your helpful advice im just curious. I really dont know.
if you are going to run a mic through an amp, its better to use a keyboard amp, or at least a bass amp. the other option i can think of is to grab a powered speaker of some sort, then a mic preamp (some are pretty cheap) and then of course your mic. active speakers arent really that cheap though (MF has some for around $200) so this isnt really that much better than just buying your PA.

the other option is to get a powered mixer and a speaker cabinet. you can easily get a passive speaker cabinet for less than an active one (of course, quality wont be anything special). something like this might be a good way to get your live sound going. however, i dont really know if 100w is really going to cut it for a loud band.

really, the best option is to save up and buy things in pieces. grab a cheap mixer to start (4 channel ones can be under $75), then go with a decent power amp and some speakers. you could probably get an ok setup for $500. wouldnt be anything special, but it would be something to upgrade piecewise as you get more money.