So recently I've gotten two other guys together to play, one in a novice guitarist, and the other is a classical pianist. We jammed twice now, the first one was good, the second one not so much.

My classical guy is pretty solid, but I gotta write stuff out for him, no improv skills (they'll come, I'm not worried so much about him).

The novice guitarist is well, a novice...he's struggling a bit, but he practices a lot, and he wants to sing. None of us can sing, but he's the only one that wants to.

Right now we've just kind of been messing around, none of us have been in bands, I play lead, and basically lead the sessions too, both writing out stuff for my pianist and showing my rhythm guitarist how to play certain songs and stuff. I need help on leading a productive session that will really bring us in together.

Any tips?
I would say to pick two or three songs that you can work on. A good song to jam to is "Hey Mona" or "Who Do You Love" (they are both the same song) It is an incredibly easy rhythm and you can do it in almost any style of music. Check out the Rolling Stone's "Hey Mona", then Check out Quicksilver Messenger Service's version. Even if you don't dig that music, I'm sure you can get some ideas of how versatile it is.

Another good one to do is just a simple Blues in E. When I get together with musicians I've never jammed with before, I always do this one. Usually do "Hey Mona" as well.

If you have a couple songs to work on, that always helps, because you have a structure to work off of.
I'm not an expert on jamming etc. but one tip I can give is that in order to start to work with each other effectively and get to know each other musically you should first start by learning a song together, something simple.

For example, in the loose jamming circle I'm in (one drummer, 3 guitarists, 2 bassists two singers), we all learnt "Highway to Hell" - AC/DC. It kinda paved the way for our improv as well as we learnt off each other how to keep in time with each other, when the right time is to solo, etc.

So yeh, learning a song together is a great way to get started, but it's important to make sure everyone in your group is at the right skill level to play it, obviously.

Hope I've been some sort of help.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
You can jam the shit out of a 12 bar blues.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
I don't have a feckin' clue - and this is coming from a guy who runs a pub jam night attracting 50-60 people a week...

Honestly, there's no real rules when it comes to jamming with other musicians except that you've got to feel comfortable together, and ensure no-one is out of their depth. As long as you guys enjoy playing together the improvisational skils will develop over time. At a beginner level it's a good idea to agree on different songs/chord sequences beforehand to get around this. Generally though, just make sre you're all comfy, that there's beer/whisky/coffee, or whatever, freely available, and no-one's trying to be too competitive.
Quote by LP51122
You can jam the shit out of a 12 bar blues.

+1

In jazz band at my high school, we used to take one day out of the week and dedicate it to jamming over 12 bar blues, working on our improv. It really helped a lot. I'd recommend using it.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
You should come up with easy chord progressions for now, 3 chords or something.. that you can jam on, blues 12 bar is always easy and fun aswell

make sure they're both having fun, show the piano guy that he can hit any notes in key and still sound good