I found a Boss DS-2 for about 30$ on eBay, right now I'm without a distortion pedal. I'm looking for a older hard rock/metal tone, like the early Sabbath songs or early Rush. And maybe some grungey tones. Would this pedal work out okay for that?
I dont like em, but you can get them modified , and I heard they sound really good after that
yah know... I'm not a big fan of the stock DS-1 sound anymore, the DS-2 (to my understanding) is the same as the DS-1, just with a little thicker low end and hasrher clipping. Don't quote me on that, I just know when I played through one, it didn't sound much better than my DS-1 did. I'd personally suggest getting a second hand DS-1 for dirt cheap and then modding the hell out of it until you find just want you want out of a cheap distortion.

what kind of amp you pushin?
yeah, I used to run through bass amps, I'd probably suggest just using the DS-1 for now, if you can nail that DS-2 for $30, I'd say go for it. But, there's no mods for the DS-2 if you decide to do that down the road.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
as a boost with an overdriven tube amp, the DS-2 can be absolutely brilliant.

however if you want a standalone distortion to run into the clean channel stay away from them, on cleans they sound sterile, harsh, buzzy and generally crap.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
they sound sterile, harsh, buzzy and generally crap.

That about sums it up.
Quote by Guitarmiester
That about sums it up.

only into a clean sounding amp. you have to rely on the rest of your gear to be covering up the sterile-ness because they are very transparent colourless pedals that simply clip the dry signal and shape the EQ slightly. i use mine to simply add a hard edge to an overdriven tube amp's smooth tone, and it works wonders for that.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Nov 12, 2008,
Every pedal is good if you know how to use it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by Blompcube
only into a clean sounding amp. you have to rely on the rest of your gear to be covering up the sterile-ness because they are very transparent colourless pedals that simply clip the dry signal and shape the EQ slightly. i use mine to simply add a hard edge to an overdriven tube amp's smooth tone, and it works wonders for that.

The TS is looking to use it as his source of distortion, not a boost. I had a DS-2 years ago, was never a big fan of it in any application.
Quote by Guitarmiester
The TS is looking to use it as his source of distortion, not a boost. I had a DS-2 years ago, was never a big fan of it in any application.

Kurt Cobain was, though... and we all know where he ended: dead above his garage... no, I'm kidding. Well, not about him being dead... but... yeah, tasteless joke.

Actually, I had pretty good sound out of the DS-1 back in the day (I think I was like... 16 last time I used my DS-1 unmodded). Used to run it into a Kustom III bass amp and if I dialed EVERYTHING in just right I'd get a really decent distortion, nothing great, but it did it's job and served its purpose. It just depends on exactly how fussy you are and how much you want to spend. Don't expect marshall tones out of it.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
I was outbid on that thing anyways, though I found a Boss OS-2 for 30$, thats I'm trying to win right now, I looked around for samples of it, and I liked the OS-2's sound alot more then the DS-2.
^ Just saw your thread on it, do NOT buy the OS-2.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Whats so bad about it? Is it really that bad, I mean, just because a pedal isn't super good doesn't mean its bad, a used OS-2 is the only mid-tier distortion pedal I can find right now in my price range, for 30$ would you really say an OS-2 is worthless?
I use it with a fender all tube half stack and i can get sweet OD to Crushing Dist. . .