Well, I'm a 15 year old self taught guitarist. I can apparently sing decently.

I can't really make them work together unless I'm playing easy music. I have found another guitarist of my age who is incredibly eager to start a band. I also know 2 drummers, one of which is a beginner, one of which is intermediate. I have said I'll be in a band with each of them But no bassists.

I cannot play bass whatsoever, I have tried numerous times. Should I...

1) Convince other guitarist to learn bass, sing and guitar, play with better drummer in band, jam with Beginner.

2) Play guitar and sing, find bassist, have other guitarist, have intermediate drummer, jam with beginner drummer.

3) Sing, have guitarist, find bassist, use intermediate drummer, jam with beginner drummer.

4) Have an instrumental band (Until I find singer), find bassist, use intermediate drummer, jam with guitarist and beginner drummer.

5) Other

6) All of the above

7)None of the above
Gear
Fender Jaguar > effects (x9) > Orange AD5

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE EUNEIROPHRENIAC σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
ask if the beginner drummer will b a bassist
Quote by 08don
yes, thank you guitarfreak. free bj for you anytime. just not from me. no homo.
Do not convince the guitarist to play bass. Then they'll be a guitarist playing a bass, not a bassist playing a bass, and they are in fact hugely different instruments.

...write guitar music to the best of your ability. If you cannot sing over this, find a singer.
Keep practising guitar and singing, start with simple stuff, then move onto more difficult things, you'll get it eventually dont worry. find yourself a drummer, never force a guitarist to play bass, theyll hold it against you forever.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
first of all what kind of music are you playing. if metal go with the better drummer. if you can sing go for it. get the other guitarist and try to find a bassist.
whatever dude i can rip on bass and im a guitarist so your opinion sux ealtdharkon... i would say play EVERY instrument and get good at them all too, it will help you in all aspects of playing...
Gear: Fender standard 60th anneversary strat
Fender Fm 412r
epiphone jumbo acoustic

Quote by deaththrashcore
This morning I found a tick on my nutsack. Not the weirdest but the only thing I can think of right now...
Quote by guitargod_dime
whatever dude i can rip on bass and im a guitarist so your opinion sux ealtdharkon... i would say play EVERY instrument and get good at them all too, it will help you in all aspects of playing...

...a guitarist can pick up a bass any play the thing, but they rarely approach the bass like a bass, they play it like a four string guitar. I'm a bassist, and I play a bit of guitar, and I've seen the way other guitarists play bass, and there's a difference.

You'd have to have learnt bass first to notice, I guess.

...and thus my opinion is redeemed, ****er.
I don't think you need to start on bass, and yes, learning a variety of instruments can only strengthen your musicianship.

That said... it takes a certain amount of experience playing bass to learn how to approach it as a bass player and not as a guitarist picking up a four-stringed guitar. It takes sitting down and learning some groovy bass lines, and walking bass lines, and some funky right-hand stuff and so on - those things that go beyond just playing notes, but absorbing those things that are idiomatic to the bass that aren't necessarily idiomatic to guitar. THEN you can approach the instrument as a bass player, but not until...

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Become a singer and get really good at it. Exceptional vocalists are hard to find nowadays imo
It's really easy to tell if it's a bass player playing bass or a guitar player playing bass.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
Quote by Hammettfan4life
first of all what kind of music are you playing. if metal go with the better drummer.

Why, is metal the only genre that needs a good drummer?

All genres need good musicians to pull them off. Don't be an elitist.
'Cause I have done it before and I will do it some more....
Quote by BHowell

well I doubt he's playing fusion jazz
Quote by BHowell

thankyou. Granted, most rock drummers look at it the same way, but there occasionally is one who actually tries different stuff i.e. Taylor Hawkins, or Dominic Howard.
Perhaps the best drummer I have *ever* seen live (and I've seen about 100 actual touring recording acts) is a guy Jerry Mercer from April Wine.... a pop/rock band. Check out this solo - especially the bit on the snare from about 6:00-6:30. Anyone who knows anything about drum technique can't watch that without practically crapping themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQQaCzZmKnU

But definitely.... watch the whole thing.

CT

(and yes, I've seen Neil Peart from Rush also)

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by axemanchris
Perhaps the best drummer I have *ever* seen live (and I've seen about 100 actual touring recording acts) is a guy Jerry Mercer from April Wine.... a pop/rock band. Check out this solo - especially the bit on the snare from about 6:00-6:30. Anyone who knows anything about drum technique can't watch that without practically crapping themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQQaCzZmKnU

But definitely.... watch the whole thing.

