Anyone played an Ibanez ARX or SZR? What are your thoughts? I would try one out at a store, but looked everywhere and can't find any in stock.

What's the tone, playability, and quality like?
Generally good quality, definitely worth what they cost. All models are good, though most could use a pickup swap, except for the ARX500, which has very nice stock pups.
The sound and the neck are much alike: Fat and meaty. If you are used to typical shred necks these guitars will put you off instantly. If you like a more traditional feel though, you'll like them. The tone is well rounded but has it's focus on the mids. Very warm sound, nice for overdriven blues and especially nice for all sorts of rock.
Quote by TheQuailman
Generally good quality, definitely worth what they cost. All models are good, though most could use a pickup swap, except for the ARX500, which has very nice stock pups.
The sound and the neck are much alike: Fat and meaty. If you are used to typical shred necks these guitars will put you off instantly. If you like a more traditional feel though, you'll like them. The tone is well rounded but has it's focus on the mids. Very warm sound, nice for overdriven blues and especially nice for all sorts of rock.

Sounds good. I play blues-rock, blues and classic rock, so I have a feeling it will suit me, tone-wise.

I don't like thin necks so it sounds like it should be comfortable. I already have an old Ibanez GAX-75, which is basically in the Ibanez Artist series, and I think the neck specs are close to the same, which is good, since the GAX is fast to play.
they are pretty solid guitars, but to me they felt a little "bland" to play.
The necks on the ARX and SZR are a bit thicker than on GAX guitars. At least thicker than on my old GAX30. And they don't have the satin finish, but a glossy one, so they feel more like Gibson necks. Whatever, try one and see if you like it.
Quote by Tedward
they are pretty solid guitars, but to me they felt a little "bland" to play.

Was it an ARX you tried?

Quote by TheQuailman
The necks on the ARX and SZR are a bit thicker than on GAX guitars. At least thicker than on my old GAX30. And they don't have the satin finish, but a glossy one, so they feel more like Gibson necks. Whatever, try one and see if you like it.

I'll see if the store would let me try it. Most stores in my city only carry the traditional guitars (strats, teles, les pauls, sg's), and to get a guitar like an ARX or SZR they'd have to order it, and they pretty much told me I'd be expected to buy it if they did. But I'll see.

Thanks