Hi guys, I'm doing a little pre-purchase research to prepare myself for the big moment, and I'd appreciate it if you guys could help me out.

I've been playing acoustic for quite some time now, and I have always been interested and wanting to venture into e-guitars. I'm saving up now, hoping that I would be able to buy one by next year's end. I'm currently reading up a lot on UG, Wikipedia, and as well as random Google'ing, though there are some stuff that I still don't really get. Also, sometimes it's better to get opinions than getting the information from articles.

This is my situation, I'm planning to allocate around ~550 USD to start off, if there's a need for a little push over budget in order to get a better 'price for performance' gear, I think I'll for sure give it a thinker.

Budget: ~550 USD / ~440 EUROS / ~360 POUNDS (Guitar + amp.)
Look preference: I kinda dig the looks of Fenders and Ibanezs, not so much on Les Pauls.
Ibanez: PICTURE - I like the overall shape, and the flat surface of the body, as opposed to some other which have a bulked surface.
Fender: PICTURE - Love the overall shape as well, which looks like the Ibanez.
Music genre: Mostly rock-ish, I listen to stuffs like, Paramore, Linkin Park, Foo Fighters, Green Day, Sugarcult, and acts like such.

Hope you guys could give some suggestions.

And also. I'm still kinda lost on these few matters even after reading quite a few articles on them;
1. Does the amount of stock pick-up on an e-guitar matters? Should I be look for 1/2/3?
2. Is a tremolo bar important to have if most of the stuffs I'll be playing is within the rock genre?

EDIT: Added multiple currencies.

Thank you in advance for any feedbacks.
Last edited by reapershd at Nov 12, 2008,
First, stop saying e-guitars.
Second, the number of pickups is somewhat important. You definitely want 2, but 3 is fine too.
Third, the tremolo bar isn't a necessity, but if you want one, go for it.

Now, this is the important part.

DO NOT buy a guitar without having played it. DO NOT buy a guitar based on looks alone. DO NOT buy a guitar based on what others say. You need to see for yourself how much you like it. If you order some random guitar off of the internet, there's a good chance you'll be unhappy with your purchase. Go down to guitar center sometime and just play around, see what you like.
Quote by SlashYourFug

DO NOT buy a guitar without having played it. DO NOT buy a guitar based on looks alone. DO NOT buy a guitar based on what others say. You need to see for yourself how much you like it. If you order some random guitar off of the internet, there's a good chance you'll be unhappy with your purchase. Go down to guitar center sometime and just play around, see what you like.

listen to this man
Originally Posted by CaptainJack666
i can see why he likes elevators, theyre a truly uplifting experience

Join The NSW FTW Group
PM Lrn2shrd69, Greekmagician or dougie_mate to join.
ok
1. good luck getting a guitar close to those in the pic. But you may get lucky.
2. check out esp's as well. I must say that I love my ltd. You'd probably like the m series. http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_m2.html , http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_m.html or the vintage series http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_vintage.html ... mind you I haven't played the vintage.
ah, and from what music you've said your interested in, a bridge pickup is less... manditory.
I've heard good things about this guitar http://www.activemusician.com/item--EM.030-1000-506?ref=fg&ovchn=SCU&ovtac=CMP&ovcpn=&ovcrn=Squier+Deryck+Whibley+SUM+41+Telecaster+Electric+Guitar+-+Black but don't hold me to that.
3. for amps, go for something such as... http://www.voxamps.com/us/da-series/ this would probably work for you untill you NEED to be louder.

Edit; I can vouche for the DA 5watt being more than loud enough for a bedroom amp.
... wrote
the funny thing about those ads is, if i could steal a car at the comfort of my own computer in my own house, i would.

Quote by MyDesertRose
Ahahaha TS just got gobsmacked.
Well played Wicked Rose
I would look into the various types of wood and the tone they produce.

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/options/options_bodywoods.cfm

Once you determine what wood you like, pick out a few different models that appeal to you and then find them and play them. Then pick out the one that sounds/feels the best.

If you have a good guitar store near you, chances are you will be able to find a guitar and amp you will like and can play both of them and know exactly what you will be bringing home.
TS - you're in Germany aren't you? Or somewhere close?

