How on earth do you do it? I can do vibrato normally - well classical vib and finger vib, and I can bend, but I cannot make my fingers/hand/arm hold a bent note and vib at the same time - is it just a case of practice or am I doing something wrong? It feels like my hands locked in position when I'm holding the bent note, and if I try and relax it to vib it all just goes horribly wrong

Cheers
It's hard in the begging i also though that there was something wrong with me xD just keep practicing, the more you do it the more smoth you will be able to do it. But be careful not to "overbend" (don't know what to call it). When you have bent the string and go back to the note you started on be sure not to go past the note you started on becouse then it's not a vribrato.
I do it on .012 inch and don't have much strength so i don't think it's a problem. Maybe it's just unusual to you
Thanks. I use my wrist to bend rather than finger strength - maybe thats the problem, as I kind of lock my fingers in place to bend and haven't found the knack of relaxing them enough to vib yet. More practice required I guess
Quote by zhilla
Thanks. I use my wrist to bend rather than finger strength - maybe thats the problem, as I kind of lock my fingers in place to bend and haven't found the knack of relaxing them enough to vib yet. More practice required I guess

You shouldn't be using your fingers for vibrato anyway, you should be using the exact same motion for vibrato as you do for bending.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
so....keep my fingers where they are (bentness-wise...if thats a word) and kind of relax my wrist to vib?
Quote by zhilla
so....keep my fingers where they are (bentness-wise...if thats a word) and kind of relax my wrist to vib?

Basically yes, all the power when bending or using vibrato should come from the arm and wrist so you lock your fingers in place and rock your arm/hand back and forth to alter the pitch. If you go on youtube and look for lessons by Joe Satriani there's a couple of videos where he really breaks down the mechanics of how it should work if you're interested.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
While I struggle with this as well, I've found a couple of things that help me.

First, I try to have my finger as perpendicular as possible to the fretboard instead of letting it lay sideways. Second, when I try to press down too hard on the fretboard, bent note vibrato is very difficult to pull off.

I'm sure that Satriani guy has better suggestions than me ;-) but those are the two main things I try to work through when practicing.