standard blues / rock progression is: I - IV - V.
think, ramones.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------5--7---3--4---9---6--8--5---3----6--------13-----------------------------
------5--7---3--4---9---6--8--5---3----6--------13-----------------------------
------3--5---1--2---7---4--6--3---1----4--------11-----------------------------

this help?

Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
Well, aisde form what the ohters said, i would add this. Because power chords are actauilly intervals rhather than chords (power chords only have two notes) they are in fact niether major or minor chords. Therefore, by altering the progression you can suggest a minor or major tonality. Eg. in E if you go E G A then it;s sounds minor, cuase you are gogin the 1st, 3b and 4th of the sacle, whereas if you played E G#/Ab then A it would ahve a mhjor sound, cuase intstaed of a flattened third you ahve the major third. SDoes that make sense or help at all?
They're intervals, so you can just play power chords on a scale and it's sweet.
hahahaha look at all you people posting on this forum
A cool powerchord progression is the Andalusian cadence in a minor key. It goes i-VII-VI-V.
So you could use D5-C5-Bb5-A5
The A5 has a C# which gives a distinct harmonic minor sound.
Quote by Myung-trucci
The A5 has a C# which gives a distinct harmonic minor sound.

Problem.
There's no C# in an A5, only A E and an octave A.
12 fret fury
A powerchord progression on it's own, doesn't have a harmonic progression. Only a root and a 5th, which makes em neither minor,major,dominant,or diminished. They are used too beef up the harmony, and are more a "sound support". It depends on the bass movement, harmonic extension (major/minor etc. triads played on top of them) or melody line.

You probably can hear major or minor in it because of the relationship of the root notes of the different chords in the progression.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by tyler_coleman
Listen to AC/DC.

If you listen to or played acdc you would realize that they actually use more open chords and pieces of open chords mixed with power chords. Thats not a good example of pure powerchord music. Its a good example of mixing powerchords and real chords.

A power chord progrssion is vague and could mean so many things. But you could take the forumla for any progression and play it with powerchords. For example a 12 bar blues (I IV V) in E would be E7 A7 B7 and with power chords you could play the same exact thing but replace with E5 A5 B5.

If you dont understand the roman numerals and key signatures read some of the lessons on this site its very helpfull. www.musictheory.net. Then you would know what key your in and which intervals are what and you could take any song and convert it into a powerchord song if you wanted to.