I want to get the ESP Static-600 (Wayne Static signature) but the guitar has just one pickup (Seymour Duncan Distortion) in the bridge position. How big of a flaw will this be, if at all? I guess it limits it a bit in sound, not sure. I'm quite new.

The guitar:
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_wayne.html
the cleans probably wont be that great, but if you coil tap it you'll have a bit more versatility/better cleans.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
It depends on how much you use the neck pickup. I have a Les Paul Junior. I like the simplicity of a single pickup because I rarely use the neck pickup except on strat-style guitars.
Depends. If you got one pickup better be sure you like that pickup. If it can play the kinds of music you play, it's fine.

I'm guessing some extreme form of metal. ^^
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
It depends on how much you use the neck pickup. I have a Les Paul Junior. I like the simplicity of a single pickup because I rarely use the neck pickup except on strat-style guitars

totaly agree
i keep my neck pup tone at 10 on ocasion i go to the bridge
its probably cus ive been playing acoustic for so long its not normal for me to worry about settings
fight the power... with peace

Originally Posted by Cockpuncher 2.0
Fail town, population you

When God said "Let there be light", Joey Jordison said "Say please".

Man is a universe within himself
Bob Marley
Pox!
its a nice guitar i must say, but its always good to have versitility aswell and only having the bridge pickup might limit that abit with having nice cleans. i say go try the guitar and see how you like it and also keep in mind if you think you will be using the guitar for different genres of even just for clean sounding solos.
Guitars
Jackson js30rr 6-string fixed bridge
Schecter Demon 6-sting fixed bridge
Ibanez RGR421EXFM 6-string fixed bridge
Amplifiers/Pedals
Peavy Envoy 110 40watt
Boss ML-2 Metal Core Distortion Pedal
MXR KFK-1 Ten Band Equalizer
dude its a cool guitar and all but your paying extra just because its a signature model. unless you really like static-x, getting an esp ex-600 would be a WAAAY better choice
This is simple. Just answer this question:

When playing, do you ever use your neck pickup?

If you answered yes, then this guitar isn't worth getting. If you answered no, then you can consider it.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by bornfidelity
Depends. If you got one pickup better be sure you like that pickup. If it can play the kinds of music you play, it's fine.

I'm guessing some extreme form of metal. ^^

Pretty much what Wayne plays is what I would want to play. He seems pretty happy with it!
you dont need to pay the extra couple hundred dollars on wayne statics signature guitar to be about sound and play what wayne static plays lol
Guitars
Jackson js30rr 6-string fixed bridge
Schecter Demon 6-sting fixed bridge
Ibanez RGR421EXFM 6-string fixed bridge
Amplifiers/Pedals
Peavy Envoy 110 40watt
Boss ML-2 Metal Core Distortion Pedal
MXR KFK-1 Ten Band Equalizer
I vote: get a guitar that does more than just that one sound. That way, when you get tired of that one kind of music, you won't need a new guitar!
My gear:
Flannel shirt
band
Well, atleast the one pickup is a really nice pickup
I'm a big fan of the Duncan Distortions...If you got it though, I'd recommend getting it coil tapped for better cleans.

I'm pretty sure ESP/LTD made an explorer shape with the checkerplate finish a while back, which had two pickups instead of one...look on eBay and whatnot for it.
Member of the Laney Cult
Actually, i've got two of the checkerboard (EX-600) models for sale around me. Live near NE Wisconsin? I think one is 310, and the other is 400, but the 400 comes with an amp, case, and distortion pedal.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
My LP Junior has one and there's nothing wrong with the sound at all. It's just not great with cleans.
Quote by necrosis1193
John Entwistle once in a while. I had to try to find him when I saw The Who two years ago.

Quote by sticksause
butthose bagpipes sound awesome.
I wouldn't, because I always use my rhythm pickup. So much better sounding than the bridge.
UG's AC/DC Lover
Quote by SorteDiaboli
you dont need to pay the extra couple hundred dollars on wayne statics signature guitar to be about sound and play what wayne static plays lol

What can I say. I'm a fan-boy and I really like the look as well. Its not about the money tho. I'm not mega rich but whatever guitar I get next its gonna be about $1000 so...
Quote by Horlicks
Bridge pickups sound terrible for cleans IMO.

Agreed.
They're too harsh and too much treble.

But a neck or middle sounds more rounded.

