So i finally found a drummer to jam with. I'm going to get with him in less then a week. I haven't played with anyone in a long time so I was kind of excited. But heres the thing, this guy is a jazz junkie, and he dosent really do "rock". Now I'm kinda scared becasue I've never done jazz and i don't want to look incompetent. What the hell should I do when i show up and start playing? Somehow I don't think jazz is something you're gonna "get the hang of" in a few minutes. I'm screwed.
Jazz Bass in 3 steps.

1.Learn as many scales/chordal structures as possible.
2. Play them.
3. Jazz.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Just be aware that a Jazz drummer's sense of groove and pocket are way, way different than a rock players. Don't expect much of a consistant kick to lock in with, and don't depend on a consistant high-hat on the 8ths or what have you.

And be prepared to walk.

Playing 'catchy' stuff isn't terribly appropriate in Jazz, either.

Don't be afraid to extend your intervals - 7ths are popular. That has more to do with melodic instruments, but adding a 7th gives you more space to walk on.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Nov 11, 2008,
Quote by thefitz
Just be aware that a Jazz drummer's sense of groove and pocket are way, way different than a rock players. Don't expect much of a consistant kick to lock in with, and don't depend on a consistant high-hat on the 8ths or what have you.

And be prepared to walk.

This man speaks the truth. The drummer for my band is a jazz drummer by nature. He never does anything that is a standard "rock" drum procedure. Like even when we tell him to go with a standard backbeat he somehow makes it different. And I love it. This is also REALLY REALLY fun to jam with, because he plays off me better than I do off of him.

Oh, just because the guy plays jazz doesn't ALWAYS mean you have to play jazz. Take my drummer. Does this guy like listening to rock? Cause he may be up for some of that, with some jazz thrown in.
[ Does this guy like listening to rock? Cause he may be up for some of that, with some jazz thrown in.

He is pretty much in the Bruford, Palmer, Collins school of drumming. There is some vauge shades of rock in him but he's ultimately a jazz player. I'm not to keen on jazz myself but i am willing to work on it. I just need direction.
I play in a jazz group and playing jazz bass is not easy by any definition. Your sense of timing needs to be solidly within the pocket always. For the most part, the bass player is the timekeeper for the jazz combo and the drummer layers on top of that solid time. This is why the jazz drummer sounds much looser than a typical rock player, but still tied to the pulse. You are that pulse. I have seen jazz combos where the drummer does not have a bass drum because of this reason. There's no need--that's provided by the bass line.

ealtdharkon has hit on a great idea--blues. I would start there since its a good format for both of you to bridge your playing and start working together.
Fusion is also your friend, you could throw together some stuff Banyan style.

Try messing around a bunch of genres.. have some really chilled out slow-type music and try playing around on that would be more fun that just playing walking bass most of the time (though if you're playing it probably with all the chord changes, it's very fun)

Is anybody else jamming or just bass + drum?
rawr
Quote by I Am Jack!

I actually do both. I'm in a jazz group and I also jam with my drummer separately. Playing with a drummer by yourself will teach you over time how to lock with a drummer and the give and take that requires.

Yes you can play with a drum machine, but their as not as variable or fun. Nor do they take you out for beer after Monday night jam sessions.
Quote by I Am Jack!
Fusion is also your friend, you could throw together some stuff Banyan style.

Just bass + drums right now.
Quote by anarkee
Yes you can play with a drum machine, but their as not as variable or fun. Nor do they take you out for beer after Monday night jam sessions.

Precisely why I haven't a drum machine.

And I'm not thrilled with the lack of variability or fun, either.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Just jam with him.

Bill Ward was a heavily jazz influenced drummer, and Black Sabbath started a huge metal movement.

Just don't worry about it and boogie along.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
In most forms of jazz the emphasis is on 2 and 4 and the drummer will normally play the hi hat on the 2 and 4. If its swing you'll normally have them pushing the beat on the ride cymbal playing straight crotchets with the odd swung quavers. To make it really swing, the bass and ride have to be as if they're one instrument. When those two are locked together properly, that's when the magic starts.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by ZaccB
Just jam with him.

Bill Ward was a heavily jazz influenced drummer, and Black Sabbath started a huge metal movement.

Just don't worry about it and boogie along.

this. ever hear Cream? I love all the members, and the main reason jazz drummers rock is Ginger Baker. that man hits the traps like nobody else. he plays jazz. granted, Cream is blues rock, but their songs are a great place where the blues, jazz, rock, and probably a few carefully placed expletives collide.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
G
D
A --------2---4---5---4---2---4
E 0---4

G
D --------2---4---5---4---2---4
A 0---4
E

G --------2---4---5---4---2---4
D 0---4
A
E

There you go. He's a drummer, I'm sure he won't notice that you're playing the same riff over and over during the entire session...