well i play for my churches youth group i need to buy a mic. i will be micing my amp. so what kind of mic do i need to buy? i dont want to spend over 50 for the mic. and i wnt to be at least a half way decent mic. and i am going to get the moster cable mic to. is that all i need ? thanks for helping my out.

Redsox4ever5955
second hand SM57 perhaps, or 58. and what are you wait hold on, your micing an amp for a church gig, isnt the amp loud enough? Orr, are you putting it through some sort of PA/speaker system. if so, XLR cable would do mic -> PA depending.
$50? you will NOT get a decent mic for that, unless it's either used or ripped off. Look on ebay, you might get lucky with a used Shure SM57. If not, try saving for a bit longer and get an SM57.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Like said before the Shure SM57 is the industry standard, I would save up for one and not buy a cheapie. You might be able to find one used for $75 or so.
$50? you will NOT get a decent mic for that, unless it's either used or ripped off. Look on ebay, you might get lucky with a used Shure SM57. If not, try saving for a bit longer and get an SM57.

Not at all true. He doesn't know what he is talking about. First of all you can probably find an SM57 used for just over 50.

I fantastic mic would be the Behringer xm8500. It doesn't have a on/off switch but, IMHO it has superior sound to the Sure 57. Maybe not as durable but since you aren't doing heavy giggin it wont matter.
Main Rigs
Guitars
Thineline tele with SD lil '59

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
Quote by teknotard
Not at all true. He doesn't know what he is talking about. First of all you can probably find an SM57 used for just over 50.

I fantastic mic would be the Behringer xm8500. It doesn't have a on/off switch but, IMHO it has superior sound to the Sure 57. Maybe not as durable but since you aren't doing heavy giggin it wont matter.

HAHA, I'm seriousley considering siging this.

first of all I said you won't get a decent mic for $50 "UNLESS IT'S USED OR RIPPED OFF"

second, behringer make cheap chinese-built copies of well known microphones. The reason the SM57 is the industry standard is because it's probably the best instrument mic there is. 90% of the electric guitars on all of the music you hear have been recorded with an SM57, or several SM57's or an SM57 in conjunction with something else.
Quote by griffRG7321

Quote by Flying Couch

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Last edited by Sonny_sam at Nov 12, 2008,
Quote by teknotard

thank you so much thats more in my price range. 20 bucks i can handle that. i am 16 and really did not want to spend 85 on a mic. so thanks. now what do you think about this cable?http://www.music123.com/Monster-Cable-S-100-XLR-Microphone-Cable-331643-i1128553.Music123
search for Apex mics, they're Shure copies. $40 for a SM57 copy, brand new.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
www.ebay.com plenty of used 57's in auctions going for under $50.

And btw, that cable looks fine, but if you're stupid enough to buy a $20 mic, you deserve the terrible sound quality you'll get.
Quote by griffRG7321

Quote by Flying Couch

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
The reason the SM57 is the industry standard is because it's probably the best instrument mic there is. 90% of the electric guitars on all of the music you hear have been recorded with an SM57, or several SM57's or an SM57 in conjunction with something else.

No doubt they are the industry standard. It is a fantasitc microphone, i have several. But the fact is that the xm8500 has a better response.

That fact that it is an indusrty standard has more to do with the fact that sure is a more established company. Furthermore, if you were a producer and had the choice of a 100 dollar microphone or a 20 dollar you would most alway choose the 100 dollar mic, for better or worse.

You would be an idiot to dismiss the xm8500 based on that only. I'm sorry.

To be honest this is what really erks me about people. You can often get a superior tone from cheaper instruments if you actually have some knowledge. You have the same attitude that many "tone snobs" have that keep prices high. It is the same when comparing to generic RX medication (sorry to bring this in but it is applicable). The world is full of idoits who beileve the cheaper generic medicine doesn't work as well as brand name. The same applies to a lot (not all) instruments. Often times you can find a great quality mic at the frraction of the price.

If you really want, go look at reviews of this mic and you will see that most people agree with me, you sir do not know what you are talking about.
Main Rigs
Guitars

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
Quote by teknotard
No doubt they are the industry standard. It is a fantasitc microphone, i have several. But the fact is that the xm8500 has a better response.

That fact that it is an indusrty standard has more to do with the fact that sure is a more established company. Furthermore, if you were a producer and had the choice of a 100 dollar microphone or a 20 dollar you would most alway choose the 100 dollar mic, for better or worse.

You would be an idiot to dismiss the xm8500 based on that only. I'm sorry.

To be honest this is what really erks me about people. You can often get a superior tone from cheaper instruments if you actually have some knowledge. You have the same attitude that many "tone snobs" have that keep prices high. It is the same when comparing to generic RX medication (sorry to bring this in but it is applicable). The world is full of idoits who beileve the cheaper generic medicine doesn't work as well as brand name. The same applies to a lot (not all) instruments. Often times you can find a great quality mic at the frraction of the price.

If you really want, go look at reviews of this mic and you will see that most people agree with me, you sir do not know what you are talking about.

i read a ton of the reviews. and i am going to buy the mic. it has a 4 and a half stars. and it has 238 reviews. thank for all the info.
Quote by Redsox4ever5955

Thanks for the back up man. It's true, I have not heard very many compaints about the mic. In fact I have used it over many of my other dynamics for most of my recording and live.

And the best thing is, if it gets lost, stolen, or it breaks; you're only out 20 dollars.
Main Rigs
Guitars

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
Quote by Redsox4ever5955

read reviews of SM57's and tell me they arent better.

BTW, this should be in the Riffs and recordings section. I suggest you post your original message there and you'll get replies from other people who have lots of experience in this field.
Quote by griffRG7321

Quote by Flying Couch

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by Sonny_sam

BTW, this should be in the Riffs and recordings section. I suggest you post your original message there and you'll get replies from other people who have lots of experience in this field.

yea those mics should be better there 100 $.
I understand that you're young, & money is not easy to come by, but investing ONE TIME in a good piece of gear will save you from re-buying stuff later. I just bought a brand new Shure SM57 with 20 ft XLR cable & fully adjustable boom stand for $99 US on ebay 2 weeks ago. All brand new. The stand is kick ass, too. Save your money & do it right.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by Sonny_sam

I don't think anyone is denying the quality of a 57. They absolutly excellent microphones. But the behringer are superior, expiecally when it comes to price. The biggest issue with behringer mics, or any behringer equipment is durability. I will addmit, I have been through a few myself. However, I tend to but a n extremly high demand on my microphones. For someone who is playing for church they aren't likley putting the mic through my normal wear an tear.
Main Rigs
Guitars

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
hahaha you actually inspired to go buy another one for one of my other bands. Thanks. :-D
Main Rigs
Guitars

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
sigh, forget it. Buy the mic. Several of us have given you some good advice, but we can't make you take it.

and as for you're "yeah that mic should be better, it's $100", generally things cost more because they are better quality and will do the job better. I will admit that with shure microphones, as well as many other companies, you are partially paying for the name, but how do you think they got that name in the first place?
Quote by griffRG7321

Quote by Flying Couch

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by riffhog
I understand that you're young, & money is not easy to come by, but investing ONE TIME in a good piece of gear will save you from re-buying stuff later. I just bought a brand new Shure SM57 with 20 ft XLR cable & fully adjustable boom stand for $99 US on ebay 2 weeks ago. All brand new. The stand is kick ass, too. Save your money & do it right.

Once again, we have a winner!
and thanks for all the advice. it has help me alot. and i was not dissing shure mics. its just i cant aford that now. but when i get to be a rockstar. i will buy one. or when i get a job. i hope soon