But, if you don't cleans...
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
My Esp has one solitary pickup, Dimarzio Super Distortion and now a Super3 and I have to say when I got it it was a breath of fresh air. Almost overnight I was forced into learning how to use the volume and tone controls to get different sounds. It has to be said that the cleans do suffer somewhat but I put that down to the insane output of the pickup. I never find it too trebley though as I just back off on the volume and tone slightly.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
If you have about $1000 to spend, you could find something that'd probably fit you better then the LTD. Just look around until you find something. Your best bet would be saving as much cash as possible and taking a look on ebay or something.
It depends on the pickup for your cleans. I spent more, a lot more, and bought the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop '78. Its a low output humbucker, mine is rated at 9.1k and its perfect for me. Not all pickups can handle that, just gotta look for a pickup that is well rounded like a JB for example.
I wouldn't go for that guitar personally because its a one trick pony. No trem, and a pickup that to me only sounds good one way.
1 hum, 1 vol guitars have a different tone, I think mainly cause theres a lot more wood in the body cause it has not been routed out. I love them and their simplicity, most don't. Its a personal taste. With the right pickup and amp, your volume knob alone will get you different tones.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
It depends on the pickup for your cleans. I spent more, a lot more, and bought the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop '78. Its a low output humbucker, mine is rated at 9.1k and its perfect for me. Not all pickups can handle that, just gotta look for a pickup that is well rounded like a JB for example.
I wouldn't go for that guitar personally because its a one trick pony. No trem, and a pickup that to me only sounds good one way.
1 hum, 1 vol guitars have a different tone, I think mainly cause theres a lot more wood in the body cause it has not been routed out. I love them and their simplicity, most don't. Its a personal taste. With the right pickup and amp, your volume knob alone will get you different tones.

pretty negligible differance in tone for the wood there, you gain a bit of sustain, but it isn't a whole lot, and in the case of top routed Fender style guitars, you gain nothing.

In anycase, I've got a Dimarzio Super Distortion in my Ibanez, just the SD and a volume knob, and I love it. But, I've also got other guitars to round out the sound. The Super Distortion does in fact get me some really good clean tones, pickups with the word "distortion" in the title just means it's a higher output pickup and pushes your amp harder than the standard pickups do, not that it is distorted. It really comes down to personally choice on this one, a single bridge pickup can give you a nice, gnarly tone, but your cleans will lack a bit of low end (get ready to roll off your treble!). Personally, I'll never get or mod another guitar with/to have a single pickup.

Also, I should let you know, the Duncan Distortion is rated at 16.6k or somewhere around there, for the bridge and has a ceramic magnet, so it's going to be a really harsh pickup, compared to a JB, which has the same output but has alnico V magnets (correct me if I'm wrong on this one) which give you a much more natural tone.
Last edited by Thomme at Nov 12, 2008,
Quote by caraluzzo
If you have about $1000 to spend, you could find something that'd probably fit you better then the LTD. Just look around until you find something. Your best bet would be saving as much cash as possible and taking a look on ebay or something.

I know LTD isn't the top of the ESP line but either way I'm gonna get an LTD. I've done my research and I wam either going for this guitar or the ESP LTD MH-1000.

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_deluxe-mh.html

Besides LTD isn't as bad as people think. I'd still love to own this Static-600 model even if the cleans suffer a little bit.
I'd go for the MH-1000 but thats my personal choice between the two. LTD is not bad at all, nothing against them. Are you a Static-X fan is that why you want the sig?
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by SorteDiaboli

+100000

drewsta42 I vote: get a guitar that does more than just that one sound. That way, when you get tired of that one kind of music, you won't need a new guitar!

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Duh. One pickup? ESP at that? Get something u can play a variety of music with. Even if still ends up being a metal orientated guitar, u would still be able to play a range of music. I have an Ibanez, and i literally can play anything on it. And if all ur gonna play IS Static X, fine...i guess. But, if ur a general metal head, and dont close ur mind to only one band/artist, i'd get something MUCH more versatile. especially with the one pickup u WOULD have.

sorry to come off harsh. but...idk. If u just go and play the guitar, im pretty sure u would like it. Just saying that u could get more for ur money is alls
My guitars:

Ibanez RG5EX1
Eleca Dread Acoustic
Dean ML

My FX: Line 6 Floor POD Plus

In the end, fact means nothing,
its all about perspective
Last edited by hobozach at Nov 15, 2008,