I have a huge dilemma, I'm trying out for a bass player position for a band and the guitarist wants me to try and learn the bass by ear, which I have never done and am finding it extremely difficult to do, if anyone more experienced can help me tab out these songs I would be extremely grateful! Please, somebody help me, this band is a great opportunity and just need some help. Thank You!
i am not going to tab them out, because what happens with the next song? you cant keep coming back ! But listen man, these are really easy songs to learn by ear because its mostly root notes with a few fills. The riffs are quite simple. the fills you can improv anyway, so basically this should be pretty easy for you if you just sit down for a bit and try. Honestly, its not that difficult. it just seems scary at first.

Good luck, i hope you get in the band bra
i know i figured someone would say that, its just that i wanted help for these songs then there was going to be like 4 months to take lessons and such before tour, so i just wanted some help.
ok if i have time later i will see what i can do for you man. you begter remember me when you are rich and famous!!
It is also difficult for me to learn by ear but i am getting better. I find the best way to learn by ear is to listen the song a lot to get the "gist" of it then break the song down into parts then replay those parts, just those parts and try to figure out the bassline for it. Then once youve figured out the basslines then try to play from start to finish along with the CD.

I find that this really helps my rythm also.
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
It's partially just experience; the better you know the bass, the better you know how to get the sounds you want out of it. How long have you been playing, and how much do you practice?
Quote by herby190
It's partially just experience; the better you know the bass, the better you know how to get the sounds you want out of it. How long have you been playing, and how much do you practice?

it's... partially just experience? What does that even mean? The better you know the bass... the better you know how to get the sounds you want out of it? That's like... I shudder.... Sounds like you're talking about getting a certain tone and timbre, rather than pitch, man.

in anycase, these songs are pretty easy man, and if these guys aren't willing to at least tell you how to play their songs, do you really want to be in a band with them?

Learning by ear fluidly takes a while to learn to do. I've been playing bass for about 9 years now, and I can't just sit down with a song and know how to play it after one listen. If you've been playing for a few years, just sit down with you bass, these songs and see if you can hammer them out. If you're brand new to bass, just ask the guys to not be dicks and just tell you how to play the songs. If they don't, I'm willing to guess that the guitarists don't know the bass parts.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Last edited by Thomme at Nov 17, 2008,