After relying on a Zoom GX1 to produce my effects for a good year and a half, I felt it was time to move on to bigger, 'badder' things. I play a Fender MIM Strat, an Epiphone SG400, and a Lyon by Washburn 2-humbucker thingy. My sound varies from blues to rock, indie to metal - anything but the dreaded hip-hop, rap-crap and any other rhyming-couplet-titled genres. Looking for a twangy tweed sound, easily interchangable with varying levels of distortion.

The product that has caught my eye and seems to get startlingly good reviews is the Pod XT Live - £249 around my area.
But I thought I'd ask the wise UGers just to check before I spent such a lot of caaash.
Are there any Boss alternatives more worthwhile?
Do I need any particular knowledge of amps & cabs to operate it properly? Because I must admit on first glance of the "top amp models" that the Pod XT Live is based on... I couldn't tell a Fender Frontman from a Line6 Spider; I've not got the cash to be playing through anything greater than a Peavey Bandit and the occasional PA.

Apologies for the long thread-start, any help much appreciated.
))
Its times like these you learn to live again. If you even knew in the first place.
Two questions for you mate. What Amp do you currently use? and what effects are you really likely to use?
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
1) I vary between a Marshall 15WCDR, a Peavey Bandit 120 and my Zoom pedal through a Roland Keyboard Amp (easiest way of making the sound as neutral as possible).
2) I'm likely to use everything I can get my hands on - I love experimenting with new sounds for new riffs. Was loving a sample from the FX Junkie Pack called "Buzz Rip" i think. But I do play pretty much anything, so I want as broad a selection of sounds i can get. Particularly if they'll make my low-mid costing guitars sound professional.
Its times like these you learn to live again. If you even knew in the first place.
You'll like the POD. Read the manual.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by TheEsupremacy
Start up a pedal collection/board and never ever look back.

Getting there....hopefully by March, i'll have a Phase 90 and a Blue Box.

And about the pod xt, a friend of mine plays bass in a band and he says him and his entire band (besides the drummer obviously) use the POD XT live for their gigs.
When you have 5 minutes to setup and 5 more for a soundcheck, a POD can really come in handy.
PODxt live is awesome for anything, if you take the time to tweak it. The presets stink. Don't want to self-promote, but everything on my profile is recorded with the POD (the videos too, lined directly to the computer).
Well if you have the keyboard amp then thats gonne be the pods best friend as the amp has to be as colourless as possible to get the full effect of the amp sims.

Get an xt live and the fx junkie pack is included as standard. There is however no way id pay full retail price for an xt live though expecially as the X3 is out. Id hop onto the ebay and get a good condish secondhand one for around £140 or slightly more depending on what addon packs it has. XTs are made like tanks so theres not much that can go wronng with a secondhand purchase. Either that of stump up the extra cash for an X3.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by halikus
Well if you have the keyboard amp then thats gonne be the pods best friend as the amp has to be as colourless as possible to get the full effect of the amp sims.

Get an xt live and the fx junkie pack is included as standard. There is however no way id pay full retail price for an xt live though expecially as the X3 is out. Id hop onto the ebay and get a good condish secondhand one for around £140 or slightly more depending on what addon packs it has. XTs are made like tanks so theres not much that can go wronng with a secondhand purchase. Either that of stump up the extra cash for an X3.

I've played both and preferred the xt over the x3. The x3 has more possibilities, but a lot of them aren't that necessary, like paying extra for a car with a barbecue in the trunk, there's no need. And I've heard a lot of bad stories about the durability of the x3, it's supposed to be quite fragile and not optimised for stomping on (which you'll have to do in a live situation). The PODxt Live is, like you said, built like a tank, I know that from extensive gigging experience. And it sounds great.