How do you make sure what pickups to buy, do they have some sguitars with certain pickups at the store?
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
you could ask us based on what kinds of music you play and what your amp and guitar is

or, some manufactures have return policy's so that you can exchange them if you want.
Quote by MOOSE_CCR99
How do you make sure what pickups to buy, do they have some sguitars with certain pickups at the store?

the whole thing with pickups is no, generally you can't try them - which is why you need to do extensive research not just into pickups and how they work but also tone itself...how guitars, guitarists, amps and effects work together to make a sound. First off you need to be able to ascertain if a pickup change is even necessary, you want know exactly what it is your're wanting to achieve with a pickup change, and also want to be able to have a pretty damn good idea of how a pickup is going to change the way your rig works.

Pickups are hardly ever an essential upgrade, and they don't tend to be a particularly dramatic one either. You're not going to hear real benefit from a pickup change unless the rest of your equipment is pretty decent and, more importantly, your ears are well tuned.

It was a couple of years before I could even reliably spot the difference between single coils and humbuckers - and a lot longer befire I could start to spot the different qualities of different kinds of pickups. Would it have been worth me buying new pickups in that time? Of course not...it would have been a complete waste of my time and money.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Nov 11, 2008,
^ +1

though i'd say that once you have that good rig, a pickup change can make a pretty big difference. you might not need a pickup change before upgrading your amp, but may need it afterwards, kind of thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
k thanks guys
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
idealy you would try out the pick up in 'your guitar' with "your amp"!

but since that isnt practical,...you might get lucky and find the pick up that has your interest in the exact same guitar as yours! and they have your exact same amp!!..that would be an extremely lucky day!...then go to vegas and drop a g-spot on black 21~!

i will agree with the gull on one point,...do some research on the direction you want to go..that should narrow down your choices,.....most of the pick up makers have some guidlines for there pick ups in reguards to music..guitar,..type of wood the guitar is made of etc.

i dont agree with the misconception that different pick ups dont make a big impact on your sound and tone!!...makes a huge difference on my stuff..always has!

recently i was looking for a new bridge pick up,..did my research..tried out a couple...thought i found what i was looking for,...in a dimarzio evolution!!!...i wanted good note definition...the ibanez i tried it out on sounded just what i was aiming for,...and lucky for me..they had a xxx there as well!...so i snapped it up..rushed home...put it into my sg..turned on the amp ready to do some serious jamming!!...but to my utter horror!!..the sound coming out of my amp was some of the worst,..am radio,..sounding crAP I HAVE EVER HEARD!...i thought i must of wired it up wrong,...went back and straight wired it ..so there would be no chance of that being the case..(no volume/treble)...nope...no better!!...so i cut the brand new pair of strings off i just strung it up with 15 minutes earlier!!...i couldnt get that thing out of my guitar fast enough!!!...i was afraid if i left it in there any longer it would contaminate my guitar with its am radio waves of crap!

the ibanez was a bass wood ( i believe) bodied guitar,........my sg is mahogany.

so there ya go!!...i know it realy didnt answer your question,....but i hope it points ya in the right direction!
The difference between passive and active, though, would be a bigger difference. But the cost of changing the wiring wouldnt be worth it.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
The DiMarzio site is really good at providing clips of lots of their different pickups.
Unfortunately they're shite clips - you can't tell anything from a professionally recorded track through unknown equipment that's been post-processed and EQ'd to death.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
the whole thing with pickups is no, generally you can't try them - which is why you need to do extensive research not just into pickups and how they work but also tone itself...how guitars, guitarists, amps and effects work together to make a sound. First off you need to be able to ascertain if a pickup change is even necessary, you want know exactly what it is your're wanting to achieve with a pickup change, and also want to be able to have a pretty damn good idea of how a pickup is going to change the way your rig works.

Pickups are hardly ever an essential upgrade, and they don't tend to be a particularly dramatic one either. You're not going to hear real benefit from a pickup change unless the rest of your equipment is pretty decent and, more importantly, your ears are well tuned.

It was a couple of years before I could even reliably spot the difference between single coils and humbuckers - and a lot longer befire I could start to spot the different qualities of different kinds of pickups. Would it have been worth me buying new pickups in that time? Of course not...it would have been a complete waste of my time and money.

god, ive been trying to explain this to my friend - a beginner player who wants seymour duncans - for so long. think you just summed it up in one post.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by Robino_Ibanez
god, ive been trying to explain this to my friend - a beginner player who wants seymour duncans - for so long. think you just summed it up in one post.

Feel free to print it out for him...it's not copyrighted
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Unfortunately they're shite clips - you can't tell anything from a professionally recorded track through unknown equipment that's been post-processed and EQ'd to death.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i was kinda thinking between fender hot noiseless (the ones in the jeff beck sig) and texas specials.. ill be putting them into a MIA strat once i get it (this friday i hope!!). i play kinda blues, blues rock and jazz stuff, so alot of clean playing but i like to dirty it up somtimes. i heard texas specials were meant to be played clean (SRV-esque) so im wondering if their not a good idea if i wanna play with distortion.
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
^Well, the necessity of the swap and the improvement that may or may not occur when you perform this swap depends on what your current rig is. What kind of amp do you use? How do you run all your pedals and stuff to it?

Also, you don't even own the guitar yet? Why are you even worrying about new picklups already. MIA Strat pickups aren't bad...
^ +1
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
very true... new guitar friday hopefully and new amp xmas, leaning towards a blues jr, but ive yet to test it lol
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for: