well, I went to Guitar Center the other day, and one of the guys who works there pointed me to these:

Tascam Track Pack LE: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=247007

and

Guitar Rig: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Native-Instruments-GUITAR-RIG-Session-FULL?sku=703278

The prices are exactly the same as guitar center. I understan that the track pack has a mic and headphones, but which has the better interface and software?
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.
what exactly do you want to do?
record instruments, just use your computer as an amp, or something else?

I've heard good and bad from the Tascam interface and have never even seen that NI interface before. I would assume they are just about the same other than the software. If I had to choose between these two packs I would go with the Tascam because of the type and amount of inputs on the interface.

If you are not looking to use your computer as an amp, you may want to simply get an interface and a good mic seperate.
Last edited by moody07747 at Nov 12, 2008,
Actually that NI pack doesn't look half bad! I can certainly vouch for the software that it's bundled with. I've had opportunities to use Guitar Rig and I like it.

The hardware looks decent. 2 channels, USB 2, 1 built in preamp.

DS
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Quote by moody07747
what exactly do you want to do?
record instruments, just use your computer as an amp, or something else?

I've heard good and bad from the Tascam interface and have never even seen that NI interface before. I would assume they are just about the same other than the software. If I had to choose between these two packs I would go with the Tascam because of the type and amount of inputs on the interface.

If you are not looking to use your computer as an amp, you may want to simply get an interface and a good mic seperate.

I'm looking to record intruments, mainly guitar, bass and vocals.
Quote by Jackal58
so, if I go with guitar rig, what would be a good not tremendously expensive condenser mic?
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by We'realltoBlame
I'm looking to record intruments, mainly guitar, bass and vocals.

Well you will need software drums with any of those interfaces but I would go with the Tascam since it comes with the MIDI ports on the interface which are very convenient for triggering software drums and synths.

Guitar, and vocals can be miced, the Bass can go though a DI box.
Quote by moody07747
Well you will need software drums with any of those interfaces but I would go with the Tascam since it comes with the MIDI ports on the interface which are very convenient for triggering software drums and synths.

Guitar, and vocals can be miced, the Bass can go though a DI box.

Ok, what would be some decent drum software, or does the included software come with something to do that?
Quote by Jackal58
There doesnt seem to be any text at MF that says what comes with that package so I am assuming it only comes with hardware. Most of those packs only come with a limited version of a sequencer anyways and so drum software will need to be purtchased seperately.

Session Drummer 2 (not sure if they sell that without Sonar)
Toontracks EZDrummer
fxpansions BFD

There's a drum thread pinned at the top of this section of the forum. The listed software here sounds outstanding but will cost you...
The tascam pack comes with cubase le and something else, and I'm pretty sure guitar rig does too.
Quote by Jackal58
I had a close look at the images for the Tascam set.

Tascam pack:
Interface with MIDI connections and two XLR inputs
ableton live lite
Cubase LE

Guitar Rig Pack:
Interface with one XLR input
Guitar Rig 3 XE
Cubase LE 4
KORE PLAYER
KORE SOUNDPACK POP DRUMS

I still like the interface Tascam offers but if you don't really use MIDI often you can get by by using the mouse to program the drums...
If you want to use a keyboard later on there are USB ones that plug into the computer and there are also USB/MIDI cables such as the EMU 1x1 which allow you to use any cheap keyboard off ebay (assuming it has a MIDI output port).
Last edited by moody07747 at Nov 17, 2008,
Quote by moody07747
I had a close look at the images for the Tascam set.

Tascam pack:
Interface with MIDI connections and two XLR inputs
ableton live lite
Cubase LE

Guitar Rig Pack:
Interface with one XLR input
Guitar Rig 3 XE
Cubase LE 4
KORE PLAYER
KORE SOUNDPACK POP DRUMS

I still like the interface Tascam offers but if you don't really use MIDI often you can get by by using the mouse to program the drums...
If you want to use a keyboard later on there are USB ones that plug into the computer and there are also USB/MIDI cables such as the EMU 1x1 which allow you to use any cheap keyboard off ebay (assuming it has a MIDI output port).

So which are you reccomending? Sorry, I'm being slow.
Quote by Jackal58
I'm leaning more to guitar rig at this point. What would be a good mic to get for it?
Quote by Jackal58
Shure SM57 is a good mic to get for general use.
After looking over the software I would probably get the NI Guitar Rig setup.

If you ever needed to use MIDI you could get an interface cable for that.

The two setups are very similar actually. I'm sure you would be very happy with both. In the end it's your choice on what to get.
Thanks for all the help! and now to wait till christmas...
Quote by Jackal58