Can anyone List the LP models from High end to Low end? Maybe a brief explanation why they are where they are on the list and what type of music they are best for?

Was just thinkin about these guitars after my friend took a BAD A$$ picture of a guy playing an LP at a gig. I'll have to post it up wherever that picture thread is when i get home.
dude... a guitar is a block of wood with strings... seriously, go find one that you like the look, feel, and sound of and stop getting caught up in getting the most expensive guitar.
Quote by mrmarc772
dude... a guitar is a block of wood with strings... seriously, go find one that you like the look, feel, and sound of and stop getting caught up in getting the most expensive guitar.

He's not necessarily talking about the price is he, there are lots of other differences too when it comes to high end/low end guitars, he didnt say he wanted the most expensive guitar did he?
My Gear:

Jackson RR5
Marshall TSL601 Limited Edition Racing Green
Quote by dcvlehr
Can anyone List the LP models from High end to Low end? Maybe a brief explanation why they are where they are on the list and what type of music they are best for?

Was just thinkin about these guitars after my friend took a BAD A$$ picture of a guy playing an LP at a gig. I'll have to post it up wherever that picture thread is when i get home.

Generally the price is a good indicator but it's also worth noting that the higher end Epiphones are generally considered to be as good as if not better than the low end Gibsons. They generally good for just about any music, it depends what tone you're looking for and what amp you're using.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.

lp special 2 epiphone lowest, because its shit price like $100

peter greens les paul sold for 2 million

that should give you some idea
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
LP Custom is generally considered the peak of the regular models, but there are limited editions or signature models that pop up occasionally that tend to be better or, depending on how cynical you are, more expensive.
Epi Les Pauls are an acceptable alternative, but there are good ones and bad ones.
First, I'll say this: I recently got a Gibson Custom Shop 1959 VOS Les Paul. It's the best guitar I've ever touched. but, I tried three other Custom Shop '59s, and a '58. and a '60's, and a bunch of other Gibsons first, and all of those were awful. So, while some Gibsons can be amazing, it's just as likely they're bad too. Same with Epiphone.

So just because a certain type of Gibson is meant to be good, doesn't guarantee that it will be. Always play each guitar yourself first before you buy one, never buy online, and make sure you try at least ten guitars out before you settle on one. That way you make sure you're getting one of the good ones and not a shit one.

Secondly, I'll say this: this post is going to be long, because there's a lot of models to explain. But bear with it, I've got a lot of experience with Gibson and Epi Les Pauls, I've given every single model a try that they've made in the last three years. I won't pretend to know much about the ESP LP copies or the old 70's Ibanez copies, but when it comes to Gibson and Epi... yeah, I think I know my stuff. I have played them all, after all. So I know like this seems like a lot of info, but stick with it if you're really keen on finding out which are the ones worth bothering with.

Gibson and Epiphone Les Paul models, from highest to lowest:

- Gibson Custom Shop Ultima. The best production Les Paul ever produced. Only the highest grade woods and top quality parts are put into these.

- Gibson Custom Shop Historic Reissue/VOS series. There's 58, 59 and 60's versions of standards, plus a 1957 Custom, 1956 and 1957 Goldtops, 60's double cut, and 57 and 58 Juniors. They're made to the best standard, but they're made in the same way the old guitars were in the 50's and 60's.

- Gibson Custom Shop Custom and Axcess. These are really made the same as the regular Gibson Les Pauls, but they were put into the Custom Shop line recently, and they now come with all the extra stuff Custom Shop guitars come with, like a nicer hardcase and a full set-up in the factory. They're not actually built any better than the regular Gibsons though.

- Gibson Les Paul Supreme. It's the 'regular' equivalent of the Custom Shop Ultima. In theory it's built as well a the Custom Shops are, but it's not got that final touch of polish and care that the handmade Custom Shops get.

- Gibson Traditional, the old style Standard, Classic, Classic Antique, Classic Custom. These were all fantastic guitars for the money, nothing special to say about them; they were the main Gibsons, so what do you expect? Sadly, they don't make these anymore.

- Epiphone Elitist series. Precision made in Japan. Arguably better than any of the non-Custom Shop Gibsons, but cost a lot less. I personally would say they were better than most of these Gibsons, but most people think they're just a tiny bit worse than the Gibsons. It's really down to personal preference

- mid-90's Gibson Studio. These are the old-style Standards, just minus binding. That's literally the only difference. The problem is, you'll have to buy a used one, and people only ever tend to sell their mid-90's Studios if there's something wrong with it, so it's a gamble...