Either way please post your budget in Euros, there's no point giving a budget in USD because none of the prices translate.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Thank you guys for your feedbacks.

@SlashYourFug,
Thank you! But why not 'e-guitars'? Yeah, I've read those warnings from one of the UG's article for amatuers. But still, I think by getting a few recommendations and reading reviews from experienced players is a starting point, as I seriously don't know what sounds 'good' and what is not.

@Wicked Rose,
Thanks! Yeah, I've been looking into ESP, they have quite a few budget guitars for starters. I'll definitely look further into those guitar in the first 2 links. Thanks again mate!

@Grawgos,
Thanks! Yeah, I've read on somewhere saying that it is be best to avoid Agathis and Plywood, is that true? To my luck, there's quite a few music stores around, but most of them don't really give good services, they're just pushing hard to sell.

@Steven Seagull,
Nah, I'm actually from Malaysia. I've added a few exchange of currencies.

Also, I have heard that if I'm buying a budget guitar, I should avoid tremolo bars? As cheap bars tend to go out of tune very often?

Thank you again for helping!
Well if your in Malaysia state your budget in the local currency and maybe give us an idea of what's available to you - guitar prices are never a direct conversion from country to country.

I thought you might be in Germany because they tend to use the term "e-guitar"
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by reapershd

Also, I have heard that if I'm buying a budget guitar, I should avoid tremolo bars? As cheap bars tend to go out of tune very often?

Yes, this can be true. read the FAQ and it should tell you what types of tremolos are good and what are not. Im not an expert in the field of tremolos though.
I would say that for your style of music, a tremolo is not a neccessity anyway.

The Bands you listed are easy to get sound wise with a guitar-i reccomend looking at an Epiphone les Paul- but really the amp is important.
You could get the same sound with 3 different guitars, but if you have different amps, the sound would definately change.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute
SX stratocaster
MIA Fender Stratocaster
Vox AD50 Vox AC15C1 Vox AC30CC2X Laney LH50r
Guitar>Joe Bonamossa Crybaby > AquaPuss> Sparkle Drive> Green Rhino> DejaVibe> Amplifier
CROWN VIC
Quote by reapershd

@Wicked Rose,
Thanks! Yeah, I've been looking into ESP, they have quite a few budget guitars for starters. I'll definitely look further into those guitar in the first 2 links. Thanks again mate!

not a problem, if you want any specifics on the m series, just send me a p.m. I'd gone through most of them trying to figure which one I should buy.
... wrote
the funny thing about those ads is, if i could steal a car at the comfort of my own computer in my own house, i would.

Quote by MyDesertRose
Ahahaha TS just got gobsmacked.
Well played Wicked Rose
Quote by reapershd

@SlashYourFug,
Thank you! But why not 'e-guitars'? Yeah, I've read those warnings from one of the UG's article for amatuers. But still, I think by getting a few recommendations and reading reviews from experienced players is a starting point, as I seriously don't know what sounds 'good' and what is not.

@Wicked Rose,

@Grawgos,
Thanks! Yeah, I've read on somewhere saying that it is be best to avoid Agathis and Plywood, is that true? To my luck, there's quite a few music stores around, but most of them don't really give good services, they're just pushing hard to sell.

@Steven Seagull,
Nah, I'm actually from Malaysia. I've added a few exchange of currencies.

Exactly where in Malaysia are you? Johor? Malacca? KL / Selangor? Penang?

If I read your descriptions of the shops correctly, you should either be in JB or KL - Selangor right?

Based on your budget and if it is possible I suggest you buy from Singapore instead, the guitars are cheaper in Singapore. There seems to be a price disalignment. A guitar costing S$500 (RM1190) can cost RM1400 for some weird reason.

Based on what see, you're willing to burn RM1985 (based on today's exchange rate). I'd recommend a LTD or an Edwards, especially a little more so since you might want to consider a tremolo. You could consider an Ibanez, but at that price, it won't take you far.

Yeah, if you've not guessed it by now, I'm Malaysian too.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.