When you guys play, how do you know if you're audible by the audience, without relying on the mixer people? Most people nowadays just max the vocals and all.

how do you know if your guitar's heard? lead? or if your bass is too loud? do you have guidelines?

thats the only problem my band has right now. thanks
Usually we have someone, usually roadie or friend whatever just go sit in the audience while we jam a practice song just to tell us what needs raised etc. Most venues have someone who does the levels for you through their P.A and it usually turns out good enough.

myspace.com/weasheroesband
yeah, get someone to stand about midway through the auditorium in the centre to listen for levels.

it's really hard to do it yourself, as any place on stage is going to be imbalanced, with the nearest sound sources being way louder than others.

also, when soundchecking, do it in order.

i.e. check drums, then bass, then guitars, then keys (if needed) then vocals.

pretty much if the non-vocal instruments are all equally balanced, then vocals are no problem, as you can just max out above the instruments.
Quote by T.S.R.
what?
if i were a midget...id go masturbate in public because...hey, im a midget and i can get away with anything

Quote by yawn
I heard Hitler was a pretty good guitarist back in his day...

Quote by guitar?
You're a towel.
Well if your playing at a venue they always have sound people to P.A you and get your levels. Just rely on them.
Eventually you will get used to it. As a pub band we don't do sound checks its plug and play kinda thing. However any original's venue worth their salt will have sound checks and soundmen who should, but not always, keep your levels steady.
Fender P Bass Mex

Guitar Set Up
Fender Strat Mex (Modded)
Toadwords Leo Jr
Vox Wah V847
Electro Harmonix LBP-1
Line 6 FM4
Boss DD-20
TC Electronic Tuner
Orange Tiny Terror(ist)

Check out my band
www.asparagusnow.com
Everyone in my band is wireless (except me.. broke mine and havent gotten around to buy new one) and when we do a practice song about 15 minutes before our first set we all stand out where the crowd would be and listen.
From the stage it is absolutely impossible to tell. You need to rely on whoever is doing sound for you to do it right. Otherwise, all you have to go on is if people in the audience to give you feedback. Personally, I'll trust a soundman before I trust some drunk guy in the audience.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.