Page 1 of 2
We we're having fun with my Alexi-600 connected to a Peavy "dunno what model" 50 watts. Then I had the uber brillant idea (sarcasm) to put it on the clean channel, max the volume, and set the presets like this:
-low: min
-mid: min
-high: max.

My friend was trying it and was playing some heavy/trash metal so it was ugly and okay. Then I said "try the 24th fret on the first string, it's gonna be funny as hell!"

No super high note. Instead we heard a little "boom" coming from the amp.

My amp doesn't work anymore xDDDDDDDDD

Well guys, I know I was ****ing stupid right there...

But how can I fix it? I can open my open, I did it a few times... But what should I do? Or is my amp doomed forever?

Please help, guys... Thx forward...

And excuse me for beeing stupid and not beeing able to speak English properly...
Yeah, but this won't get my amp back! xDDDDDDDD

And I speak English bad because I'm French Canadian.
The amp doesn't work at all anymore?

If it turns on and there's still sound but just sound like shit, you probably blew the speaker.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
That was well worth the read

I applaud you.

Also: need to know what kind of amp.
This what disturbs me about this world. Why in the hell would cranking the treble on an amp be funny? I don't even think I'd laugh if I was high.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
This what disturbs me about this world. Why in the hell would cranking the treble on an amp be funny? I don't even think I'd laugh if I was high.

What if you were high AND drunk?
Then I'd be sleeping, and still not laughing.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Then I'd be sleeping, and still not laughing.

Huffing laughing gas?
Quote by Fender Usa
Boring old fart :P

wait... 50w amp? Full treble? Blown speaker? Doesn't quite add up.

Does the amp have a speaker out on it? If so, try running it to a differant speaker, if it's got a headphone output, use that to see if the actually amplifier itself it working. If that's the case, you can probably pick up a cheap speaker to throw in there.

Now, if it is the amp itself, do not open it yourself, unless you know what you're doing. The way an amp works, it holds on to the electricity it runs, even when it's unplugged and turned off, the caps can still hold a lethal charge, so don't try to do anything to the amp itself. Take it in.

But in the case of a "peavey 50w something," probably not worth getting fixed.
now youve got me scared...i usually put my trebs up pretty high on my amp because i like the brighter sounds usually, of coure my mids and lows aernt all the way down so maybe im still ok?
Quote by altoidwithmelon
You dont lose your virginity, you voluntarily misplace it.

Quote by Ur all $h1t
You should bottle up all of your emotions till they become a problem that requires professional help.
It's good for the economy.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/rabidpitweasels/
Quote by Thomme
wait... 50w amp? Full treble? Blown speaker? Doesn't quite add up.

Does the amp have a speaker out on it? If so, try running it to a differant speaker, if it's got a headphone output, use that to see if the actually amplifier itself it working. If that's the case, you can probably pick up a cheap speaker to throw in there.

Now, if it is the amp itself, do not open it yourself, unless you know what you're doing. The way an amp works, it holds on to the electricity it runs, even when it's unplugged and turned off, the caps can still hold a lethal charge, so don't try to do anything to the amp itself. Take it in.

But in the case of a "peavey 50w something," probably not worth getting fixed.

Well... My amp got both... but the headphones thing works as well as the main speaker... no sound with it too. Not even feedback when I **** around with the guitar cable... usually it doesn't a electric tone, 1khz tone or something.

Yeah I know that, I've experimented the shock myself -_-.

The reason I dunno what the peavey is: This is my debut amp, I bought it with a charvel without even looking at it. People told me it was a really awesome deal. So I never wondered about it and never managed to know it (used condition stuff).

So thank you man but I'm still pretty ****ed up...

Quote by MatrixClaw
The amp doesn't work at all anymore?

If it turns on and there's still sound but just sound like shit, you probably blew the speaker.

Not really, like if it was off... but the red light is on though. I had the problem some time ago, it was a "disjoncteur (french)" that was broker.

Oh, and to make it clear, it's only a good story to tell. I was kinda aware of what would happen, I tought about it... And did it anyway. I HAD to try had and my friend wanted to. it was the peavy or the line 6, and we wouldn't do that to the line 6, never. And huh... Ah, this isn't may day. I'm just telling you:

you guys won't believe me, but I'm actually not retarded (although this action was...)

[...]

thanks everyone by the way.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Well atleast yall can't knock the guy for scooping his mids lol....

When you heard the pop did you smell any type of electronics burning?

Yeah that's the first thing I went after, and check out for electricity and heat stuff (using my hands, idiot act again)

no such thing.
Honestly, get a new amp. 50watt SS Peavey's no big loss. Time to upgrade, I guess.
Quote by Thomme
Honestly, get a new amp. 50watt SS Peavey's no big loss. Time to upgrade, I guess.

yeah, I kinda agree.

but it doesnt fit with my budget...

I put money away for guitar stuff but I recently took it all off to get the Alexi 600 SE (badass)

And I actually needed the amp for this weekend... had to play loll

I know its a crappy amp but I really need it right now, so it's not a loss I would have wished for at the moment... (it's pretty reliable though, metal playing wise)

I still got the line 6, MAYBE. It lacks on power so I don't consider it as an option.

So I really need to fix it...
I woulda broken the line 6.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd
I woulda broken the line 6.

amp $$$ worth wise, no.

