I own a metal muff distortion pedal and an isp noise decimator pedal, but I was tired of buying 9 volt batteries for them, so I decided to get a power supply. I looked around my house first, and found an adapter that fit both plugs and outputted 9 volts, so I hooked it up to my metal muff to see if it would work. When I turned on my amp with everything set up, all I got was a very slight bit of static from my amp(which is most likely always there, I had decided not to include my noise decimator in the chain for the test). WHen I plucked the strings on my guitar, I got no noise whatsoever, even though my guitar's volume was at max. I looked at the metal muff and there was no light on, so I pressed the bypass button, but the light above it remained unlit and I still got no sound out of my amp. I tried the same thign with my noise decimator, and got the same result. I decided the adapter must not be compatible, so I put it away and both my pedals seemed to be fine. I went online and ordered a 1 spot adapter and a 5 link daisy chain, because I was sure that it was compatible with both pedals. The 1 spot arrived today, and when I try to use it, I get the same result, with both pedals. I haven't even bothered taking the daisy chain out of the packaging, as I assume that if the one spot won't work when it's not daisy chained, there is no reason it would work when it was daisy chained. Please help, how do I get my pedals to work with the 1 spot?
A complete list of my setup:
Ibanez RG370DX --> Live Wire 1/4" Straight Instrument Cable --> Metal Muff pedal --> Live Wire 1/4" Straight Instrument Cable --> Isp Noise Decimator pedal --> Live Wire 1/4" Straight Instrument Cable --> Randall RX120RH head and RX412 cabinet.
i think your pedal wont work cus you wrote too long of a thread
fight the power... with peace

Originally Posted by Cockpuncher 2.0
Fail town, population you

When God said "Let there be light", Joey Jordison said "Say please".

Man is a universe within himself
Bob Marley
Pox!
I used batteries at the same time as the power cable with the original power adapter I found lying around, but not the 1 spot.
Try the pedals with a battery again and see if that works.
My Stuffs
Whammy->DL4->Holy Grail->MXR 108->Mesa Rectoverb
OCD->Sun Face->Big Muff->535Q->DL4->Orange TT
Have you tried it with batteries again since trying the power supply to check you haven't blown anything?
Well first thing first Id put a 9v back in to make sure the pedals themselves actually still work and you didnt fry anything.
The pedals both still work if they are using batteries and not an adapter.
Quote by p0w3r0f2
The pedals both still work if they are using batteries and not an adapter.

Then obviously don't use that adaptor.
Weekend Warrior
Seems like you bought the wrong adapter?

I have a simple boss adapter and it works fine for the metal muff. YOure adapter should say

INput: Ac 120v 6-9w 60Hz
Output: Dc 9-9.6v 200mA

and it should have a little diagram of the nipple, make sure the white part is connected to the negative sign and the bigger uncolored part is connected to the + sign in the diagram on it. Id also look to see if the Decimator has the same daigram.
Quote by ML_Guitar09
Then obviously don't use that adaptor.

That's what I thought with the first adapter, so I got the 1 spot, which is KNOW is supposed to be compatible with both pedals. And the one spot outputs a correct amount of amperage, yes.
I don't know about the first adapter but one spot should work. Unless the polarity is wrong, cant remember if the MM is positive or negative center.
My Stuffs
Have you tried checking the pedals' connections for the power supply in case they are corroded or anything?
Quote by p0w3r0f2
That's what I thought with the first adapter, so I got the 1 spot, which is KNOW is supposed to be compatible with both pedals. And the one spot outputs a correct amount of amperage, yes.

Hmm. Not sure then.
Weekend Warrior
Quote by Kino22x
I don't know about the first adapter but one spot should work. Unless the polarity is wrong, cant remember if the MM is positive or negative center.

The MM is negative center, as is the decimator.

I can check the pedals for corrosion, but both have the same error, so it seems unlikely they both had the same problem.
Its not something stupid like the plug socket not working is it?
Quote by p0w3r0f2

I can check the pedals for corrosion, but both have the same error, so it seems unlikely they both had the same problem.

Do you know the outlet you are plugging the PS into works?
It seems weird that two pedals would have exactly that same defect.
My Stuffs
Quote by zhilla
Its not something stupid like the plug socket not working is it?

I plugged the 1 spot into the same outlet my amp ususually uses. and yes, the socket that I put my amp in also works.
Well I spent a while fiddling around with it, and it seems to work if I put a battery in the noise decimator and don't in the metal muff, and daisy chain them. Why should it be like this? I mean, the metal muff didn't work without a battery until the noise decimator had one.
All of a sudden the pedals seem to be having the same problem again. Nothing about my setup has changed, though. Does anyone have any idea what's wrong with them?
Hey p0w3r0f2 did you ever find out the problem?
I am having the same issue with the Decimator Pedal to and i am using the 1 spot.
Everything worked fine for about 2 months and now it doesn't work.
Last edited by spirithunter at Jan 21, 2009,
Yea i did all that...
I am going to pick up a new 9 volt battery today and see what that does and not connect it to the 1 spot..
Check the Polarity? If it hasn't been posted already..
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Power is getting the decimator pedal. When engaged the light comes on but not working...
This random adapter you found and used the first time could have been reverse polarity and screwed something up internally. Not all companies put parts inside their pedals to protect against reverse polarity. Alot of the adapters for other things video games, printers etc and some of the ones from walmart, radio shack the plug is reversed from guitar pedals. If this is the case the damage is already done new adapters and batts wont fix it. This a very common theme on UG to use random adapters for pedals with expensive results.
My board has been connected to the 1 Spot from day one with exception of 2 pedals which require their own adapter. This is what i have going on...

GUITAR> Jim Dunlop DB-01> BB Pre amp> Micro POG> Maxon PAC9> Decimator Pedal> DSL EchoTap> Amp

The Micro POG and DSL use their own adapters. Everything worked for a couple months now the Decimator Pedal is not responding beside the light going on when engaged.
I put a new battery in it and still don't work. Nice. Piece of crap.
2 months of minimal use and dies. Are you kidding me!