So I've decided to get a PRS, I've been playing my brothers satin Standard 22 for a couple weeks (he got deployed and dropped it by my house to keep an eye on it...ahahah).

I went to my favorite local music store which has a huge selection of PRS's. The owner is an awesome guy, he really takes an interest in what you are looking for, not what he wants to sell you. I told him I was just looking and wasn't buying today. He spent over an hour explaining the differences and letting me play 10 different PRS's.

I've narrowed it down to two, a Singlecut Satin Standard 22, or a 10top McCarty II. I really can't decide if the 10top is worth the extra $$. I'd probally spend the money saved on the standard on new studio gear, so money really isn't the issue.

This will probally end up being my main axe, and am worried that I might end up tearing it up. But the Blue Mateo color on the McCarty flame has to be the most gorgeous guitar color combination ever. It looks like you're playing the ocean. It sounds spectacular as well. The Standard has a more meaty sound, but the McCarty has awesome sustain and shimmering highs.

Any thoughts from other PRS owners, or anyone who has played them?
Check out the custom line - my preference being the custom 24. While I haven't gotten to play the McCarty (although from what I hear its a beautiful guitar), the custom 24 is much better than the standard - pickups, wood, etc. I personally like the versatility of the Dragon pickups, and if you can still get your hands on a 20th anniversary model, the fretboards are made with some amazing Brazilian rosewood - the harmonics just shine through, and the sustain is great. The McCarty features a fixed bridge, but you should check out the PRS semi-floating bridge. I love it, and it stays in perfect tune (i used to have a FL trem, and hated it, so its a bit deal for me to like floating - semi floating bridges). Just play one and see which you like better. Oh yeah, the 10tops and the flame tops are beautiful - almost worth saving the extra $ - but you'll be devastated if you chip it! Good luck.

Hope that helps!

Oh yeah, get an amp to justify the axe.
Definitely look at the Custom 24. As for top 10, I justified buying it for more since I never expect to sell it. It's like a nice piece of furniture--pay up to get the most you can afford.

Also, one piece of advice. There is a lot of guys discounting PRS's. Check the internet. Also, look on eBay as you can often find a slightly used one for a significant discount.

I like to support the local guys, but my local guy wanted $500 more than what I paid to buy one shipped to my house from Wilcutt Guitars.

Good luck. Great guitars.
1999 Gibson LP R9
2006 Tele John Cruz Masterbuilt
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2008 PRS SC-J Thinline Black Cherry/Bigsby (for sale)
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Quote by Schwebel
This will probally end up being my main axe, and am worried that I might end up tearing it up. But the Blue Mateo color on the McCarty flame has to be the most gorgeous guitar color combination ever. It looks like you're playing the ocean. It sounds spectacular as well. The Standard has a more meaty sound, but the McCarty has awesome sustain and shimmering highs.

Totally off-topic, but it sounds kinda like my Les Paul, which also looks very oceany.

I'd say we can't really help you, it comes down to your preference. It's not like a cheap thing where people can say, oh no it's got a shitty trem, they're both going to be well made and it's a matter of what tone, shape, etc. you like more.