Page 1 of 3
Hey!

I'm planning on buying a new guitar amplifier soon,

I play mostly metal death metal. metalcore metal hard core metal,

things like bullet for my valentine park way drive, all that remains killswitch enagage and a bit of metallica,

I need a amp,

i cant afford a tube amp, and i only have about 1000 new zealand dollars, which is about 500 USA dollars.

So i need a amp that can be over herad over the drums, good for death metal and reasonably loud, enough for a small gig!

thanks guys! all help will be a aprecciated!

Please tell me your ideas!
yea, used 5150 combo.
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
You can't tune a LP copies down. Some kind of lawsuit Gibson won. Sorry.
a randall of some sort i would think....

maybe a randall warhead? you can get one used, though it'll be easier if you could go up in the equivalent of $100 USD. i played one a couple weeks ago at the shop...my god this thing was ridiculous!! great for heavy tones, but i also pulled off convincing blues hard rock lol...but it really is great for heavy sounds. if not, a used randall RG50 might be in order, 50 watts tube. good for metal and hard rock. can get new quality tubes to improve stock sound, as well as an OD and EQ pedal and you're SET.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
"telecastermetal"

if that means what i think it means, i would prob go with a new guitar first..

look into 2nd hand marshalls/peaveys etc.

for a small gig, you need say, 50+w (non tube)

if its an underground music thing, chances are there would be amps there for you to use.

otherwise, keep saving, youl be better off being ampless for another few months then get something decent, then get a pile of crap now
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
a fender frontman 15 with a boss ds-1 pedal. seriously try it out.

/slaps
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by Hale_91
/slaps

slap? if you are too slow to pick up sarcasm you are too slow to dodge a fist to the windpipe from a drunk american counter attack.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
slap? if you are too slow to pick up sarcasm you are too slow to dodge a fist to the windpipe from a drunk american counter attack.

hahaha
Quote by MichaelOfCanton

ohh, wow, sheezz, thats a relief, i thought you were being serious, wow, haa, that could of been a serious problem *sigh of relief*

its hot today, im sorta slow.. yeah
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
a fender frontman 15 with a boss ds-1 pedal. seriously try it out.

you're one more irrelevant and stupid post away from being reported. he asked a serious question and wants serious suggestions. so let's be helpful, or at least put some kind of serious recommendation before joking around.

slash_edit: don't know how i didn't think of the 5150...wow how embarassing. still, the amps i suggested might be a nice alternative, as the 5150 is 120 watts if i'm correct. even at half power mode it's gonna be super loud.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
it would be hard to get decent stuff in NZ i recon (im in aus), there wouldnt be a HUGE market for stuff (2nd hand)

and buying stuff from America has sorta gone down the shit hole because of this financial crisis.

i would just wait it out a bit, see what appears in the paper, and keep saving
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by Hale_91
ohh, wow, sheezz, thats a relief, i thought you were being serious, wow, haa, that could of been a serious problem *sigh of relief*

its hot today, im sorta slow.. yeah

you sir are a boufoon. i fart in your general direction.
its like.. 37*C, i can barely move let alone think fast
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by slash_rocks2005
you're one more irrelevant and stupid post away from being reported. he asked a serious question and wants serious suggestions. so let's be helpful, or at least put some kind of serious recommendation before joking around.

slash_edit: don't know how i didn't think of the 5150...wow how embarassing. still, the amps i suggested might be a nice alternative, as the 5150 is 120 watts if i'm correct. even at half power mode it's gonna be super loud.

since this guys busting my balls ill make a legitimate suggestion of a randall rx120rh. it doesnt have to be expensive to sound nice and imediacy is better than intimacy in an amp for that genre IMO.
PS the guy i quoted is a douchebag
Quote by MicahelOfCanton
PS the guy i quoted is a douchebag

stop the press! news flash! I DON'T CARE what you call me or think of me. my warning was regarding your first post only. YOU might not think that blatant trolling or spamming is annoying and wasting time, but it most definitely is. especially to mods who have to come and warn people about it. and i've seen many users banned for doing just like you did. so don't blame me for trying to help the forums out and keep things going smoothly when i can. if you've been around UG a while, then you would know that deliberate spamming and trolling is a pet peeve of a lotta people, so why even try it?

of course, if your first post had actual useful suggestion in it, i wouldn't have said anything, everyone likes to joke around. but not everyone is gonna assume people are being sarcastic from what they see typed on their screen, especially 08ers who are new to the site.

if you don't like my logic, tough nuts. my fellow regulars on this site would probably wholeheartedly agree with me. i'll leave name calling for the childish.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
take it to PM's guys because, heres another news flash... NO ONE cares if you 2 have a grude against each other.

/finishedinthisthread
*Enter Sig Here*
i hope you're not mad b/c i directed attention away from your posts or something.

anyway, your early post regarding telecasters and pretty much saying they're not good for metal...? as long as the tele has a bridge bucker, it can do metal just fine. whether or not you can do metal has a TON more to do with the amp than the guitar.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Yeah, I hope you're getting a new guitar to go with that new amp. I love it, but I don't think that 50's Vibe of yours ain't gonna do much for metal no matter what amp you're playing it through.

And I don't think a lot of you actually read his post, I somehow doubt he'll be able to find a 5150 for $500, and also pay to ship it to New Zealand. Most of these folks are going to be to snobby to recommend a Line 6, but, for that kind of music, explore that route.

Also, are we talking heads or combos?
You're*
Hey thanks guys, and uh this might be a stupid question.. but uhm... what a 5150??

And in new zealand, and i've looked in shop theres no lack of stuff there's huge marshall, orange etc. . stacks and stuff like that.

i know nothing about amps!!

Thanks guys! and any links?
oh thanks and nah no stacks or heads, just a combo with everything in one!

and i've seen the letters 5150 written on a amp in big music shop in new zealand,
well big to me is probably small to all you guys out there but yeah,
TS, you'd be surprised what you can find for $1000 NZD in the amp market.

New admittedly your options are a bit limited, the best you can do is probably a Roland Cube unless you have a nearby MusicWorks which stocks Randall, where you can probably find an SS Randall amp which is perfect for death or high gain metal.

I had a look on Trade Me for ya though, and I found some beauties.

Peavey 5150 stack It's almost over, but if you can get your arse to there now and pay all $800 for it, because that thing is a steal and perfect for your style. It's tube, but for the price perfect.

If you miss that though, give these a look.

Ashdown Peacemaker I've got no experience with these, but in my experience a Metal Muff in front of a tube amp can do any kind of metal.

Marshall JCM800 combo I'm personally more of a JCM900 guy, but these are loved by almost all other UGers.

B-52 combo In my experience these are a bit unreliable, but they give a great tone and many other UGers say good stuff about them

If you can get any of these amps (esp. the 5150) you'll be a happy guy. I know you said that tubes were too expensive (and agreed, new they are) but used you can't go wrong with one of these.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Well, you said you don't want stacks but if I was into high gain metal nothing could keep me between that 5150 and bogan heaven.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666

New admittedly your options are a bit limited, the best you can do is probably a Roland Cube unless you have a nearby MusicWorks which stocks Randall, where you can probably find an SS Randall amp which is perfect for death or high gain metal.

Peavey 5150 stack It's almost over, but if you can get your arse to there now and pay all $800 for it, because that thing is a steal and perfect for your style. It's tube, but for the price perfect.

Ashdown Peacemaker I've got no experience with these, but in my experience a Metal Muff in front of a tube amp can do any kind of metal.

Marshall JCM800 combo I'm personally more of a JCM900 guy, but these are loved by almost all other UGers.

B-52 combo In my experience these are a bit unreliable, but they give a great tone and many other UGers say good stuff about them

If you can get any of these amps (esp. the 5150) you'll be a happy guy. I know you said that tubes were too expensive (and agreed, new they are) but used you can't go wrong with one of these.

the 5150 is just the cab.
He said for a grand he'd consider selling the whole set. TS says he has a grand. Even so, the JCM800 with a good OD would be good for his stuff...I think.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by shadow__666

wow man thanks!!

Aw i was just asking cause i'm going to have the money in about a month and a half!

Aw to bad i dont have it now!

i didn't know i could get a like a cab and a head for like 1000 dollars,

i dont know much about amps,

But yeah, i basically want something loud and good for metal styles.

you live in nz?

thanks =]
I'm gonna put something in my sig which refers to my expertise in the NZ market.

You don't have the money now? Damn...well when you get it it'll be around Christmas time, and Christmas is usually the best season for sh*t to pop up at crazy prices on Trademe. I got a Boss OS-2 last year for $10 there around that time.
Quote by Cathbard
Haha thanks :P

So like something like one of those amps? so i'll look on trade me etc?

Not brand new?

There is a rock shop, and a music works not far away from were i live?
Quote by shadow__666

whatever - just focus on this ^

i would take whatever good deal comes across. stacks are not always bad for switching things around or changing your mind. Focus your dollar on the tone you want most. You don't know what a 5150 is so maybe....

give us your top 5 bands you sound the closest to?
You can look in your rock shop or music works, but the stuff you get there won't be half as good as you can get used. Like I said, for $1000 the best you can get is probably a Peavey Valveking, and that on its own isn't enough for death metal. I say look on trade me.
Quote by Cathbard
oo thank you,

and the top 5 bands i WANT to sound like are

Parkway drive, bullet for my valentine, all that remains, kill switch engage,

bands like that, ok so they aren't really death metal but thats the kind of music i'm trying to sound like,

Screamo stuff,

yeah,

So thats the kind of sound i'm after if that helps anyone?

