I play blues, rock, shred and metal. I was looking for a half stack for a while, but i dont have enough to buy me a good cab so a combo is what ill get. i was looking at marshalls but any of those in my price range are crap. my budget is about max 700 bucks? any help would be awesome
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe/Blues Junior. If you need heavy distortion, you can put pedal up front.
Quote by ElMaco
My last pay check was £0 working 0 hours. I can't believe how easy it was
After i saw this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCw55oNGEvc

and this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEhlKDOi0JY

and this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf24tL6y-zA

Look into a crate V33.

Edit:wait a minute what the hell am i saying.

your budget is 700 right.

Also if you can look for a Mesa F30 or 50 combo, it will gennerally cover alot of genres.

Try looking into something like a JCM900 if you want an amp that can handle both blues and metal.

If you can live without blues then look into a Peavey 5150 combo.

these two options are only of your willing to buy used.

also look into Mesa F-30 or F-50's used.
Last edited by THEKID546 at Nov 11, 2008,
thanks for the suggestion guys
i think minderbinder's suggestion was the best for me. i've seen a lot of people use em and honestly, i wanted one. i just didn't know it was that cheap!
Jackson DXMG -> Vai Morley Wah -> Korg Black Tuner -> (Need a delay) -> Maxon OD808 -> BBE Sonic Maximizer -> ISP Noisegate -> Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Cool if you do get that amp, dont cheap out on the DS pedal, and by cheap out i mean buying a 90$ Boss metal zone.

Alot of people think they need more distortion than they actually need so buy a OD pedal to go along with it.
well i wouldn't use the hotrod/blues junior for shred and metal, it's more for blues and rock, i've played it, it's an american clean voiced amp that has decent overdrive

i think a jcm 800/900 (more gain) would be a better choice, i've tried both amps and both are great for all the genre's you want (the jcm 900 is more modern metal voiced)

but try every suggestion before you buy

Edit: \/ completly forgot about that one, it's a great metal amp with room for hard rock
Quote by slayer_zero
i think minderbinder's suggestion was the best for me. i've seen a lot of people use em and honestly, i wanted one. i just didn't know it was that cheap!

I have the deville, while it's a great amp, it's simply not voiced for metal.

what about one of these? http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RG50TC-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481197
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
yea i plan on having a boost over it though
ill check out the rg50tc too.
the main reason i dont want an amp that's built for metal is cause i've had some bad experiences with over grainy-ness. but ill be sure to try em out before i buy
Quote by slayer_zero
yea i plan on having a boost over it though
ill check out the rg50tc too.
the main reason i dont want an amp that's built for metal is cause i've had some bad experiences with over grainy-ness. but ill be sure to try em out before i buy

It's still simply not voiced for it. It won't happen, you'll be dissatisfied.

Look at mesa, marshall and peavey.

Maybe a classic 50 would suit your needs, with an overdrive pedal. Used.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Classic-50212-Tube-Amp-Combo-?sku=481015
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
A Mesa F-30 would suit you pretty well, it can do all those tones. The f-30 does hard rock and metal tones best, and then after that classic rock. I could never seem to get a very good blues tone out of it. It has amazing cleans on top of it all.

Also, I agree with leperd, definitely steer clear of the BJr and the HRD, they aren't gonna do metal or shred ever, period.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
seriously look at a Traynor YCS50 before you decide. It's does the Fender/Marshall sounds very well and sounds great in a mix. Very versatile and well worth the money.
hmm. well im not exactly looking for a metal amp, but from what you guys are saying, it doesnt do high gain very well either so...ill look into the f-30 a little.
where can one buy a mesa f-30 anyways? also how much is it :P
Last edited by slayer_zero at Nov 12, 2008,
Quote by slayer_zero
hmm. well im not exactly looking for a metal amp, but from what you guys are saying, it doesnt do high gain very well either so...ill look into the f-30 a little.
where can one buy a mesa f-30 anyways? also how much is it :P

the YCS50? It does a good job. Has a built in adjustable boost that acts like a boost pedal. But if you're just looking for a metal amp then a Mesa would probably be the way to go.
i've never bought any kind of mesa, traynor, or any kind of specialty product so i have no idea where to get a reliable source to tell me how much and where i can buy it.
do any of you guys know?
Last edited by slayer_zero at Nov 12, 2008,
Check out the Crate V-series... Very, very nice blues amps...

Then perhaps invest (with the rest of the money) into some quality pedals to help your shred metal tone.

My rig is...

Crate V33 2x12
Boss PS-3 (delay and pitchshifter)
Boss DF-2 (Distortion and feedback)
Omnifex eq (I mainly use it for volume, or boost/OD)
Crybaby Wah

I've never been out of luck when it comes to "getting a tone"...

For most stuff, I play without using pedals... And when needed (like for shred stuff) I use the other stuff.
Quote by slayer_zero

I'm with the others in that they wont be ideal for metal but if it's the Fender sound you like but want some balls then imo Mesa would be the way to go.
Quote by slayer_zero
i've never bought any kind of mesa, traynor, or any kind of specialty product so i have no idea where to get a reliable source to tell me how much and where i can buy it.
do any of you guys know?

You're going to have to buy those used, so craigstlist will be the way to go

Quote by roshjosh
Check out the Crate V-series... Very, very nice blues amps...

Then perhaps invest (with the rest of the money) into some quality pedals to help your shred metal tone.

My rig is...

Crate V33 2x12
Boss PS-3 (delay and pitchshifter)
Boss DF-2 (Distortion and feedback)
Omnifex eq (I mainly use it for volume, or boost/OD)
Crybaby Wah

I've never been out of luck when it comes to "getting a tone"...

For most stuff, I play without using pedals... And when needed (like for shred stuff) I use the other stuff.

those v series are budget amps, he can get a waywayway better amp.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120