I have about 450-550 (no more than 550) to spend for a new amp after selling my ad30vt. I ended up upgrading my guitar from beat-up strat to a jackson soloist couple months ago and I've been saving up ever since for a new amp. I would like an amp that can sound fairly decent at bedroom level as well as small/medium gigs. I play mostly classic/hard rock, 80s/progressive metal, instrumental, and some modern rock. (eric clapton/cream, eagles, judas priest, guns n' roses, van halen, dream theater, radiohead, metallica, vai, etc) As you can tell, I need a fairly versatile amp . I'll probably end up buying a used amp off craigslist or ebay.

So far, I've looked at at

Laney VC30 (heard clips on youtube. i can't really try one though because none of the stores around me carry one )

Bugera 333xl or the 666 (heard bad things about reliability though)

Marshall dsl401

Line 6 Flextone III

Peavey 5105

Randall RG50TC

oops! I forgot about Traynor YCV40/50 :P

I'll take any other recommendations. Oh and I would prefer combos! Thanks.
Last edited by shiva0508 at Nov 12, 2008,
def not the 5150 for classic rock and modern rock.. i wouldnt think atleast... sorry i couldnt be much other help tho
look at the blackheart handsome devil, peavey classic 30 and maybe even a Sovtek Mig.

all are british voiced and will give GREAT 80s rock/metal especially w/ an OD pedal.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by PixieDust13
def not the 5150 for classic rock and modern rock.. i wouldnt think atleast... sorry i couldnt be much other help tho

the 5150 can do modern rock very well as well as metal tones with ease. i have the 5150 II and it can do those styles well. i play in a touring punk band and this amp is the shit. i also have 2 older 1990's Mesa Boogie dual rectifiers( the old 2 channel versions..one is a blackface) and the Bugera 6262-212. but the 5150 II or the bugera 6260/6262 are great amps man.

the 333 or the 333XL Bugera amps might be better for the tone you are looking for. but the 5150s would do fine
'92 Mesa Dual Rectifier Blackface
Peavey 5150 II half stack
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Member of the Bugera Users Militia
If you're looking for versatile, I suggest you buy the Flextone. But then again, I'm biased...
"Don’t be a guitarist. Be a musician."

Steve Howe
I picked up a traynor ycv40 today.. it's not stock (upgraded speaker and new tubes) and got it for 299$ (bought it and a new guitar so they dropped 100$ off what they were asking)... I haven't heard a stock one before but the one I have will bend you over and make it hurt! in a good way.. lol.. I would say definately give them a look if you haven't already.. they are definately going to be a brand i look at in the future if / when i upgrade to something bigger..
I went to a local guitar shop yesterday and tried the peavey classic, flextone, and bugera 333xl. I was impressed with the bugera but I think it might be too loud for my uses . I had some mixed opinions on flextone. It sounded okay but the tone seem to be missing something. I was also turned away by classic 30. It sounded very hissy/noisy when I turned up the gain. It had good cleans though.

I would love to try the traynor or even laney, but I can't seem to find any locally. (craigslist/shops)

Mmm...I'm thinking about just relying on the clips off youtube and ordering the traynor or laney from ebay.