I'm getting a guitar with a nitrocellulose finish soon and I've heard these finishes are easy to scratch and get dings and cracks quite easily. I've also heard certain types of guitar stands and wall hangars damage the finish. If true, what's the best way to take care and clean a guitar with a nitro finish?

Cheers.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
avoid leather , it will stain .
avoid rubber , it will stain too .
u cant really avoid dings and scratches i guess lol .

btw what are u getting?
Gibson SG Diablo

Avoid leather? Really? So much for that, rather expensive, leather strap I just bought... lol
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
Nitro finishes tend to become worn with time, so there's nothing you can do to prevent that but just take care of it, eventually it will start to come off (sweat, etc..) Nice guitar btw
Quote by Yerjam
I'm getting a guitar with a nitrocellulose finish soon and I've heard these finishes are easy to scratch and get dings and cracks quite easily. I've also heard certain types of guitar stands and wall hangars damage the finish. If true, what's the best way to take care and clean a guitar with a nitro finish?

Cheers.
The paranoids at the Gibson LP forum recommend the Hercules nitro-safe stands and hangers and they wrap cotton around the contact points.

To be really safe, just keep it in the case that the manufacturer provided.

Quote by Ippon
The paranoids at the Gibson LP forum recommend the Hercules nitro-safe stands and hangers and they wrap cotton around the contact points.

To be really safe, just keep it in the case that the manufacturer provided.

This is starting to seem like a really good idea. Oh and thanks Woozye!
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
Quote by Yerjam

Cheers.

Clean it with proper guitar cleaner. Ultimately though, you cannot keep it in mint condition forever. A nitro guitar will get dents and scratches etc. You will molly coddle it and handle it really gingerly at first, determined to keep it perfect. Then it will get it's first dent/scratch, and you will be really pissed off. The it will get another, and you will be pissed off, but less so than the first time. Then for every dent/scratch your guitar gradually accrues, you will become less and less bothered by them, until one day you don't care at all, and even kind of like it's dents and scratches, considering them as "character". If you gig this guitar at all, then don't even dream of keeping it mint. After like two or three gigs it will have a bunch of marks already.

Just try not to worry about it. Definitely clean your guitar regularly, but not with a view to keeping it mint, just do it in order to look after it. If it's a choice between playing it and getting marks on it, or not playing it and keeping it mint- just play it. A mint nitrocellulose guitar that is over a couple months old is a faggot's guitar.
Last edited by Martin Scott at Nov 12, 2008,
as ippon says, i put cloth over the contact points on my guitar stands... just make sure that everything you use on it specifically says "safe with nitrocellulose"... if it doesn't say, assume it's not...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Yerjam

Cheers.

all that is true

but even though you dent the guitar easily, the nitro finish is easy to fill in
apparently that's 1 of the bonuses to nitrocellulose is that it is easily repared

I got a dunlop cleaning kit and my guitar looks great, but i did get a ding
I haven't replaced it yet either, but it's all good

Leather straps are fine. just make sure your leather strap isn't rubbbing and always in contact with the guitar. if you use it like a strap and take it off when you are done, you'll be fine. I've never had that probelm with my guitar. I also leave mine in the case.
Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
I love the Sg Diablo and I want one I hate Nitrocellulose but it wouldn't and never has stopped me from buying a Gibson. My biggest problem with the new formular Nitrocellulose is it's not as good as the old finish but that was never all that great either IMHO. Nitrocellulose is very thin and it does all that is stated it dings, scratches, fades, stains and reacts with a lot of plastics/vinyls etc. If you want to keep it as good as new just be very carefull with it.
Like Martin Scott said, shit happens, just deal with it. It's actually part of the beauty of nitro finishes.

However, there is one thing to take care of that is very nasty and really damages the value of a guitar more than any scratch, and can be easily avoided. If you guitar is nitro-finished and has a white finish, if you leave it in a average or warm room for any longer than about an hour, the white will absorb the colour of whatever it's touching, and this is literally impossible to remove unless you have the whole guitar re-finished. This means if you put the guitar down on a piece of newspaper for two hours indoors on a warm summer day, when you pick it up it might actually have the newspaper print, pictures text and all, permanently stained on the guitar! Obviously this is far worse than any random scratch, and it basically makes the guitar lose all value.

This does only apply to white finishes though, so if the finish isn't white, you shouldn't have any problem.

And above all else, regardless of finish - do keep it in it's hardcase when you're not using it. There isn't a single stand on earth that is anywhere near as secure as a hardcase.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
lol, I've never heard of that about white nitrocellulose guitars, that's kinda cool! Well, wouldn't be so cool if it happened to me... :P Luckily my Diablo's metallic red.

I suppose you guys are right, I was a bit worried about dings and scratches ruining the guitar, but now I'm just gonna think, "**** it, gives it a bit of character!". Still, like Martin Scott said I'm still going to look after the guitar. Seems such a shame to keep such a beautiful guitar in its case but if that's how it has to be...

btw, I'm enjoying this quote from Martin Scott:

"A mint nitrocellulose guitar that is over a couple months old is a faggot's guitar."
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
Well, the process is always as follows.
Your guitar is shining brand new, you take a lot of care, as much care you provide more likely bad accidents follow.
2 months later, no matter what the shining will start to fade, one year later it would start to look o;d and 2 years later it would become obvious that is not an art frame but a guitar, at this point reactions may vary, some will say that is fantastic your wonderful guitar started to look vintage, others will freak out and start saving for re doing it, problem is, is very expensive and also every time you do it some wood will be lost and guitar tone will vary.

Other wiser people, will be finally free and stop thinking about how beautiful your guitar looks and beware of playing and enjoying it. Which one are you?, wait 2 years and you will tell me.

Nitro goes yellow with time, it does no matter the cleaning and despite what people says, it doesn't matter smoking, nicotine goes with cleaning, the degree of yellowness mixed with the actual paint will depend on humidity, white will go opaque, yellow will resit the most but will loose any shine, and blue will turn green.

I live in London, so is a lost fight, if you live in Florida or California and take care during winter then you will have some extra time but the pass of time is unavoidable, if you are a really control freak you will use a lot of time, anger, anguish and bad time just to keep it a bit better.

The best guitars for this are Les Paul and some others like the Explorer Diamond Plate which has a painted plastic in the front adding resistance, preserving sound and making the appearance the most long lasting, otherwise, Mahogany will absorb the paint and humidity altogether as a normal natural process.
Uh... usually people want nitro finishes because the fact that they wear... Plus the wood breathes better. My Jim Root Tele has a nitro finish, and its already starting to wear. Its gonna look kickass in a few years
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
White isn't so bad and neither is nitro. I have an alpine white studio that's 5 years old that's pretty tough. They tend to put a ton of paint on the solid color guitars. You can barley make out the serial. Pretty much all white paint yellows over time. That in itself is a losing battle.

Cases are for lonely guitars. Keep em out and play them.
Just to add another tip.....

Don't use cleaners/polishes that have silicone in them
Quote by Ippon
Holy Necro Bump!

Shittt... It was a necro bump Didnt even look at the dates.
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro