Page 1 of 8
why are there so many genre's and why do so many end with "-core". What the hell is the difference between death metal and deathcore or metal and metalcore? It doesn't make sense to me because they all practically sound the same to me (IMO, the lack of originality in this day and age is mind boggling)

Can you guys explain why there are so many subgenres and why they all can't just be called "metal" (which is essentially what all those subgenres are)

Edit: I over generalized when I said all metal sounded the same I meant like death metal and black metal sound the same to me, but I can tell the difference between death and power or power and doom metal. Also I thought anything with "-core" in it was metal because so many UG members refer to it as so
Last edited by ironman1478 at Nov 11, 2008,
Some subgenres are needed, some are just plain annoying and only seem to be there for the closeminded metal elitists to ejaculate over while they flame people for not knowing what half-experimental-death-brutal-power-blackenedcore is right down to the last detail.
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
It's not just metal, I'm sure there's more sub genres of rock. And if you were trying to find a band that sounds like, say, Nile, if you you look for just metal, you can find Judas Priest, Slipknot, or any other metal that sounds nothing like Nile, but if you look for Death metal you will have a much easier time finding similar bands.
Quote by fob12
Him -"Hey, give me a high five!"
Her -"hahaha why? *high fives*"
Him - "Because I just dumped you for the lulz!"
Her -"... what?"
Him -"*runs away*"

Quote by Lefty7Stringer
killswitch engage has some dissonant riffs, they're kind grindcore tho

While some people say core has more hardcore influences, I really don't hear it. I just hear more breakdowns, and sometimes pig squeals, which I don't really hear in hardcore, or from what I've heard. Metalcore will typically have sung choruses.

It is all metal, but some people prefer black metal to death metal. It would be like saying why identify all the different kinds of apples. They're all apples, but they all have different tastes to them.
Quote by ironman1478
why are there so many genre's and why do so many end with "-core". What the hell is the difference between death metal and deathcore or metal and metalcore? It doesn't make sense to me because they all practically sound the same to me (IMO, the lack of originality in this day and age is mind boggling)

Can you guys explain why there are so many subgenres and why they all can't just be called "metal" (which is essentially what all those subgenres are)

You've never heard metal.

Because this is metal: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=ybetLiVcQTk

And so is this: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=bNcwrLVA4pY

But so is this: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=N06rmJnt9wo

Those are three WILDLY different songs, and, like the person before me said, if everything was just "metal," there would be about a thousand genres smashed up into one and nobody would ever find anything.
You're*
Last edited by Survivalism at Nov 11, 2008,
Quote by ironman1478

So sick of hearing that.

Because metal enthusiasts think it's nice to be able to differentiate Metallica from Suffocation.
it doesnt make much sense, ill agree. Maybe metalheads hear the difference, but even rock doesn't have that many subgenres. Stupid Elitists

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
METAL≠CORE

That being said, the genres are in place separate the distinct styles. Go listen to some power metal (like Blind Guardian or Iced Earth), then doom metal (like Candlemass), then death metal (like Death or Necrophagist) and come back and try to tell me they're all the same
Last edited by eddiethehead888 at Nov 11, 2008,
Well, -core is more a connection to hardcore punk than to metal, and x-core will sound similar to y-core because there's common ground between the two. And as for metal sounding the same, that's because you're likely not acquianted with it and just hear the common characteristics and go from there, like how one could say country/world/electronic music all sounds the same.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."

/Thread
I got 99 problems and they all bitches
Quote by ironman1478

1) There are so many subgenres because symphonic metal and brutal death metal don't even sound remotely the same.
2) -core means there's some hardcore punk elements in there.
3) You wanna know the difference between metal and metalcore? Put on Black Sabbath, now put on Lamb of God.
4) You obviously don't listen to enough metal if it all sounds the same to you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L02xP08UJdA sounds nothing like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6jOWlUmp-A
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
Quote by sargasm

I was waiting for it
You're just gonna get shit in here. If you want to be like the rest of The Pit, just say that all the ones ending with -core suck. Even though they probably know dick about hardcore.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Quote by eddiethehead888
METAL≠CORE

+1
Paul Gilbert

Quote by thegreensquall
ok so one time i was totally wanking and then my mom walked in and my cat was in my room... she knocked first so i grabbed my cat and put it on my lap and started petting it to cover up but then i jizzed on my cat

Could anyone post examples of these different genres? Or at least explain HOW they're different.

Just for the sake of conversation.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Quote by sargasm

I did not know that >.> <.< >.<
Quote by shut_up_n00b
You're just gonna get shit in here. If you want to be like the rest of The Pit, just say that all the ones ending with -core suck. Even though they probably know dick about hardcore.

We're not mad that he said core, we're mad that he said all metal's the same (go read my suggestions and listen to those bands TS)

Although it does get annoying after a while since Deathcore does not equal Death Metal
Heavy Metal is bands like Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc. where as Death Metal is bands like Opeth, Nile, Arsis, Insomnium, etc.

very big difference
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Quote by sargasm

This.

You need subgenres because there are very different types of metal. Darkthrone is very different from Rhapsody.
Quote by x_thurston_x
Could anyone post examples of these different genres? Or at least explain HOW they're different.

Read my post, and compare Blind Guardian (power metal) to Necrophagist (death metal)
Quote by shut_up_n00b

I wouldn't say that they all suck but they aren't metal.
Quote by chipmunksurfer
it doesnt make much sense, ill agree. Maybe metalheads hear the difference, but even rock doesn't have that many subgenres. Stupid Elitists

You're right. It has about twice as many.

Fail.
You're*
the whole -core thing is really stupid, especially considering that most metalcore bands sound a lot more like metal than they do hardcore, Thrash is more heavily influenced by Hardcore than most metalcore/deathcore that I've heard.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
one thing i dont understand is the difference in black and death metal. I mean granted i dont think ive ever listened to a whole song of either genre ( i just cant stand to listen to it personally) but i dont know the difference
To boost the ego of elitists because they have small penises, no girlfriends and because they think they're too br00talz and far superior to everything else including God.

No exceptions, whatsoever.
Professional Tracking, Mixing and Mastering available.
Available for live sound, consultation and rig/ system designing in and around the Montreal, CA area.
PM for details.

Past clients/ credits include: The Catalyst, Click! and Alain Caron.
Quote by x_thurston_x

Black Metal: Mayhem, Darkthrone, Burzum.
Death Metal: Deicide, Nile, Cannibal Corpse.
Symphonic Metal: Within Temptation, Symphony X.
"Traditional" Heavy Metal: Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden.
Doom Metal: The Sword, Candlemass, Gallhammer (blackened doom metal, but 'eh)

EDIT: For the person who asked about the difference between black and death metal...

Given that these are generalizations and in fact do not encompass all of black/death metal...

Black metal: Usually darker, more sinister sounding. High-pitched shrieks. Tremolo picked riffs. Very unconventional song structures.

Death metal: Usually faster, more "brutal" sounding. Deep growls. Fast tempo. Complex song structures with various tempo changes.

Like I said, this does not encompass/define all of black or death metal (I know some quite beautiful sounding black metal, depending on what your take on beautiful is.. and various black metal bands growl whilst various death metal bands shriek. Not all death metal has to be "teh br00talz" (see Voice of the Soul by Death) and not all black metal has to have string-raping tremolo picking). But it'll give you a general idea.
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
Last edited by MyNameIsLame at Nov 11, 2008,
Quote by miguelito2729
To boost the ego of elitists because they have small penises, no girlfriends and because they think they're too br00talz and far superior to everything else including God.

No exceptions, whatsoever.

Which, ironically, is not at all unlike posting things like this.

Quote by MyNameIsLame
Black Metal: Mayhem, Darkthrone, Burzum.
Death Metal: Deicide, Nile, Cannibal Corpse.
Symphonic Metal: Within Temptation, Symphony X.
"Traditional" Heavy Metal: Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden.
Doom Metal: The Sword, Candlemass, Gallhammer (blackened doom metal, but 'eh)

Even Nile is it's own subgenre. And I don't see how The Sword is any less traditional or more doom than Black Sabbath. If Black Sabbath came out today, they'd be classified as doom metal.

But, see, this entire thread is why I delete the genre tags on all my music.
You're*
Last edited by Survivalism at Nov 11, 2008,
Quote by dmiwshicldply
one thing i dont understand is the difference in black and death metal. I mean granted i dont think ive ever listened to a whole song of either genre ( i just cant stand to listen to it personally) but i dont know the difference

they sound vastly different.
Black Metal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VBdAY8eA9w
Death Metal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5Hv0tsvpyU

Quote by djurico666

damn....

we picked the same vid for death metal
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
hardcore tried to kill the metal... but it failed, as it was thrown down, to the ground.
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Quote by Survivalism
Which, ironically, is not at all unlike posting things like this.

Who says I don't have a small penis, no gf or think I'm far superior to anything ever created?

BTW cut down on the f*cking negations there, it's almost confusing.
Available for live sound, consultation and rig/ system designing in and around the Montreal, CA area.
PM for details.

Quote by Kid_Thorazine

we picked the same vid for death metal

I was going to pick the same black metal song as he did.
Quote by miguelito2729
Who says I don't have a small penis, no gf or think I'm far superior to anything ever created?

...you raise a fine point. But you're looking down on elitists, which is inherently elitist behavior.
You're*
Quote by Survivalism
...you raise a fine point. But you're looking down on elitists, which is inherently elitist behavior.

I know and I'm having a blast f*cking with you.
PM for details.

Quote by Survivalism
You're right. It has about twice as many.

Fail.

Yep.

Although, with metal it gets stupid when there's sub-sub-sub genres, but that's just being really specific. I think what a lot of people don't recognize is that genres are often combined, making crossovers like Speed/Thrash and Progressive/Death.

But when it really comes down to it. the shit just sounds different from the other shit.