Page 1 of 2
After five and a half years of playing guitar and never being in a band, I was finally offered a position playing lead guitar in a metal band. No one I know likes metal, so this was great. The drummer was awesome, and the rhythm guitarist had come up with some sweet stuff. Also, they had access to cheap recording, and were planning on touring the east coast over the summer. However, I decided today that I'm going to tell them sorry, but I changed my mind. I've been dying to be in a band, especially a metal one, for a loooong time, but now that I'm finally offered the chance to do it, it doesn't seem so great anymore. I would rather go get a job at McDonalds, spend my time playing video games with my two best friends, and just play guitar for fun.

Anyone think I'm crazy?
What isnt fun about playing in a band..once your on stage nothing feels better lol
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
No. You gotta do what you want, man. That's what life's all about.

And I hate your goddamn sig.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
I can't blame you. Respect on living a relaxed life, man.

If I was ever good enough to be in a band, I would at least give it a try. It just seems like a great experience, and a good door to open.
if i was you, id go with it
Bands I've Seen:
Ozzy Osbourne
Rob Zombie
In This Moment
Age of Daze
Blue October
Inward Eye
Thornley
Billy Talent
Rise Against
Rancid
Anvil
Theory of a Deadman
Shinedown
Pop Evil
Blink 182
All-American Rejects
Fallout Boy
Actually you might want to reconsider this. If your band members are great to hang around with and work with then you're making a stupid decision by not joining. You should give this thing a chance man. Spend a couple of months, maybe even a year.
Just wondering: Why did you suddenly decide it was not a good idea to join a band?
You said you were dying to be in a band for 5 1/2 years, and now you suddenly change your mind?
i just left a band i helped start to start a new band that looks like it will go in a much greater direction. but our first practice sucked. choices can go either way
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
i love me some bunnys

--> --> --> -->

Anybody up for a WookieCore Band? You let me know.

Watch me as i Rock on...
Quote by metaldud536
Actually you might want to reconsider this. If your band members are great to hang around with and work with then you're making a stupid decision by not joining. You should give this thing a chance man. Spend a couple of months, maybe even a year.

Well the thing is, I'm not a very social person. This is my fifth and final year at the school I go to, and although I have some friends now, I'm not as good friends with them as I am with the other two guys (they're a year ahead of me). People generally don't like me because I'm not very talkative, and no one really cares to get to know me or anything.

The guys in the band like to get high and drink a lot and stuff, and idk; I'd just rather stick with my two friends than start all over with people who only have music in common with me.
Quote by frottage
After five and a half years of playing guitar and never being in a band, I was finally offered a position playing lead guitar in a metal band. No one I know likes metal, so this was great. The drummer was awesome, and the rhythm guitarist had come up with some sweet stuff. Also, they had access to cheap recording, and were planning on touring the east coast over the summer. However, I decided today that I'm going to tell them sorry, but I changed my mind. I've been dying to be in a band, especially a metal one, for a loooong time, but now that I'm finally offered the chance to do it, it doesn't seem so great anymore. I would rather go get a job at McDonalds, spend my time playing video games with my two best friends, and just play guitar for fun.

Anyone think I'm crazy?

Wow buddy, classic case of being scared of change. Take a ****ing chance on it! Trust me, if you don't do this you'll regret it. If it doesn't work out, it doesnt matter. Now grow a pair and live the dream!
Originally posted by Camakazie:

On my gravestone i want jesus and satan fighting with lightsabers. Or a big hand pointing to the grave next to me saying "I'm with stupid"

Superman of the UG heroes and villans club, P.M. josh999x to join
I would at least play one gig you never know you might love it and keep doing it
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by frottage
Well the thing is, I'm not a very social person. This is my fifth and final year at the school I go to, and although I have some friends now, I'm not as good friends with them as I am with the other two guys (they're a year ahead of me). People generally don't like me because I'm not very talkative, and no one really cares to get to know me or anything.

The guys in the band like to get high and drink a lot and stuff, and idk; I'd just rather stick with my two friends than start all over with people who only have music in common with me.

Makes sense. I too try to avoid people who like getting drunk or high.
Quote by metaldud536
Makes sense. I too try to avoid people who like getting drunk or high.

