How come when i tap, escpecally on the higher stings, i hear two different notes playing?

one is the note above where i tapped (as if i tap 12th fret high E and strum somewhere towards the headstock)
and the other is the Actual E pitch its suppose to be
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
you're hearing the tapped note, then the open string vibrating after u tap
:
BC Rich Bronze Warlock
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Fender CD-SCE140 Acoustic Electric
1962 Guild MKIII Classical
when your tapping both sides of the string will vibrate. this is perfectly normal. i assume your talking about not playing with an amp? because the pickups would only pick up the E that it's suppose to be.
is it suppose to do if i'm just tapping regularly?

Edit:
Yeah.. i'm unplugged.
So should i just mute it with my left hand?
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
if you're not amped, yes. like he said, and kinda like i did:

when you tap, you cut the string in half, i.e.:

-----------||--------------

^half one ^ half two || = finger

you're hearing each half vibrate, whereas when you're amped, you only hear half two, as your pickups don't get the first half
:
BC Rich Bronze Warlock
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Fender CD-SCE140 Acoustic Electric
1962 Guild MKIII Classical
Quote by victoryaloy
is it suppose to do if i'm just tapping regularly?

Edit:
Yeah.. i'm unplugged.
So should i just mute it with my left hand?

you could if you want. it should get better tone that way. if your going to be playing with an amp, like i said you wont hear that note so you might be unnecessary practice to mute with left hand. i cant think of any tapping that doesn't involve two hands.
alright thanks!
i was just making sure it wasn't something with the guitar that needed to be adjusted.

Anyone know any tapping song in standard?
the easier the better
Quote by joshjhasarrived
instead of using ur left hand to mute the strings, you could tie a cloth, bandanna or a wristband around the frets just after the nut. Although this means that you cant play any open strings.
The reason why this happens is because when you tap on a string(especially at the higher frets), the strings on both side of your tap will vibrate since both frets--above and below what you tap--will contact the string.

This doesn't happen as much with the lower strings because there is more space between frets, so if you were to tap one of those, there would still be enough clearance not to touch the back fret.

EDIT: To the poster above, a bandanna will not stop the vibrating from a tap. Since it is placed between the nut and tunings pegs, it has no relevance to the open strings. The only thing that really matters is the vibration of the string between the nut and saddle.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.