Thnaks guys!

keep the suggestions coming i can do with all the help i can get!

putting

"Parkway drive, bullet for my valentine, all that remains, kill switch engage,"

and screamo stuff in the same sentence does not really work :P

ATR use randall stuff i think, IMO, any amp can sound "heavy", and im not a fan of people that want to replicate others tones, but what people have been saying (marshall, peavey, randall etc.) are all a good place to start, as they are all generally made for the heavy player.

and the tele stuff, its the wood. its made out of a plank of chip board, rather than a log of mahogany, in general its tone will be brighter, thus, not great for metal

not to mention its greatest flaw, along with a strat, is its lack of a 22nd fret, let alone the much needed 24th.

thinking about it, if you get a great amp, your not going to sound like them if your using a tele, even with a great pup in it. so when you get ya amp and still arnt satisfied with ya sound, thats prob why.
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by Hale_91
putting

"Parkway drive, bullet for my valentine, all that remains, kill switch engage,"

and screamo stuff in the same sentence does not really work :P

ATR use randall stuff i think, IMO, any amp can sound "heavy", and im not a fan of people that want to replicate others tones, but what people have been saying (marshall, peavey, randall etc.) are all a good place to start, as they are all generally made for the heavy player.

and the tele stuff, its the wood. its made out of a plank of chip board, rather than a log of mahogany, in general its tone will be brighter, thus, not great for metal

not to mention its greatest flaw, along with a strat, is its lack of a 22nd fret, let alone the much needed 24th.

thinking about it, if you get a great amp, your not going to sound like them if your using a tele, even with a great pup in it. so when you get ya amp and still arnt satisfied with ya sound, thats prob why.

are u suggesting all teles are made out of chip board? because the fender ones and probably most of other brands ( unless its some cheap budget guitar) are made out of alder and other woods like ash.

i also checked the 5150 link thats above, and the cab is a 5150 cab and the head is a xxl head i think and the xxl is a hybrid amp.
Quote by slash_rocks2005

of course, if your first post had actual useful suggestion in it, i wouldn't have said anything, everyone likes to joke around. but not everyone is gonna assume people are being sarcastic from what they see typed on their screen, especially 08ers who are new to the site.

if you don't like my logic, tough nuts. my fellow regulars on this site would probably wholeheartedly agree with me. i'll leave name calling for the childish.

Yeah, I agree with slash_rocks2005. Well said .

I just got back from NZ a month ago, & it's sad how little good music gear I found there, & what was there was outrageously expensive. I saw one of the best cover bands I've ever seen at The Smash Palace in Gisbourne, & the guitar player was using a Marshall MG combo. Unbelieveable. The guy had skills like Steve Vai, & played through a toneless crap box, & actually made it sound acceptable. He said that's about the best he could do around there!
TS- If you can be patient, look for a used 5150 locally or ebay. They are out there, & if you're lucky & patient, you may be able to get one from Australia so the shipping isn't ridiculously expensive. Also, if you're patient now, you'll have more money saved when you DO find the right deal. Don't settle for some piece of crap. The 5150 will be something you'll be happy with for years.
Also, it'd probably be worth checking out the available JCM800 Marshalls w/ an OD pedal also, because you just may get close enough to what you're looking for.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by riffhog

I just got back from NZ a month ago, & it's sad how little good music gear I found there, & what was there was outrageously expensive. I saw one of the best cover bands I've ever seen at The Smash Palace in Gisbourne, & the guitar player was using a Marshall MG combo. Unbelieveable. The guy had skills like Steve Vai, & played through a toneless crap box, & actually made it sound acceptable. He said that's about the best he could do around there!
TS- If you can be patient, look for a used 5150 locally or ebay. They are out there, & if you're lucky & patient, you may be able to get one from Australia so the shipping isn't ridiculously expensive. Also, if you're patient now, you'll have more money saved when you DO find the right deal. Don't settle for some piece of crap. The 5150 will be something you'll be happy with for years.
Also, it'd probably be worth checking out the available JCM800 Marshalls w/ an OD pedal also, because you just may get close enough to what you're looking for.

^ All of this logic right here.
Quote by Demonikk
5150/6505

where the hell are you people getting your amps I couldn't find a 5150 0r a 6505 for only 500 shipped to the CA USA to save my life.

Dude a 5150 Halfstack is so loud it shacks the walls on my house I dare not turn the volume knob on my guitar to full or set the gain to high might knock my house over hahaha
Last edited by Darkice at Nov 12, 2008,
Quote by Linkin p4rk
are u suggesting all teles are made out of chip board? because the fender ones and probably most of other brands ( unless its some cheap budget guitar) are made out of alder and other woods like ash.

i also checked the 5150 link thats above, and the cab is a 5150 cab and the head is a xxl head i think and the xxl is a hybrid amp.

na, i was exaggerating, ie. a small alder body with a single coil aint gonna sound anything like a large mahogany with a humbucker
*Enter Sig Here*
thanks riffhog. you're one of the handful that i consider a regular as you prolly know haha.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by riffhog

Having been through the torturous process of amp-hunting in NZ, I know what you mean. The cheapest tube combo new anywhere is a Blues Junior for $300. $1000 can get you a Valveking, a Crate V18 or a small tube Fender.
Quote by Cathbard
Page 1 of 3