Yeah; I really don't care if other people do it, and I don't think it's wrong, but it's just that I don't like doing that stuff, and it sucks hanging out with people who are high when you're not.
Why not ask them if you can be a temp guitarist and they can keep looking for someone and if things work out really good with all of you, you can be the guitarist on tour as well?
I kinda had a similiar case like that, give it a could practices or maybe even a show, If you dont then there is probobly no chance you will like it.
Your pretty ignorant for thinking working at mcdonalds and making about 8 dollars a hour then jamming with buds on stage having a awesome experiance and depending on the clubs and bars making ninety dollars a day
Quote by dethead666
Your pretty ignorant for thinking working at mcdonalds and making about 8 dollars a hour then jamming with buds on stage having a awesome experiance and depending on the clubs and bars making ninety dollars a day

He has already said that his band members aren't his ideal friends. As a guitarist one of my goals would be to be a professional solo guitarist rather than a band member. Like the ones on youtube!
Quote by metaldud536
He has already said that his band members aren't his ideal friends. As a guitarist one of my goals would be to be a professional solo guitarist rather than a band member. Like the ones on youtube!

didn't see that and yeah it'd be cool to be a solo artist but whats the point if your not going to meet new and cool people to inspire your playing?
And about the whole being shy and them not being the people you see yourself hanging out with very easily(that was the gist of it how I read it anyways):
I'm shy as ****, people don't like me, and I'm not into the same things as most of my friends. ****, my two best friends go to church every week and I was banned from that church for throwing birds at people(I was 17, piss off), we're nothing a like and if we hadn't tried to get to know each other, we'd hate each other.
You have to at least give a chance, you don't have spend the rest of your life with them, just an hour and see how that goes.
Your choice bro, I personally would've taken it depending on what kind of metal it was (I'm more into like.. progressive/doom/black, I know, odd combination).
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
Yes, ur nuts! Go in the band!
Gear:
Gibson Flying V
Jackson RR3 w/ Zakk Wylde EMG's
'89 Marshall 8240 Combo Amp
Marshall MG10 CD
Boss MT-2
Dunlop Dime Crybaby From Hell
Quote by dethead666
didn't see that and yeah it'd be cool to be a solo artist but whats the point if your not going to meet new and cool people to inspire your playing?

Yeah, that kind of sucks. I record a lot of songs (actually, just parts) on my own, and lots of the time I really wish that I had someone to play with so that I could be more creative, but then I also think that I'd be too controlling; the keyboardist that I'm in a *coughjokecough* band with always changes my stuff, and I get really mad about it.
The important thing about being in a band is having fun which is why I quit my last band even though I felt like they were my family and I think we had the best drummer ever. But I moved on....

...wow I feel old.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Quote by MyNameIsLame
Your choice bro, I personally would've taken it depending on what kind of metal it was (I'm more into like.. progressive/doom/black, I know, odd combination).

I'm into progressive, death and black.

It was a thrashier band; I really don't know how to describe it, here's one of their songs with just rhythm and drums if you want to hear.
http://www.myspace.com/rsmohio

It's not faptastic, but it's pretty good.
youd be crazy for turning down an ESTABLISHED METAL BAND ALREADY ON TOUR,MAKING BANK ON RECORD SALES AND MERCH
So you turn down a chance to do something you have dreamt of for a long time to work at McDonalds and play video games with your friends? Did they drop you on your head as a child?
Quote by p o e
lmfao man thats so sick and depraved and yet funny all at once

my hats off to you IbanezSA160, you have embodied the Pit into one little poem
Really solid song. The rhythm guitarist obviously isn't a noob. I would give it a shot.

Oh what I would give to be in your place. Even though I don't smoke weed or anything like that. But going on tour with a band would be sweet.
Gear Wish list:

Gibson Custom Les Paul Left handed

ISP Decimator

Maxon OD808

Peavey 6505 Halfstack

Gear Fund: 0/6000
I'd say at least give 'em a chance, play a gig or two. Then, make your decision from that.
Quote by Perfection 101
If we all had this guy's clarity of thought, world peace would ensue

Quote by Zugunruhe
incidentally, there are absolutely no results for "bizzare anal kazoo" on google.

i'd personally do it if i were you, but if you no longer want to thats your prerogative man. have fun doin whatever
music>then your shit friends and video games
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
Yeah I wouldn't wanna join them either.
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=45678895
Its better if you make a band with your friends, Im in a band with two of my friends and its been great.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Page 1 of 2