Page 1 of 2
EDIT: Thanks guys, but nevermind. I got kicked out of the band today.
Quote by Crazymike100

You disgust me.

Quote by jack_off_joel
bro u are definately gay

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
A backstabbin' bitch who calls himself the 'oracle'?

Quote by 100%guitarmad
I AM GOING TO HAVE TO REFER TO THE FIRST QUOTE IN YOUR SIGNATURE

UG loves me so much. Do you?

MY NAME IS JACOB. CALL ME THAT.
Last edited by Silent_Jester13 at Dec 9, 2008,
play some...stupid ass punk pop like fall for you by seconhand serenade and remembering sunday by all time low and....some newer stuff..it'll go better with thme
Quote by Jackolas
You are my favorite August 08er, sir!

One day, when the time has come,
The truth will shine, we'll never run.
We both know just how feel,
I'm praying to god that this is real.
Looks like a pretty good setlist.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Looks like a good setlist to me, definitely throw in some oldies that the teachers will remember, as for newer songs, maybe some bloc party or vampire weekend?

My band is covering Should I stay Or Should I Go for a party on saturday, we're expecting it to go down quite well, I'll tell you how it goes.

Quote by Zycho
I wouldn't bother playing any originals.

Dude, definitely play originals, but especially if this is the first people will be hearing your band, make sure you have more covers so you can ween in some originals inbetween. Then maybe end on your strongest cover.
As you get a larger fanbase around your school and you've done a few parties etc a good idea is to do mostly original setlists with requested covers from whoevers party is, that's the stage we're getting to now.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Last edited by ScottB. at Nov 11, 2008,
Can't go wrong with some Cannibal Corpse.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Quote by shadesofanger
Can't go wrong with some Cannibal Corpse.

+1

All of the chicks will love you if you play ****ed With a Knife, Hammer Smashed Face, and I Cum Blood.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
So let me get this straight.... you have three covers ready to go, and you need to play three hours in six weeks?! I've been playing 25 years, and I would hate to be in your position.

I suggest:
-ask to play a much shorter set... like... six songs. That list of covers you mentioned looks pretty decent, though I'd want to throw some newer stuff in.
or
-bail on the gig, and do it now. Don't leave them hanging, and don't set yourself up for epic failure in front of everyone you know.

As far as originals goes... the audience is there to dance. Originals are a tough sell in that environment. Your job is first to please the audience, and second to promote yourself.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
So let me get this straight.... you have three covers ready to go, and you need to play three hours in six weeks?! I've been playing 25 years, and I would hate to be in your position.

I suggest:
-ask to play a much shorter set... like... six songs. That list of covers you mentioned looks pretty decent, though I'd want to throw some newer stuff in.
or
-bail on the gig, and do it now. Don't leave them hanging, and don't set yourself up for epic failure in front of everyone you know.

As far as originals goes... the audience is there to dance. Originals are a tough sell in that environment. Your job is first to please the audience, and second to promote yourself.

CT

All the covers i've looked at are extremely simple. To the point of where i've already learned half of them on guitar and vocals. My bassist is good (can play some Primus songs) and my drummer (can play "Moby Dick")

The couple covers we've played so far we've learned in 15 minutes total.

We can handle it.
Quote by Crazymike100

You disgust me.

Quote by jack_off_joel
bro u are definately gay

Quote by Oblivion_Rps

Quote by 100%guitarmad

It's not the individuals learning their parts, it's the band learning the arrangements and stuff. Good luck with that. I mean, we're talking at 15 songs an hour, you guys having to learn about 40 songs. That breaks down to over 6 songs a week - and making sure the first six you learned in the first week don't get forgotten or sloppy while you all face a barrage of new material that you're all cramming to learn! Not gonna happen.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by xEpidemicx
+1

All of the chicks will love you if you play ****ed With a Knife, Hammer Smashed Face, and I Cum Blood.

