Has anybody had any experience with this recorder?

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tascam-DP02CF-Digital-Portastudio?sku=241796

I play guitar, bass, keyboard, and drums and am looking to make my own music and get it recorded. I've heard this is a good piece of equipment but i was wondering if you guys have any feedback on it/examples of music recorded with it?
I've not used it personally however I know you will have a very hard time recording drums with it. You are limited to memory size, tracks, and amount of inputs...

More info about MTRs in UG Video 3
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=751253

Have you looked into audio interfaces and a sequencer?

Interfaces:
PreSonus Inspire 1394
Mackie Onyx Satellite
EMU 0202 or 0404 USB 2.0

Sequencers:
Cakewalk Sonar
Cubase
Reaper
Quote by moody07747
I've not used it personally however I know you will have a very hard time recording drums with it. You are limited to memory size, tracks, and amount of inputs...

More info about MTRs in UG Video 3
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=751253

Have you looked into audio interfaces and a sequencer?

Interfaces:
PreSonus Inspire 1394
Mackie Onyx Satellite
EMU 0202 or 0404 USB 2.0

Sequencers:
Cakewalk Sonar
Cubase
Reaper

Thank you very much for your help

and no, i have not yet. How much do they usually cost?

Also, would this processor be a better choice than the one in my first post?
That would be just about the same as your MTR you were looking into.

Most USB mixers mix down the audio into a single stereo track before sending it out to the computer. This is what you are trying to avoid when recording. Once parts are mixed you can hardly work with each section making mixing and mastering very challenging.

The PreSonus Inspire goes for around $200, as does the even better Mackie Onyx Satellite. Both have a good amount of inputs and are great to start on. The are also cheaper than your MTR unit and the only thing you need to start recording is a mic or instrument and a computer.

With these firewire interfaces you are able to plug two mics or whatever into them and they will record to seperate tracks in the computer. All data is sent at a high speed down a single firewire cable.
Last edited by moody07747 at Nov 14, 2008,
Moody, wouldn't it be better to recommend Firewire interfaces that can take 8 or more inputs like Presonus's FP10/Firestudio Project or Focusrite's Saffire if he's recording drums (unless they're electric)?
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Yea he is looking to track drums (still not sure if they are A or E) so the FP10 would be ideal but I was keeping budget in mind as he was looking at something around $300.

He could probably find a used FP10 for that price but then you have to think about prices for cables and mics for all the drums.

TS, what is your setup with drums, are they acoustic or electric/software?
Last edited by moody07747 at Nov 14, 2008,
Quote by moody07747
Yea he is looking to track drums (still not sure if they are A or E) so the FP10 would be ideal but I was keeping budget in mind as he was looking at something around $300.

He could probably find a used FP10 for that price but then you have to think about prices for cables and mics for all the drums.

TS, what is your setup with drums, are they acoustic or electric/software?

Thank you for all the help so far everyone, it is much appreciated

and they are acoustic drums if that helps at all
Well, for acoustic drums, you would be better off with an interface such as the Presonus FP10 or Firestudio, but that runs above (or at the very edge) of your budget. Then there's the mic costs, which can run very high for a set of drum mics.
There is poetry in despair.