I'm looking to by a new amp in a month or two and I want something that is good for heavy metal, Something that has a nice gain channel that also allows me to have control over the highs mids and lows. I also want it to be powerful enough to get over drums when playing in a band. Although I'd prefer to have a tube amp just because I don't have one yet but I'd be okay with a solid state. I don't want to spend more than $500 and I was looking at a Line 6 spider III 150 watt. Are there any other good metal amps? Maby some kind of marshall or something?

thanks for any help
Line 6 will make you take your life within a week. Don't do it.

Not too many good metal amps at that price range new, but you could pick up a Peavey Valveking 112, and mod it a bit with the extra money and you'll have a great amp, or buy a nice OD pedal with it if you don't have one. Now, if you could find some used I highly suggest a Peavey 5150/5150 II used or a B-52 AT112. The B-52 is around $550 used, so if you stretched your price range a bit you'll get an amazing amp.
Dude the pearvy 110 envoy iv had it for about a good 2yrs now and its still ucking kickass. transtube emulation, 3 band eq for each channel. it has a clean and lead channel with high and low gain imputs and footswitchable reverb with level control. great for metal
Guitars
Jackson js30rr 6-string fixed bridge
Schecter Demon 6-sting fixed bridge
Ibanez RGR421EXFM 6-string fixed bridge
Amplifiers/Pedals
Peavy Envoy 110 40watt
Boss ML-2 Metal Core Distortion Pedal
MXR KFK-1 Ten Band Equalizer
try the bugera 6262 combo
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
Quote by JamesIsCool
to get a nice one am I gonna have to pay around $1000?

You get what you pay for so it really depends how you define "nice" to be honest. Is it possible for you to expand your budget to that much?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by JamesIsCool
to get a nice one am I gonna have to pay around $1000?

Pretty much. It depends how "nice" you want, though.
Line 6 Spiders are bad. Like, dreadful. Spending more money on a big one is just pointless. Same with a Marshall MG.

You'll be MUCH better off saving up until you have say...$1500-$2000, and buying a really nice tube amp.
Look into the Laney GH/VH series, or if you'd rather a combo, look for a second-hand VC50. The VC50 is discontinued now, but it was a great amp. 5150/6505 combos are pretty "metal" too, but yeah. Look around.

If you honestly don't care about tube/solid-state, Randall make a line of reasonable hybrid and solid state amps that aren't too pricey. Keep in mind they aren't excellent, but they're much nicer than the cheap Line 6 gear.
Member of the Laney Cult
Quote by this&that
what about a roland cube?

For $500 you can do SOOOOOOOO much better, especially if you're willing to go used.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
All you guys telling him to save, he needs an amp now so he can play with his band. He can't save an extra $2000 in a few weeks (well, if you do, congratulations).

Anyway, i'm going to agree with a couple of people and recommend a used peavey 6505/5150. You might be able to pick one up for $500.

The Bugera 6262 combo goes for $600-700 new I think, so you can certainly pick up a used one at that price or maybe even a new one.
Oh shit. In my post, I meant Australian dollars.
Just to clarify that.
Member of the Laney Cult
Randall Amps can get you decent tone and wattage for a lower price than others.
hahahaha look at all you people posting on this forum
australian dollars i still say the pervey 110 envoy $400
although there are other good amps out there. what are you wanting it for???? jamming in your room/with mates or what?
Guitars
Jackson js30rr 6-string fixed bridge
Schecter Demon 6-sting fixed bridge
Ibanez RGR421EXFM 6-string fixed bridge
Amplifiers/Pedals
Peavy Envoy 110 40watt
Boss ML-2 Metal Core Distortion Pedal
MXR KFK-1 Ten Band Equalizer
Last edited by SorteDiaboli at Nov 12, 2008,