They'll totally be all over you after the show.
Quote by hostilekid

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Quote by Silent_Jester13
asked us to play the middle school dance

Don't you think you should consider a few slower songs so that the middle schoolers can make their pathetic attempts at groping each other while trying to dance slow?
Its middle school. Play some fallout boy, maybe throw a little Jonas Brothers in there. Hell play some Panic! at the Disco. People at my age love that shitty music! I swear people wouldn't know good music if it bit them in the ass. I bet they would boo Clapton off stage. Okay sorry my rant is over.
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
Hmm... seems the thread has been taken over by a swimming pool filled with sperm.

Quote by iantheman
Whenever I run out of tissues, I get worried that I'll be caught hopping through the hallway with my pants around my knees, a dying erection, and a fist full of semen.
^^^

Quote by Freunleven
Don't you think you should consider a few slower songs so that the middle schoolers can make their pathetic attempts at groping each other while trying to dance slow?

Thats why we chose the Tokio Hotel song. It's slow for most of it.

Yes, it will be hard to learn all the songs. But we all love challenges, I think we can do it.

Today we got down "Paranoid", "Seven Nation Army", and "Vasoline."
Quote by Crazymike100

You disgust me.

Quote by jack_off_joel
bro u are definately gay

Quote by Oblivion_Rps

Quote by 100%guitarmad

Last edited by Silent_Jester13 at Nov 11, 2008,
Just remember that its a dance so make sure the songs can be danced too, typical dances go with 5-7 big dance songs then 1 slow one. I would recommend something like (this is in terms of older crowd)

Blister in the Sun
Mony Mony
Kissed a Girl
I love rock n roll
Johnny b goode
Takin care of business
Wonderful Tonight

Not for a real example just an idea I took from my bands BAR setlist. I am not that old (19) and I can even find myself enjoying these songs. But basically get them dancing then end a set with a slow one.
my band did that as a first gig
dont do any originals
and i know its retarded but stick to mainstream songs
fall out boy, blink, Panic at the disco, etc
about 90% of the people wont know any songs on your list
Originally Posted by InvaderTSN
Step 1: Buy popcorn.
Step 2: Cut hole in bottom of popcorn bucket.
Step 3: Stick penis through hole.
Step 4: Ask date to get some popcorn.
Step 5: ???
Step 6: Profit!
Quote by ScottB.
Dude, definitely play originals, but especially if this is the first people will be hearing your band, make sure you have more covers so you can ween in some originals inbetween. Then maybe end on your strongest cover.
As you get a larger fanbase around your school and you've done a few parties etc a good idea is to do mostly original setlists with requested covers from whoevers party is, that's the stage we're getting to now.

He's playing a school dance for a bunch of middle schoolers. They will not give 2 shits about their original material. Stick with the mainstream covers.
ok first off i would cut it down to a 2 hour set at most. what chris said is a good point, but also think about your voice. do you think you can sing properly and loudly for 3 hours straight and still sound good by then end of it? i reakon you'd be struggling by the end of 2 hours.

as for songs:
Anything Fall Out Boy
Anything Panic! at the Disco
Anything Simple Plan
Anything Blink 182
Some Bon Jovie
Song 2 - Blur
The Impression that i get - Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Prisoner of society - Living End
Lullaby - Shawn Mullins (the chicks will love that one)
Some Red Hot Chilli Peppers
In The Air Tonight - Phill Colins
Wonderwall - Oasis
Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
All Apologies - Nirvana
About a Girl - Nirvana
Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley
Some Green Day
Times Like These - Foo Fighters
Everlong - Foo Fighters
My Hero - Foo Fighters
Another Brick In The Wall (part 2) - Pink Floyd (perhaps play "Happiest Days of Our Lives" by Pink Floyd Before that too, that would go down pretty good")
Love And War - Drowning Pool
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
actually throughout the night singers usually get better at singing cause their chords are getting worked and use to the stress... usually the next day or a few hours rest do they start to kick in to being hoarse.
Quote by DarkChilli
Its middle school. Play some fallout boy, maybe throw a little Jonas Brothers in there. Hell play some Panic! at the Disco. People at my age love that shitty music! I swear people wouldn't know good music if it bit them in the ass. I bet they would boo Clapton off stage. Okay sorry my rant is over.

