Maybe you guys on bass forum can help. I need to know what the lighter string gauges for bass are (if they even make them), that being anything less the .105-45. which is what i have on my bass right now. I play with a pick %100 of the time, would it be more feasable to just get lighter gauges strings so i could pluck easier? I still struggle with trem picking and 16th note picking because of the string gauge I think. How would lighter strings effect tone, playablity, action ect? BTW the bass i have is a 92 Jackson XL concert series, if that makes any difference. I'm going to be playing alot of thrash, speed metal so will this help my speed? Do any of you use less then .100's?

Any reccomendations of string brand is welcolm!
Lighter strings will actually make it more difficult because they have less tension. This means that the pick (or your fingers) will get bogged down in the string more. It's the same principal as being able to play faster at the bridge than the neck. The strings are more taut. Really though, this is more about practise and technique than about string gauge.
Quote by Pizza The Hut
I still struggle with trem picking and 16th note picking because of the string gauge I think.

You struggle with trem picking becuase the muscles in your hand/wrist aren't strong enough. Get a metronome, set it slow, then subdivide. Once you're good with that, speed it up and start over.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you