I never got professional classical guitar or fingerstyle guitar lessons.. I kinda taught myself on my own. What I have seen everywhere is that you are supposed to keep your hand arced with no support overtop the strings. So it is kind of free..

I play with my wrist on the end closest to my body.. I like to have my hand anchored so I have more control.. When I need to lift it up for certain things, I do.

Is this the wrong way to play?
for fingering hand, the normal position is suposed to look like if youre making an O with your thumb and 1st finger, you should allways use the very tips of your fingers, and the less thumb contact the better, if your hand barely touches the guitar arm youll have very little friction and this will speed up moving your hand around the fretboard

for picking, basically you should never anchor, you can use your arm on top of the guitar as suport but it should be loose enough to move, other than that its some tone specific stuff, like fingering closer to the "bridge" or closer to the neck to produce a more harsh tone or mellow tone

its that basically i guess lol
---
i got tired of my signature and i no longer has one

---
I'm having trouble switching over without the anchor.. I can play a few Andy Mckee songs in the anchor position, and if i bring my wrist up and arc with no support I can't do it at all.
It's alright to anchor as long as you're not just using it as a crutch(e.g. pushing down on the guitar with force). Well.. that's the way I see it, anyway. To be honest, doing what is most comfortable to you is usually the best way to play.

Just need to make sure that you don't hinder yourself with your personal habits(learn to play without them as well to be more versatile). For example, I used to use my pinky as an anchor on the pickguard, but I found that it limited the range of my pick. So... I learned how to play without anchoring it. It was really uncomfortable at first, but definitely worth it.

I looked over your Andy Mckee covers and your technique looks fine as far as I know.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate

I looked over your Andy Mckee covers and your technique looks fine as far as I know.

indeed
you can do what youre suposed to already , i wouldnt worry about technique =)
---
i got tired of my signature and i no longer has one

---
Thanks guys. I would just like to continue getting better, and was wondering if changing position would make me a better player. It's not really hurting me that badly right now (as in hurting me as a guitarist) Anyways - thanks again
Ohh yeah. Forgot to mention... Good covers! They sound pretty smooth.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Thank you. I'm working on a 3rd one (Rylynn) and I still need to work on Nakagawa-San a little.
man just do whatever makes you comfortable. I was worried about this once and decided to watch vids of some of my fav players to see what was "proper". I stopped caring when I saw Clapton use his pinky as an anchor while playing a fingerpick song (which at the time i thought was wrong)

if you need to put ur wrist down, then put it down... if you need to pick it up to play a certain part then pick it up. is it comfortable? yes? then keep it up. would you be able to play faster if you didnt do that? possibly. would you naturally overcome that with your own style of playing? i dont doubt it for a second.
Last edited by Wiggly at Nov 12, 2008,