Ironically, while I believe I know enough of amps, I know so little on pick up. Thus:
a) In terms of tone, how are they different?
b) Can I use active pickup for "old stuff"? (eg classical, Jazz, and blues)
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
i agree.... actives are for more high gain styles...metal hard rock....

though I never have a problem with the cleans.... they just arent very bright sounding
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
Really interested in knowing how it will change my tone if I take my EMG's out and put passive pickups in my guitars.

Has anyone tried passives in an LTD EC1000? if so what were they?

Was thinking of trying the JB/Jazz combo.
Quote by darkstar2466

You are an idiot. Idiots get punished. You will be punished.
actives overdrive an amp more because they are louder. they sound more muddy and compressed than a passive pickup.

i also have a question. why do metal players need uber high output pickups when they can just turn up the gain on their amp? maybe its just personal preference but ive found that medium/high output pickups can work just as well for metal.
Quote by Perturabo
Really interested in knowing how it will change my tone if I take my EMG's out and put passive pickups in my guitars.

Has anyone tried passives in an LTD EC1000? if so what were they?

Was thinking of trying the JB/Jazz combo.

i think there is already a ltd ec-1000 that comes with seymour duncan 59's, and jb stocked
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
Damn. And I thought 8-string could be versatile. Oh well, that means I can have lower budget.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
I like active pickups better. Especially for shred music. But I would get the JB pickups too, those are good passive ones.
Quote by Ignite

Once I got out of a pool and it was like 1cm.

Quote by Meths
I think there are few people with a less important opinion on women than you.