Kay. Think I found the right forum to help me out in this area.

Anyways... I've been looking for something to record my band with. I need to record guitar, bass, drums, and vocals. I'm on a pretty tight budget, and the Tascam DP-02CF Portastudio caught my eye.

Now, the most experience I've had with recording is running Wavepad on an IBM laptop with a Rockband mic hooked up to it (not bad quality, either), and I was wondering if this would be a good investment. Will I have any trouble recording drums with it? Is the sound quality worth $300? Is there anything out there at about the same price that is better or does more?

Any help or info is appreciated. If there's something else you need to know about the situation, just ask. Thanks guys.
for 300 bucks you can get much better stuff
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
don't forget that in your budget you are going to have to account for mic(s), cords, and other what nots. The rockband mic is going to sound like poo.

Keep in mind any portable studio is going to be harder to use than the comp based for anything complex. You will only be able to do two tracks at a time so drums might leave something to be desired unless you use a drum machine.

As for the quality of the product, from what I have seen they are fairly sturdy and the buttons/faders are nice.

Also, You can get the portastud (mislabled) at guitar center for 50 bucks cheaper and its the same thing.
Quote by Farether
for 300 bucks you can get much better stuff

...thanks?

Quote by Jared R. Boyd
don't forget that in your budget you are going to have to account for mic(s), cords, and other what nots. The rockband mic is going to sound like poo.

Keep in mind any portable studio is going to be harder to use than the comp based for anything complex. You will only be able to do two tracks at a time so drums might leave something to be desired unless you use a drum machine.

As for the quality of the product, from what I have seen they are fairly sturdy and the buttons/faders are nice.

Also, You can get the portastud (mislabled) at guitar center for 50 bucks cheaper and its the same thing.

I know about the mics and cables and all that. Everyone in the band is expected to get their own mics for whatever they do. The drummer's got a set of drum mics for his stuff, I've got a couple mics for micing up amps and whatnot, vocalist has an SM-58, I think. Only reason I was using a rockband mic into a laptop was the USB input made it simple.

I'm looking for something that doesn't require a computer, as the laptop I have now is issued by my highschool, and they collect them at the end of the school year for the summer, which is when we do most of our playing, gigging, writing, general musical work.

I saw the Portastud. That's what I was planning on getting because of the awesome name.

About the drums, could I use a mixer, run all the drum mics to said mixer, then run that to the Portastudio?