Hey, I've been playing guitar for about a year now. I've learned myself at home and it's coming along pretty well. But I have a problem with my pinky finger(the smallest finger #4, if you will). I cant reach anything with it, atleast not when playing above 7th fret or something. And when I bend my fingers it tends to go inwards like almost pointing between my wrist and the thumb. Please help me, this is a huge issue for me when playing!
just practice simple stuff that requires your pinky finger, and work your speed up, and try to make the music a bit more difficult once you have they faster stuff down.
Thanks for the advice, but I mean that I cant like reach the low E string with my pinky. And certainly not the low B since I play a 7String. A mean it's just harder for me to reach a note in for example the pentatonic scale on the low E than with my ring finger.
Essentially what I've done, that helps a lot if you're too lazy to do actual excersices (Which you shouldn't be), is in songs, use the pinky whenever you can.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
How did your other fingers work when you first started playing?
Not too well I'd wager...

Same goes for your pinky. Use it or lose it.
Thanks a lot for the advice, I'll start using my pinky a lot more! But one thing is that when I play further up on the neck like doing pentatonic on lets say 12th och 14th fret or so, It's just impossible to reach if I hold my thumb as recommended in the back. Do you have to press with your thumb like that or can you hold your palm against the back of the neck?
Quote by kendorobban
Thanks a lot for the advice, I'll start using my pinky a lot more! But one thing is that when I play further up on the neck like doing pentatonic on lets say 12th och 14th fret or so, It's just impossible to reach if I hold my thumb as recommended in the back. Do you have to press with your thumb like that or can you hold your palm against the back of the neck?

You should still have your thumb on the back of the neck just as you would lower down on the neck. It may feel awkward at first but you'll get used to it and you'll benefit in the long run.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Yeah well I mean, I can reach around with my pinky when I'm sitting down, and having the guitar higher as you naturally do when your sitting down. But when standing up and having the neck around waist height i can't! My pinky isn't long enough?
Quote by kendorobban
Yeah well I mean, I can reach around with my pinky when I'm sitting down, and having the guitar higher as you naturally do when your sitting down. But when standing up and having the neck around waist height i can't! My pinky isn't long enough?

Shorten your strap so your guitar is higher, or just raise the neck. If you watch really good players their guitar is hardly ever in one place. They rock it, raise it, tilt and teeter it.

As far as your thumb, just let it do its own thing. You thumb isnt even playing anything so why would anyone care what your thumb is doing in the back? Yes, you need to proper form so to speak, but keeping your thumb in one rigid spot is crap they tell stone cold beginners so they dont learn bad habbits.
Quote by kendorobban

Raise the guitar. Shorten your strap.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.