Okay so I am a beginning guitarist and this year I asked my mom and dad for a guitar and lessons for my birthday in addition to my Christmas present. I listen to all types of rock like Black Sabbath, Boston, the Who... and some metal like All That Remains, Killswitch Engage, Metallica...
Now my mom and dad already reserved a brand new BC Rich Virgin, which is a really nice guitar from what I hear. The only thing is I have not ever played it and I am wondering if it will fit my genre of music. I am also planning to make my own improv and if this guitar is too heavy to fit my needs, I might be unhappy.
The thing is if I get a different guitar it will be the same price if I get this "Virgin" guitar, but a considerably worse guitar, so it would be like wasting 200$ ( I am getting a fantastic deal on the BC Rich)
I would appreciate any thoughts and advice on a beginning guitarist.
the best advise i could give you is to go and have a look at a heap of guitars. nothing worse than getting someone to buy i guitar for you, or even asking us if a guitar is good. its all a matter of personal prefer such as feel,weight,look playability. so ask you parents if you can go have a look and a play with it see how you like it
Guitars
Jackson js30rr 6-string fixed bridge
Schecter Demon 6-sting fixed bridge
Ibanez RGR421EXFM 6-string fixed bridge
Amplifiers/Pedals
Peavy Envoy 110 40watt
Boss ML-2 Metal Core Distortion Pedal
MXR KFK-1 Ten Band Equalizer
Quote by Caliber1815
Okay so I am a beginning guitarist and this year I asked my mom and dad for a guitar and lessons for my birthday in addition to my Christmas present. I listen to all types of rock like Black Sabbath, Boston, the Who... and some metal like All That Remains, Killswitch Engage, Metallica...
Now my mom and dad already reserved a brand new BC Rich Virgin, which is a really nice guitar from what I hear. The only thing is I have not ever played it and I am wondering if it will fit my genre of music. I am also planning to make my own improv and if this guitar is too heavy to fit my needs, I might be unhappy.
The thing is if I get a different guitar it will be the same price if I get this "Virgin" guitar, but a considerably worse guitar, so it would be like wasting 200$ ( I am getting a fantastic deal on the BC Rich)
I would appreciate any thoughts and advice on a beginning guitarist.

Based on your music choices, I'd say a Epi Les Paul is the way to go. Or an HSS Squier Strat.

Both would be good for the style of music you like and they are good starter guitars.

I personally started on acoustic, but my first electric was an Epi Les Paul.
I've always been turned off by the design of most BC Rich guitars, only because they seem "gimmicy" and more about the design than the playability. But that's just me...

I would second [or third] the suggestion of an Epi LP or Strat HSS.

But my best suggestion, is to go and try them yourself. I, unlike many guitarists, simply don't like the way the LP feels in my hands. Its a great guitar and all, but just not for me.
Good Deals: imgooley, pak1351