Tabbing by ear. How do you people do it really well? I would really like to learn this skill and I'm open to any suggestions! I'm especially confused with figuring out chords and the like, since there's other notes in the way. I've been playing guitar for a while now, but I still don't know how to train myself to recognize and tab stuff by ear. Much help is appreciated!

Thanks

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha
Learn theory first of all. It might not seem like it'll help but if you can figure out what key a song is in but you can't get a certain part by ear then theory will help you guess what the part might be with some accuracy.

Secondly: Do it. A lot. It's a skill that only comes with time, practice and experience. If you ever want to learn a song try figuring it out by ear first, no matter how hard it might be, then when you think either you've reached your limit or you've got the whole song come online and get tabs to see if you're right.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
well i just have a good ear i guess. but i get the song on itunes and play it from the start. i listen to the first note/chord. decide what string the not might be on. pause the song. play a random not. decide if it's too flat or too sharp. restart song on itunes - listen to note again. try to match pitch again. once you get the 1st note go from there. see if you can figure out what key the song is in based on the notes you got from it
Alright, sounds good. How do you figure out what song a key is in?

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha
Quote by Pauldapro
Alright, sounds good. How do you figure out what song a key is in?

Generally the first note or chord of a song is it but in some cases you'll have to just guess.

For some genres you can make an educated guess though, in most of the less chaotic forms of metal the key is the same as the note the lowest string is tuned to and most guitar-driven songs tend to stick to the same basic keys (or keys relative to tuning):

E, F#, A, B.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Generally the first note or chord of a song is it but in some cases you'll have to just guess.

For some genres you can make an educated guess though, in most of the less chaotic forms of metal the key is the same as the note the lowest string is tuned to and most guitar-driven songs tend to stick to the same basic keys (or keys relative to tuning):

E, F#, A, B.

Okay I'll try that. What should I do after I find the key? I don't know where to start. Maybe pentatonic scales?

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha
Quote by Pauldapro
Okay I'll try that. What should I do after I find the key? I don't know where to start. Maybe pentatonic scales?

Well at this point just applying a scale probably won't do anything helpful, basically you need to train your ear to hear and recognize intervals and the only way to do that is to play different intervals so much that you become familiar with how they sound. Also you really should learn theory properly, check out these articles: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?s=the+crusade&w=columns

Going any further than this is getting beyond my reach to be honest, if you want to go any further you should probably ask in Musician Talk.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Well at this point just applying a scale probably won't do anything helpful, basically you need to train your ear to hear and recognize intervals and the only way to do that is to play different intervals so much that you become familiar with how they sound. Also you really should learn theory properly, check out these articles: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?s=the+crusade&w=columns

Going any further than this is getting beyond my reach to be honest, if you want to go any further you should probably ask in Musician Talk.

Thanks for the good advice! Is there anything else I should/need to know or some helpful hints before I start my ear training?

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha
Quote by Pauldapro
Thanks for the good advice! Is there anything else I should/need to know or some helpful hints before I start my ear training?

To my knowledge that's about all I can say, it really does just take time and experience.

I will say at this point though that my knowledge of transcribing by ear isn't exactly awesome, I'm not that good at it.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
not much to start your ear training. maybe if you think you've found the right note, check a tab so see if you're right. you don't wanna start off on the wrong note thinking it's right.

i'd know your major scales, and so if you figure out that some notes in the song are A, D, and E.
you could make an educated guess that the song is in the key of A major.

then you say the A major scale or write it down or whatever, and these are the rest of the possible notes in the song, assuming you've found the right key.

basically, just play what sounds right, and check and make sure what you're playing is right.
this is just restating but...

a good way to get a general idea is to play a note along the board, work with that note.

listen to the chords in the first verse, identify which are higher or lower.
if you match a note, you can get that chord.

get the first chord you can sometimes get a key. (like said)

get the key and you might get the other notes.

sometimes, doing this while plugged into a tuner can help you identify the note you're hitting, while playing along.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
That's what I was gonna say hahaha.
Quote by necrosis1193
John Entwistle once in a while. I had to try to find him when I saw The Who two years ago.

Quote by sticksause
butthose bagpipes sound awesome.
Thanks for the help guys! I will keep these suggestions in mind when I try to tab by ear.

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha