I've got a Dean Razorback V with the standard Seymour Duncah Dimebucker/Dean Humbucker pups, and I'm wanting to change to an active set of pickups. First off, I'm not interested in doing this mod myself. Can someone give me an estimated price to take this to a shop and get them changed? Second, I'm torn between EMG's and Blackouts. I play all sorts of metal in a drop C tuning. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys.
Tempus Edux Rerum Sic Transit Gloria Mundi

Check out my band, Prosper! Prog/Metal/Core from Columbus, Ohio.
it'll cost like $200+ for the pups and probably over $100 to get them installed. why aren't you interested in doing it yourself ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
I'm expecting to have to cut some space in in the back of my guitar for the batteries. Is that not a problem? If so, I'd be more than happy to do it myself. I just don't like the idea of cutting a hole in my guitar on my own.

And the EMG's cost $200, Blackouts $150.

Quote by Fatal Instinct
I'm expecting to have to cut some space in in the back of my guitar for the batteries. Is that not a problem? If so, I'd be more than happy to do it myself. I just don't like the idea of cutting a hole in my guitar on my own.

And the EMG's cost $200, Blackouts $150.

no need to cut a hole for anything you can just stick the battery in the control cavity.
Well see if you can fit battery in the control cavity atm, if you can, then you can install the actives your self, its easy.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by SlashYourFug
I don't really know about price of installation, but definitely go with EMGs. They're hands down the best active pickups out there.

Even though it is actually a matter of opinion....

The batteries are likely to fit in the control cavity, so no worries.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Alright, thanks a ton! You guys just saved me a shitload of money. Are there videos on youtube that show how to swap pickups out? This'll be a first for me.

Quote by Fatal Instinct
Alright, thanks a ton! You guys just saved me a shitload of money. Are there videos on youtube that show how to swap pickups out? This'll be a first for me.

there probably is some on youtube but you should just look up videos about how to solder, if you've never done it before. it's easy if you go slow, be patient and follow the diagram correctly.
You speak truth, good sir. Unfortunately I won't be getting these pups til Christmas, but I'll review the stuff and make sure I'm ready for it so I can put them straight in.

I put some Blackouts in my friends razorback and he has a razorback 255 and the blackouts are more tone-versatile and just have a less sterile sound IMHO but its up to you and the sound you like.
But I think you should go blackout =D
Quote by t heff
so perry how would u test the tightness of a pocket on a neck through? i mean if it can hold the wings to it then its ****ing amazing without glue
Quote by Fatal Instinct
You speak truth, good sir. Unfortunately I won't be getting these pups til Christmas, but I'll review the stuff and make sure I'm ready for it so I can put them straight in.
Great! that means you'll have over a month to practice soldering things, if you don't already have skill at that. your guitar's control cavity is not a good place to practice.

and be sure to take the cover off the control panel to be certain you DO have enough room for a battery. chances are you do, but ...
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

and be sure to take the cover off the control panel to be certain you DO have enough room for a battery. chances are you do, but ...

Sometimes it won't fit due to the need of mini-pots instead of full-size pots.

Can you get EMG-Mini pots? I've never had experience with them.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
^ EMG pots are mini sized pots.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
^ EMG pots are mini sized pots.

indeed they are, and if you get the zw set it comes with the longer shaft pots as well.
Last edited by mikeyElite at Nov 11, 2008,
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
It's actually longer shaft not larger.

thanks, that's what i meant to put
i have a longer shaft as standard equipment.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.