I need it seriously xDDDDDDDD anyone can tell me?

-no buzz/feedback
-boom at the hit of the 24th fret
-no smoke/heat/electricity running all through the whole amp
-on light is working
-no sound from headset too
-guitar pickup okay, tried it with both guitars.
Quote by pak1351
time to take it to a tech

Yeah... **** here techs are stealers... but I guess I have no choice.

I was wishing anyone here could tell me xDDDDDD

but I guess I'll get it at a shop... tomorrow...

please tell if you have ideas!
was it a "pop", like maybe a fuse blowing, or a "boom" like an explosion?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
was it a "pop", like maybe a fuse blowing, or a "boom" like an explosion?

fuse blowing,

I looked for breakers inside... no such thing.

like when you play with lot of volume and turn it off.
Quote by Hateandhatred
yeah, I kinda agree.

but it doesnt fit with my budget...

I put money away for guitar stuff but I recently took it all off to get the Alexi 600 SE (badass)

And I actually needed the amp for this weekend... had to play loll

I know its a crappy amp but I really need it right now, so it's not a loss I would have wished for at the moment... (it's pretty reliable though, metal playing wise)

I still got the line 6, MAYBE. It lacks on power so I don't consider it as an option.

So I really need to fix it...

well, if you take it to a tech, you're not gonna get it back before the weekend. I took my marshall in on saturday, still haven't heard a thing about it. Techs don't work instantly, and it ain't gonna be cheap to get that thing fixed. If it is a broken fuse, they'll charge parts + labor, which average labor is about 50 an hour and they always upcharge on parts and round up on labor... so, you'll probably pay $60 to get a 50watt SS peavey fixed.

How many watts is your Line 6? Cause, if I were in your position, I'd mic the Line 6, scrap the Peavey and save up for a big kid amp, like an AC30 or JCM or Mesa or something along those lines.
Quote by Thomme
well, if you take it to a tech, you're not gonna get it back before the weekend. I took my marshall in on saturday, still haven't heard a thing about it. Techs don't work instantly, and it ain't gonna be cheap to get that thing fixed. If it is a broken fuse, they'll charge parts + labor, which average labor is about 50 an hour and they always upcharge on parts and round up on labor... so, you'll probably pay $60 to get a 50watt SS peavey fixed.

How many watts is your Line 6? Cause, if I were in your position, I'd mic the Line 6, scrap the Peavey and save up for a big kid amp, like an AC30 or JCM or Mesa or something along those lines.

Yeah... I know... I just wanted to figure (or beeing told) what was the problem, get the replacment piece and do it myself ^^'

Line 6 is 15w spider3.

Next amp I get, it's gonna be a cabinet.
could do with knowing which model peavy it is - is it a valve amp?

You got any pictures?

Have you tried the gear building and customising forum? They will need to know what model the amp is though.
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Quote by Hateandhatred
I tought about it... And did it anyway. I HAD to try had and my friend wanted to. it was the peavy or the line 6, and we wouldn't do that to the line 6, never.

I'm tempted to sig this....

and Kevin, that video, awesome. Thats how I get after a lil bit o' reefer....its pretty embarrassing, but funny.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by cuthbertg
could do with knowing which model peavy it is - is it a valve amp?

You got any pictures?

Have you tried the gear building and customising forum? They will need to know what model the amp is though.

Okay. I'll post a picture later
Probably need a recone. I used the treble all the way up on my old amp, which had extreme EQ, for Surf. The highs Pooned my ears.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by a7xrocks02
dude your next amp is gonna be a cabinet? well ur gonna need a head too i hope you know

kinda have that already somehow.
Quote by lespaul#1
Probably need a recone. I used the treble all the way up on my old amp, which had extreme EQ, for Surf. The highs Pooned my ears.

recone?
**Tuts**

Only a French Canadian. So far you have:

1. A broken SS Peavey
2. A 15w Line6 Spider
3. A head?!!
4. Use Head with a cab
5. ???
6. Profit.

Or, mic the Spider, there's not a chance in hell you can fix that before the weekend.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
**Tuts**

Only a French Canadian. So far you have:

1. A broken SS Peavey
2. A 15w Line6 Spider
3. A head?!!
4. Use Head with a cab
5. ???
6. Profit.

Or, mic the Spider, there's not a chance in hell you can fix that before the weekend.

I think he means he's going to use the spider as a head... which won't get you that much farther from what the spider's already doing... mic the spider.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by Thomme
I think he means he's going to use the spider as a head... which won't get you that much farther from what the spider's already doing... mic the spider.

Lol I didn't even know I could do that. My uncle would gimme the head if I get the cab... lol so it's pretty interesting.

He's badass he's got a first release gibson lespaul custom <3

Sorry off topic.
Quote by Hateandhatred
Lol I didn't even know I could do that. My uncle would gimme the head if I get the cab... lol so it's pretty interesting.

He's badass he's got a first release gibson lespaul custom <3

Sorry off topic.

christ, don't even attempt to get the peavey fixed, just go get a cabinet.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by Thomme
christ, don't even attempt to get the peavey fixed, just go get a cabinet.

As I said before, I can't let myself do it right now.

OF COURSE I WILL XDDD, but I'll get into some really great trends, So I'm willing to pay for that or wait for a good luck. I once had one for a kirk hammett signature set for 200$... I regret not to have bought it.
Page 1 of 2