I'm just finishing school and was looking at getting a new guitar, just as soon as i get the money. i was thinking of getting a telecaster but i'm not sure whether to get the american standard or american deluxe. i've played the deluxe and thought it felt and sounded amazing. i live in australia and can get the the standard for AU$1800 or the deluxe for AU$2400. is the deluxe worth it for the extra $600? i know it's got body binding, body contour, different pickups and S-1 switching. but i dont really care about the body contour, the binding and fancy inlays. surely it couldn't be that hard to do an S-1 mod myself? any opinions? thanks in advance

sorry i forgot to mention at the moment i play a squier strat, and i need a new amp too because i only have the crappy fender that came with it and a guitar's the priority for me at the moment. i play most styles of music i suppose, but i'm mainly playing at youth group at church and just jamming with friends at the moment.
Last edited by _fleas_ at Nov 11, 2008,
I am planning on getting an orange tiny terror with 212 cab, but i dont play through my fender amp very much. when i play at youth group, i have been using my friend's dual rectifier. he's just sold that, but there's other amps i will be using. dont worry im not planning on playing an american tele through a fender frontman amp
^^Generic answer.... You don't even know what amp he has.
EDIT: Not you TS.

I would get the Standard, because I'm handy with electronics so I could always do the S switching and I don't really care about binding.
Weekend Warrior
Quote by ML_Guitar09
^^Generic answer.... You don't even know what amp he has.
EDIT: Not you TS.

I would get the Standard, because I'm handy with electronics so I could always do the S switching and I don't really care about binding.

He said he had a fender amp that he got with his guitar , there fore i went on the assumption that that would be the amp he was playing through and that it would be shite

or maybe you didnt see that part...
also any opinions on the pickups? are the samarium cobalt noiseless pickups considerably better than the pups in the standard?
Quote by bass_monkey
He said he had a fender amp that he got with his guitar , there fore i went on the assumption that that would be the amp he was playing through and that it would be shite

or maybe you didnt see that part...

Oh, didn't even see that. I think he edited after I posted.

But I agree now that I see the Squier starter amp. I'd advise you to gat an amp around $700-$800 and a guitar $400-$500.
Weekend Warrior
Id get the standard, tele american deluxe extra features aren't enough to make me want to pay the extra money(if i had it that is lol).

However, with the american deluxe strats I would definately save up another 250 to get the deluxe, I dont think its worth it with the tele though.

Just get the american standard.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
Id get the standard, tele american deluxe extra features aren't enough to make me want to pay the extra money(if i had it that is lol).

However, with the american deluxe strats I would definately save up another 250 to get the deluxe, I dont think its worth it with the tele though.

Just get the american standard.

Care to explain why you think it's worth it on the strat but not the tele? Just curious.
Quote by ML_Guitar09
Oh, didn't even see that. I think he edited after I posted.

But I agree now that I see the Squier starter amp. I'd advise you to gat an amp around $700-$800 and a guitar $400-$500.

i dont know if you noticed but in my first post i mentioned i'm from australia. you cant get a half decent guitar for $500. to buy a squier like mine costs $300.
i won't be playing through my amp either except for at home for now anyway. once i start working some more i should have plenty of money, so that's not my budget as such. i'll spend as much as i need to get gear i'm happy with, it'll just mean putting up with my current gear for a bit longer.
Last edited by _fleas_ at Nov 12, 2008,