- New Gibson Standard. It's got some weird stuff (the new neck profile is awful), but it's built well, so give it a go, it might float your boat.

- Epiphone Custom Shop Custom, Epiphone Custom Shop Joe Perry Boneyard. These two guitars were originally part of the short-lived 'Epiphone Custom Shop', before they moved all the Epi stuff to China. Very few of the Customs were made to this quality, but about half of all Epi Joe Perry LPs are 'Epi Custom Shop' versions.

- Gibson Goddess. Looked like a Les Paul, sounded like an SG but with more sustain. An extra thin body, slimmer neck than usual, and a wrap-around tailpiece made this pretty good. However, it's pickups sucked, it was neck-heavy like an SG is (but with worse fret access than an SG of course), and they stopped making it awhile ago. Still a good guitar if you can find one, but not amazing. Great for a lighter tone though.

- Older Epiphones (Korean-made). These were as good as the low-end Gibsons, but much cheaper. It's that simple. Sadly Epi are all made in China now, and quality as dipped. If you can find an old Korean one though...

- Gibson Robot. They're low-end guitars, but the Robot technology is great if you often play live shows. Even then though, ultimately it's still a cheaply made guitar.

- Gibson Studio, Special, Vintage Mahogany, Faded, BFG, GT, Vixen. These are the low-end Gibsons, and simply... they suck. They cost twice what the Korean Epis cost, and were no better (and in some cases, are actually worse). The only reason the Robot isn't in this pile is because at least the Robot technology makes that worthwhile for one thing. Don't touch any of these, ever. You have no excuse to get one.

- Epiphone Ultra and Ultra-II. They're not really Les Pauls, just Les Paul-shaped. They actually sound like a hollowbody guitar (because they are almost totally hollow). But they're built fairly well, and if you like hollowbody tones, they'll sound good to you.

- Epiphone Prophecy series. They're 'okay'. But frankly if you want a guitar with a thin neck and 24 frets in this price range, get an ESP-LTD instead.

- New Chinese-made Epiphone Standards, Custom, Black Beauty, Slash signature, Zakk Wylde signature, etc. They have two amazing things: the locktone stopbar (which is better than the tailpieces Gibsons have) and 18:1 Grover tuners (which are better than the tuners Gibson have). Other than that, they're total shite. Simple as that. If you want an LP in this price range, look at Vintage, Rally, Agile, or some Tokai copies instead. They're all better than the new Chinese Epis, and cheaper too.

- Epi LP Studio & LP Goth. They're total turd, they don't even have the nice full 18:1 Grovers that the regular Epis have. There is no reason to ever buy one, a copy from Agile, Vintage, Rally or Tokai will cost the same as the Epi Studio, but be vastly superior.

- Any Epiphone LP Junior. I'll give it this: it sustains really insanely well. Other than that, it's shit, don't touch it.

- Any Epiphone LP-100, Special or Special II. These are, without a doubt, the worst Les Pauls you can buy. These aren't even good enough for beginners.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Are we only talking about Gibson LPs or ither LP shaped guitars too? Because I can think of many good LP shaped guitars that shit on the top end Gibsons.
Once I shaved them on a friends razor so when he picked it up he just goes "ARE THESE PUBES! OH MY GOD!" and starting beating the crap out of me.
My favorite Les Paul

Gibson Custom Shop 1968 Les Paul Custom Flame-Top in Triburst
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by DeltaFunk
My favorite Les Paul

Gibson Custom Shop 1968 Les Paul Custom Flame-Top in Triburst

and unless you work really hard, you probably will never get one.

start saving NOW!!!
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
So this post isnt what you asked for but...

What kind of music are you gonna play because it really does matter. I got a Gibby LP Custom for everything except metal, and for metal I got my LTD Eclipse and it plays great, so its all about WHAT you play not WHAT guitar it is.

Ive seen $5000 been made to sound like shit and ive seen $100 guitars sound like gods.

