The past couple months Ive been watching nothing but instructional videos on dvd and the internet and I'm really starting to get put out LOL. Some of the videos help and give good ideas, but how many of you people who have been playing for 4 - 6 years get aggervated when your watching and they tell you well this group of notes here is called F# or this is a Gmaj7 and they start to show you how to play it with no explanation why the notes that are chosen makes it that progression or whatever. I think I would be a master of theory if these videos had explained why what they are playing is this or that instead of telling this is in E phrygian put this finger here this finger there this one here and so on. Then after they show it all slow they do it as fast as possible and your like hold on am I going to sit here and learn something that you made up and can play it godly fast or should I make something horrible up and practice it over and over till it sounds that good. I mean it would take me like 3 years to play one of the licks or riffs that the videos show me. It gets frustrating going over all the notes and then applying your theory trying to grasp an understanding and most of the time not knowing whether your on the right track or not. Then when I go to make something up ill get this one little part that sounds cool and then ill go to add the next thing and it sounds like crap compared to what I just saw on these particular videos. So I get put out and go back to learning someone elses music hoping to get better at playing as a whole but I dont know if thats the case.
Last edited by rebel624 at Nov 12, 2008,
Playing speed only comes with time and practice. Don't expect to sit and practice one pattern in a video and become ungodly fast at it. I would suggest learning the patterns in the videos, and play them as fast as you can accurately. As your overall speed increases you will notice that those ridiculously fast licks aren't as ridiculous anymore. And a lot of those patterns will be good practice for speed.
I am a Rocker; I Rock out!
(Semicolons ftw)
The only one I really took a lot of time practicing was a website where a guy shows all the modes in the major scale of G and he practiced with a metronome but I cant remember it. Other that that I always search youtube and I get all these little tips but thats it never a great gain in knowledge I guess Ill have to really start to study some written information to gain any theory because I can't find any on video. That one site was posted here on these forums though.
lol look at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efq_lPN2TZE and tell me it aint fast it considering I can feel the lack of cordination in down picking the low E and then starting a up pick on the a string. I figured I could learn to play the beginning of she wolf starting with an up pick to get that gallop feel. I can do it comfortably starting down but not up. I am looking forward to getting good at it though.
I Prefer having a Private Tutor or just a guy who knows how to play well and teaches you face to face cause then you'll know why your doing this and what your doing wrong and all... but anyways try www.justinguitar.com It helped me alot !
Gear :
Schecter Damien V-FR
Ibanez V70
Line 6 Spider III 15
Quote by Hanato
New BC Rich Guitar ?!
Why would you want a guitar that similtanously scratchs your arse, picks your nose and kills the guy next to you

Child Molester

|

|

|

|

V
Do you realize that almost every video i watch the people say something wrong and dont realize and the dont correct themselves leaving me to find the error thinking i had something misunderstood when the video was wrong! Its always some little thing that makes you go back like 3 times. Does this seem to happen to any of you?
Good I was beginning to think I had misunderstood every bit of theory I had learned haha.
If they would explain the theory on every note, that would take an extra 3 minute per lick. If u have 50 licks, that would be an extra 150 minutes, and noone wants to watch through it that long unless ur hardcore lol.

To explain all the nuances and little style thingies which developed over 10+ years of playing, can simply not be explained in 2 hours. The video's are more for the technical side and to open up ur view on things.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??