i know this question has been asked 1000 times but i cant find any of the threads. Ive been playing guitar for a couple years and im still stuck in the power chord stage. My friend who just started before summer is already better than me because he's taking lessons. I cant take lessons but what can i do to become a better guitarist? what lessons online can i look at and stuff.
What kind of songs do you learn?
What kind of genres do you listen to?
Shawn George Noel
Learn theory, there are some good tutorials here in UG, also hand exercises will help a lot with speed and getting around the fretboard.
Quote by xsv434
My friend who just started before summer is already better than me because he's practicing more.

Fixed.

Either way you need to learn the basics of theory so you should learn the notes of the fretboard and check out these articles: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?s=the+crusade&w=columns

In terms of technique you should practice whatever you need to play what you hear in your head, check the stickes in the AT forum for pointers on what and how to practice.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
im more into pop-punk stuff and like Underoath and The Devil Wears Prada. But obviously im not gonna get anywhere with my skills with that music. Im just wondering where to start.
Quote by xsv434
im more into pop-punk stuff and like Underoath and The Devil Wears Prada. But obviously im not gonna get anywhere with my skills with that music. Im just wondering where to start.

The obvious place to start is with older metal, start with things like Black Sabbath (War Pigs, Paranoid, Symptom of the Universe) and once you can play the harder Sabbath songs move on to Iron Maiden, from there go on to Metallica and from there it's basically whatever you want, by the time you can play Metallica songs you should have the chops to play most of the metal you want without going into the realms of tech-death and the like.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by xsv434

Listen to a lot of different music, ya know? Get out there and soak up all the great guitar players from every genre (Clapton, SRV, B.B. King, Dimebag- although he's overrated a bit, Page, Young, Slash, Hendrix, etc.). That'll get you inspired (I would hope). Then, learn some theory and basic chords and scales. Practice every day as much as possible. Lather, rinse, repeat.