Its all you, not the guitar. If you like the LP then great, I do to its my favorite design. But its all in the player. Not in the guitar
Gear:
Agile 2000 2ts
ESP LTD Eclipse 1000, ASB
Amps:
Crate GTD65
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
I wouldn't say the Epi Ultra II sounds like a hollow body...I feel like hollow bodies have a brighter tone than the Epi LP Ultra II.
Les paul is good guitar but you can also go for an Ibanez. I love Ibanez guitars
Quote by mrmarc772

Lol I already have a guitar, not going to buy one for a looooong time. I'm just curious about the LP's since i hear so much about them.
Crap...totally forgot to post that picture...i'll have to do it later. The picture alone makes me want to buy one (even though i wont) based on looks alone.
Quote by Vastros
So this post isnt what you asked for but...

What kind of music are you gonna play because it really does matter. I got a Gibby LP Custom for everything except metal, and for metal I got my LTD Eclipse and it plays great, so its all about WHAT you play not WHAT guitar it is.

Ive seen $5000 been made to sound like shit and ive seen $100 guitars sound like gods.

Its all you, not the guitar. If you like the LP then great, I do to its my favorite design. But its all in the player. Not in the guitar

The type of music im more interested in is a rock/metal but i really would play anything except for jazz and blues type stuff.

I still wouldnt be getting a new guitar for some time though. I have only ben playing a little over a year and my taylor 514ce and ibanez s520ex are good enough for what i do ATM.
A lot of people think just because it costs a lot of money it's got to be a better guitar but that's not really true a lot of the time your paying for the name. I have played a lot of low and mid range guitars that were better than much more expensive guitars. The only way to tell is to try the guitar out, some guys won't touch a guitar if it doesn't cost 1000s of dollars but then they will knock lower end guitars but never bothered trying them out. I play anything that catches my eye if I see a guitar I never heard of or tried before I'll pull mit down off the wall and give it a shot. Of course I have played guitars that were horrible but they have been both on low and high end range I have played guitars on the low and high end rnage that were amazing guitars. The import guitars are getting better and better and IMHO some just as good as a guitar made in the USA and even better in some cases. It used to mean something when they stamped it made in USA but in my experiance that isn't true at all. Usually your just paying the high cost of labor and not quality labor at that.

The decision of what guitar to buy is totally up to the person buying it we can sit here and give you suggestions but when it comes down to it buy what you like, not what other people tell you, you should buy. A guitar I or someone else is happy with might not be for you. Try out different guitars and see what your comfortable with then you'll be happy. If I took the advise from other guitarists I wouldn't have half the guitars I have and I like them all from the cheapest to the most expensive. I have to say I do tweak/upgrade most of my guitars.
Quote by Horlicks
Flibble, you win all.
Yeah that post should be required reading.
Quote by johnro6659
A lot of people think just because it costs a lot of money it's got to be a better guitar but that's not really true a lot of the time your paying for the name. I have played a lot of low and mid range guitars that were better than much more expensive guitars. The only way to tell is to try the guitar out, some guys won't touch a guitar if it doesn't cost 1000s of dollars but then they will knock lower end guitars but never bothered trying them out. I play anything that catches my eye if I see a guitar I never heard of or tried before I'll pull mit down off the wall and give it a shot. Of course I have played guitars that were horrible but they have been both on low and high end range I have played guitars on the low and high end rnage that were amazing guitars. The import guitars are getting better and better and IMHO some just as good as a guitar made in the USA and even better in some cases. It used to mean something when they stamped it made in USA but in my experiance that isn't true at all. Usually your just paying the high cost of labor and not quality labor at that.

The decision of what guitar to buy is totally up to the person buying it we can sit here and give you suggestions but when it comes down to it buy what you like, not what other people tell you, you should buy. A guitar I or someone else is happy with might not be for you. Try out different guitars and see what your comfortable with then you'll be happy. If I took the advise from other guitarists I wouldn't have half the guitars I have and I like them all from the cheapest to the most expensive. I have to say I do tweak/upgrade most of my guitars.

Suggestions are what i'm looking for. Currently i am stationed here in japan so i dont have the luxury of going to a store and trying things out. I am just getting input and personal experience on LP's atm. I like the body style and i am basically looking to weed out the crappiest ones.
omg ...I just bought a Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany...is that a really bad guitar?does it sucks so bad?
Quote by MaEc
omg ...I just bought a Gibson LP Vintage Mahogany...is that a really bad guitar?does it sucks so bad?

I have no idea. I really don't have too much knowlege on LP's.
I have a Epiphone les paul studio. And a epiphone les paul Zakk Wylde signature, like em alot
kthxbai.
Quote by MaEc
Well, it depends what you're comparing them to really.