CT

(and yes, I've seen Neil Peart from Rush also)

i totally didnt just crap my pants...

i think neil peart is pretty good, but not the best around. Has anyone heard of an Aus drummer called Lucius Borich *hope i spelt correctly* from the band cog?
Quote by AwesomeDrummer
i totally didnt just crap my pants...

But surely you must recognize that, although it doesn't sound like anything tricky, to watch what he is doing and how he is doing it requires a level of technique that most mortal drummers do not have.

In my 20 years of playing in bands, I have not played with one who could do that, or who wasn't totally impressed by anyone who could.

CT

I'm tempted to just wait for a bassist, sing/guitar myself and play with the Beginner drummer, and jam with the other two. It'll help the drummer anywho.
Gear

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Take the drummer that can keep time. I've met many beginner drummers that can keep time perfectly, while I've met some intermediate drummers that can't keep time to save their lives.

Definitely sing + play yourself. You'll have much more of a blast playing music. At least, I do.

A fellow guitarist of mine had decided to pick up bass, and that's how I got my bassist. However, you have to make sure that it's by their own free will, otherwise, it will turn out horribly.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
I need to desperatley find a bassist.
Gear

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by axemanchris
But surely you must recognize that, although it doesn't sound like anything tricky, to watch what he is doing and how he is doing it requires a level of technique that most mortal drummers do not have.

In my 20 years of playing in bands, I have not played with one who could do that, or who wasn't totally impressed by anyone who could.

CT

you realise i was being sarcastic dont you? lol since it's internet, i will forgive you as it's almost impossible to tell if sarcasm is apparent. Btw, that drummer was clearly awesome, and it'll take a while for me to get to that standard
Hehe.... I sort of inferred that... but wasn't 100% on it.

CT

Quote by axemanchris
I don't think you need to start on bass, and yes, learning a variety of instruments can only strengthen your musicianship.

That said... it takes a certain amount of experience playing bass to learn how to approach it as a bass player and not as a guitarist picking up a four-stringed guitar. It takes sitting down and learning some groovy bass lines, and walking bass lines, and some funky right-hand stuff and so on - those things that go beyond just playing notes, but absorbing those things that are idiomatic to the bass that aren't necessarily idiomatic to guitar. THEN you can approach the instrument as a bass player, but not until...

CT

+111

when i first starting play bass i had a lot of the guitarist mentallity and when i went to write basslines i had a difficult time because i didnt have the correct mindset. everything jsut turned out blah.

but after learning a few songs and listening to specifically the bass in a lot of songs, i learned quite a bit. i still have a long way to go in my bass playing, but at least im starting to write bass parts with the correct mentality. ever since learning what the instrument truely has to offer i've been conflicted as to which i like more. they both have such appealing aspects

and yea, i started bass because my band needed a bass player. but i wanted to play it, it seemed just as interesting. important: its not something i was forced to do. DO NOT FORCE A GUITARIST TO PLAY BASS. sometimes while jamming with other guitarists i trade them my bass for their guitar and they usually want their guitar back within 2-3 minutes cause they hate it.
Jackson DKMG Dinky, Ibanez RG 7321, Ibanez RG 350EX
Bugera 6262-212 (120 watt), Line 6 Spider lll (30 watt)

Pearl Forum Series Drums
Sabian B8 Cymbals (ride, hi-hats, 3x crash, splash)
i prefer This solo myself(starts at approx 1 minute), but im not a drummer and i know very little about technique, so i'll leave that argument to the big boys..

anyway, back to the question..

i think you should take the more skilled drummer (obviously) and leave the guitarist as a guitarist (obviously) and just look for a bass player.
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
Last edited by Dunjma at Nov 15, 2008,
Quote by guitargod_dime

dude a bass is played similar to a guitar but the role of the bass is a whole new world that most guitarrist dont understand, they see bass as a bigger guitar with 2 missing strnigs
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
hahahahaha!!! whatever loser.....
Gear: Fender standard 60th anneversary strat
Fender Fm 412r
epiphone jumbo acoustic

Quote by deaththrashcore
This morning I found a tick on my nutsack. Not the weirdest but the only thing I can think of right now...