I normally wouldn't post a thread about such a mundane topic, but I just can't stop talking and/or thinking about this one show.

It was my second time seeing Nine Inch Nails (the first being June 23, 2006 at the Tweeter Center in Mansfield, MA), and was originally scheduled for August 8th. I'd had the tickets since April or May, and the original wait was almost unbearable. Come the day of the show, I discovered it had been postponed due to strained vocal chords on Trent Reznor's part, and the new date was November 9th. But, I'll skip over the tiny stuff that happened in that 3-month's time.

There truly is no word in any human language to possibly describe this show. It was beyond breathtaking. Hell, I've never gotten teary-eyed at a concert before, but this totally blew me out of the water. Trent Reznor has to be one of the only people who can totally one-up himself with each and every new tour, both in a musical and visual sense. The band touched base with every era, from "Pretty Hate Machine" the "The Slip", playing at least 2 songs from each album. The performances of the multiple "Ghosts" songs were beyond incredible, and the lighting effects during "The Great Destroyer" were amazing.

When the show was originally postponed, Trent said that he'd make it up the Worcester crowd, and he definitely did. After the encore began, right after they performed "Echoplex", a few white lights shone on the stage, and Trent started introducing the band. He then began - "I now introduce a special guest. A good friend, and big influence, Mr Peter Murphy!". The crowd went absolutely apesh*t, and out walked one of the largest Gods of the 80s Goth-Rock scene. After he gave a small, touching speech, the entire group went on to perform a fantastic version of "Reptile", which pretty much gave everyone in the crowd the chills. In my opinion, however, this wasn't the best part of the show.

"Hurt." Everyone who's ever listened to Nine Inch Nails knows this song. Anyone who's ever seen Nine Inch Nails live knows that this song is a staple to their live performance. Never, in my life, have I been so proud to be a smoker, until this day. The music began, and out came my lighter. I was with a girl who, to be perfectly honest, I have very strong feelings for. I handed the lighter to her, and she was enjoying her participation for a good half of the song, up until the lighter started burning her fingers. She handed it back to me, I wrapped it in my shirt, cooled it down, and flicked it, igniting it, and just as the second chorus kicked in, I held the girl by the waist, and she returned the gesture, and we simply held each other, arm-in-arm, swaying back and forth, until the end of the song. To me, this made the night. It was one of those, "If I were to be killed tonight, I would die happy" kind of moments. It was such an incredible feeling.

Then, the end - the final song is "In This Twilight," with a beautifully disturbing picture in the background. The performance was incredible, and the emotion which could be felt flowing through the arena was almost too much to bear. To be honest, my eyes welled with tears, and it was the perfect end to the show. One by one, beginning with guitarist Robin Finck, each band member was highlighted by a single white light, they would then gently place their instrument, bow to the crowd, wave goodbye, and walk off the stage. It was simply awesome.

Anyways, I don't know the point of this post. I guess I just wanted to tell this story. Most people won't find it all that incredible, but just so I can get some discussion going, it's your turn - post some of your favorite concert moments. Post some of the most touching concert moments you've ever experienced, whether they're musical or romantic, emotional or physical. I want to hear it.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
They weren't homeless they were just Grunge.
I've yet to see such an amazing show.
But my repertoire of big bands is slim. I've only seen Sonic Youth, Depeche Mode, Billy Corgan, and Tool live. Tons of local bands. But nothing has been as great as that honestly.

Congratulations on your lovely experience.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
it seems like whatever gig i go to,,, i get hit in the face whilst moshin', or i punch the lead vocalist of the band for being in the crowd.

The best Moment was probably when i fell on oli sykes... 'twas funny.
Goddamn it's so hard to get good seats, I went in Toronto in August and we were off to stage right but pretty close. I'm going to see them again in December, but we'll be all the way at the back of the arena, it's probably gonna suck pretty hardcore, although it's way better than not going I concede.
Sounds great!
Im seeing them in Feb now I can't wait.

Believe me when I say, the wait is well worth it. It will blow you away.

Cool. Did you get to touch Trent's penis?

I wish. I'm not gonna lie, I'm a totally straight man who would tap the hell out of Trent Reznor.

I've yet to see such an amazing show.
But my repertoire of big bands is slim. I've only seen Sonic Youth, Depeche Mode, Billy Corgan, and Tool live. Tons of local bands. But nothing has been as great as that honestly.

Congratulations on your lovely experience.

Depeche Mode and Tool? I bet they both put on a Hell of a show. I call you a lucky bastard, simply because of those two.

I wanna see these guys

Do it. The next time they tour, and there's a date anywhere near you, jump at the opportunity. I'm telling you right now, you'll have the time of your life. And, in addition to hearing some kickass music and feeling some brain-mashing energy, you'll meet some of the most intellectually stimulating people ever (if you enjoy meeting new people, that is). I mean, my group and I ate dinner at Uno's right before the show, and we met tons of people who were on their way to the same show. They were smart, funny, wise, and just all around good people. There was also some dicks, and some annoying scalpers, but those kinds of people come with any concert.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
Double post, I know, but...

Quote by st.stephen
Goddamn it's so hard to get good seats, I went in Toronto in August and we were off to stage right but pretty close. I'm going to see them again in December, but we'll be all the way at the back of the arena, it's probably gonna suck pretty hardcore, although it's way better than not going I concede.

Well, it all depends on the size of the arena. I mean, our seats were all the way in the back of the seating area, and we still had this incredible view of the stage...

That was taken from my seat with my phone. Each little dot in the bottom half of the picture is a person on the floor, getting the same idea as me. The camera WAS zoomed in, but not much. We weren't close enough to make out each little wrinkled on each member's face, but we weren't so far away that we couldn't tell who was who. I mean, even from our seats, it was quite easy to see when Peter Murphy happily groped Trent during "Reptile."
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
yup I saw them at pemberton festival and they blew my mind.

The best feeling ive ever got from a live show though even though im not a HUGE fan of the band was the foo fighters

Just when the build up to the chorus came to "there goes my hero" the lights were shining around the arena and it seemed like every single person was waving their fists above their heads in unison screaming at the top of their lungs. It was just some sort of weird moment that everyone got caught up in and it was just ****en amazing.
And before he died, Taran-Ish had scrawled upon the altar of chrysolite with coarse shaky strokes the sign of DOOM.
Last edited by deadmansdiary at Nov 12, 2008,
Quote by Darkkon
it seems like whatever gig i go to,,, i get hit in the face whilst moshin', or i punch the lead vocalist of the band for being in the crowd.

The best Moment was probably when i fell on oli sykes... 'twas funny.

You jerk, why'd you fall on me
My best gig experience was when Never See Tomorrow were swearing at us and telling us we were the ****tiest crowd in NSW. Oh god i loled.