If you're comparing them to some £120 plywood Strat copy, then of course they're fantastic in comparison to those.

If you compare them to a Gibson Standard or Epi Elitist, they're considerably worse.

If you compare them to a £300 LP Standard... they're the same. You are basiucally going to be paying more than twice the money just for the 'Gibson' logo on the headstock and the better stock pickups. That's really the only two things you're getting for your money.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Well, I'll fill you in on the ESPs that Flibble missed.

On the whole, they have great build quality. Well, the ESP ones at least.
There's basically an LP copy at every tier of ESP's catalogue. As usual, lower end LTDs are an acceptable compromise, higher-end LTDs are better than lower end ESPs, and higher end ESPs rule the roost. ESP like to put shred-type necks on everything (even the Ronnie Wood model!) so expect a thin neck with huge frets and higher output pickups. They're great guitars, but they're UGLY with that thin binding and pathetic lower horn.
Quote by Rock Pig
Well, I'll fill you in on the ESPs that Flibble missed.
For what it's worth, the ESP LP copies I've tried have all been good, equal to the Gibsons of the same price. I've not really touched any of the LTD ones though so I wouldn't like to comment on them in detail.
Quote by MaEc

the only thing that matters is whether YOU like it or not.
part of the "Right-handed guitarists that are actually Left-handed otherwise " group
Quote by MrFlibble
For what it's worth, the ESP LP copies I've tried have all been good, equal to the Gibsons of the same price. I've not really touched any of the LTD ones though so I wouldn't like to comment on them in detail.

Well, I didn't mean missed as in overlooked, I meant in terms of you having not covered in great detail, and you're justified in having done this, because as stated in that virtually all-encompassing first post of yours as well as the quoted one, you're not particularly familiar with the ESP ones, and that's fine. Didn't come off as an asshole, did I?
Quote by pero_o
the only thing that matters is whether YOU like it or not.

In a way but at the same time he's just bought a guitar when he could have got one of equal or better build quality for less money.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by MaEc

If you can get hold of one they're bloody good guitars but I understand they've been discontinued so you might have to do some looking.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Rock Pig
Didn't come off as an asshole, did I?
Nah it's fine, I was just commenting.

Quote by MaEc
They're fantastic guitars considering how little they cost compared to other guitars of the same quality. The only problem is like Zaphod_Beeblebr said, they stopped making those a while ago, and a lot of the sites that are still listing them and selling them don't actually have them in stock. A few months ago I tried eight shops which all claimed to have them and every single one of them got back to me saying that actually they didn't have any in and either they were waiting to see if they could get more in future or they would try to import one for me... screw that...

Try an buy it if you can, but don't be too disappointed if it goes a bit wrong because not everywhere that claims to have them, actually has them!
can you tell me when? and in what stores did you try?
It was about four months ago or so. The Elitists were actually all discontinued about seven months ago.

As far as which shops I tried... I just typed 'Epiphone Elitist Les Paul' into google and tried every shop that came up!
i had $2200 saved for a gibson lp gold top..my dream guitar....but ended up buying an ugly as sin gibson lp gothic!

why?

because of the 20+ gibson les pauls i played over a 2 year period...it was the best playing..and sounding les paul i found...

play before ya pay!

good luck man
Quote by jessexxx
i had $2200 saved for a gibson lp gold top..my dream guitar....but ended up buying an ugly as sin gibson lp gothic!

why?

because of the 20+ gibson les pauls i played over a 2 year period...it was the best playing..and sounding les paul i found...

play before ya pay!

good luck man
Absolutely true. In one of the local guitar stores here, the best player they have on the staff uses a Gibson LP Studio from 2001 that someone came and traded in to the store one day. Now this guy could pick any guitar he wanted basically, he's got the entire store's selection at his fingertips and of course gets a huge staff discount... but he still uses the old used Studio. Simply because as far as he's concerned, it's the best guitar he's ever touched, even though they've got five Gibson Custom Shops, seven Fender Custom Shops, and countless ESPs, Ibanez and G&L's sitting around...

Of course that doesn't mean all Studios are good guitars (they really aren't), just that that specific one happens to be really good, while most other Gibsons are very disappointing. It cannot be stressed enough, when you're buying a guitar like a Gibson that is priced in the thousands, you have to go try it out in person or you're very likely going to get a bad guitar, and just because one guitar costs more than others doesn't mean it's any better.