Because youre the only one who has taste and the standard for good is set around what you like right?
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
play teenage kicks

and seriously good luck with getting that many songs tight in that length of time. i would ask to cut down your set if i were you. (even if it's just a bit) or you might end up looking like fools =[
Smexy. =]
This is something I've always wanted to do.
Start with some Pop-punk, and indie, then subtly move on to some harder rock.
After that move on to punk, then hardcore, then end by turning the gain on your amps way up, and screaming into the mic. Make sure theres still plenty of time left in the set, and that there is some shred of a melody in your ear piercing noise.

Play till you are kicked off.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Quote by solid_moose
This is something I've always wanted to do.
Start with some Pop-punk, and indie, then subtly move on to some harder rock.
After that move on to punk, then hardcore, then end by turning the gain on your amps way up, and screaming into the mic. Make sure theres still plenty of time left in the set, and that there is some shred of a melody in your ear piercing noise.

Play till you are kicked off.

This is what I'm thinking.
Quote by hostilekid

Quote by GoldenBlues
Quote by ehlert99
actually throughout the night singers usually get better at singing cause their chords are getting worked and use to the stress... usually the next day or a few hours rest do they start to kick in to being hoarse.

Depends on the singer. A singer with good technique will sing stronger at the end of the night than at the beginning, and will sing better after four months of touring than at the beginning of the tour.

If you don't have good technique, all bets are off as to how your body will cope with the punishment.

CT

You're kidding. You'd be lucky if, in a middle school dance, even three people in the whole room knew that song.

CT

Play some Death, Necrophagist, Slayer, or early Metallica.
Question not yourself. Challenge those who would deny you your true self for an independent thinker is the greatest enemy to those who seek to control you
You can always kill time by having extended jams.

Ina-Gadda-Da-Vida, baby!
Once again- Slayer or Necrophagist are your only logical choices.

Do it, you know you wanna.
Question not yourself. Challenge those who would deny you your true self for an independent thinker is the greatest enemy to those who seek to control you
Quote by Helloween_rox
Once again- Slayer or Necrophagist are your only logical choices.

Do it, you know you wanna.

+1, I suggest Fermented Offal Discharge and Angel of Death.
Quote by hostilekid

Quote by GoldenBlues
I think "F(_)ck Authority" by Pennywise would be an excellent choice to play.
Update.

We have successfully completed every cover on our list. With our original material our set will take up 1 hour and 40 minutes.

We have 4 weeks to practice and make it as tight as possible.

We're planning on adding 2 original songs and maybe 2 more covers.
Quote by Crazymike100

You disgust me.

Quote by jack_off_joel
bro u are definately gay

Quote by Oblivion_Rps

Quote by 100%guitarmad

maybe some cream?
sunshine of your love or badge are kind of slow fun ones fairly simple aswell
ooh and end with stairway to heaven cliche as hell but still
EVERYONE knows it .. its slow and fantastic mayb improv that out for like.. 10-12 mins if you cant do the solos or just for length
.... Play Hot N Cold... Katy Perry. I'm currently obsessed with that song... not because I covered it or anything... (It's SOOOO EASY... It's not funny) though I will LOL. Anway. I'm with Zycho... play MAINSTREAM COVERS.

I hope ya'll sound good. =D Good luck.
Nevermind, I got kicked out of the band.
Quote by Crazymike100

You disgust me.

Quote by jack_off_joel
bro u are definately gay

Quote by Oblivion_Rps

Quote by 100%guitarmad

Page 1 of 2