Hey there, I'm a student of culinary arts and I like this course a lot.However, it's been bothering me that the nature of this job requires me to stand while working. This is a really big problem because my knees feel pain fast. It's a kinda passed down thing. My dad too has this problem.Is there anything I can do for my knees?Or should I just change to a new course?I really hope I can stick to the original plan of becoming a chef.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
get your knees checked out, hopefully something can be done

if you really like to chef, you should do it
▲I had a friend once
►He took some acid
▼Now he thinks he's a fire engine
Quote by sysdown27
get your knees checked out, hopefully something can be done

if you really like to chef, you should do it

do you mean "if you like to cook"?
i was going along with his thread title
▲I had a friend once
►He took some acid
▼Now he thinks he's a fire engine
if you have knee problems now, imagine how it's going to be when you're 50..

but yeah, see some doctors, maybe they can help!
You definitely need to check out that knee .
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
Dr.Scholls insoles! Comfy as hell.
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
You can't tune a LP copies down. Some kind of lawsuit Gibson won. Sorry.
Sorry to ask, but, are you overweight? If so, work out and your knees will be fine.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
I would chef (also going along with the thread title, damn grammar nazis). Maybe there are jobs you could do when you get older that require culinary knowledge but not standing? I can't think of many but I'm sure they're out there. Can you take some journalism classes and eventually be a food critic?
Quote by n to the k
do you mean "if you like to cook"?

sure he wasn't just going along with the title.
Knee pain is a problem indeed, try exercising your knees in order to strengthen them.
Other than exercising your knees, there are a great number of things you can do you to help alleviate this pain.

-Knee braces.

-Dr. Scholls' (as mentioned).

-Boots - Get some shoes with ankle support. Without it, you'll be wobbling around all night. And don't think Crocs will help. Those pieces of shit offer the worst performance for that sort of job.

-Glucosamin/Chondroitin - Available at Wal-Mart, your local pharmacy, or any vitamin store. These help promote joint health, and can help you build stronger support muscles. The FDA hasn't approved these supplements, though, but they have been used in Europe for years.

-Aleve/Aspirin - Non-steroidal Anti-Inflammatory drugs. Available over-the-counter, but be careful, as you can development a chemical dependency.

-Stretches- Isolate the specific location of the pain and stretch the tendons, tissue and muscle in that area.

-Just Rest- Having worked closely with the chefs at my place of work, I know that you don't often get an opportunity to rest, and there isn't much room in the kitchen for a chair. But, when you do get the opportunity, find somewhere to rest, whether it be for thirty seconds or ten minutes. Every little bit helps.

-Ice/Cayenne Pepper- Either of these can be easy to find in a kitchen, and both serve to reduce inflammation and pain.

If you really want to be a chef, don't let a bit of pain stop you. Allow it to fuel you to find new ways to do your job. Revolutionize the industry.

Remember, you make the final decision, no matter what happens. You are the only one that can decide your path.
You take your car to work, I'll take my board, and when you're out of fuel, I'm still afloat.
Just man it up, and drink a bottle of cooking sherry. The service might slow down, but on the plus side if you ever cut yourself butterflying a chicken, you wont feel a thing, you may even giggle like a school girl.
If your knee hurts just standing for a while, you'll be screwed with moving at all, go get it checked out.

You might have a congenital defect/malformation in the cartilage in the knee (Meniscus) or a slipping knee cap/Bichon Knee problens.

Go for your dream of being a chef, if it's what you want to do, do it.

Get it checked out by a QUALIFIED doctor instead of asking the pit for career advice cause of your bad knee.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by n to the k
amputation then get robot legs

ONE DAY, I WILL HAVE MACHINE FINGERS!

I DON'T EVEN CARE, CUT MY FINGERS OFF!
signatures are budget.
Quote by Baruch

-Glucosamin/Chondroitin - Available at Wal-Mart, your local pharmacy, or any vitamin store. These help promote joint health, and can help you build stronger support muscles. The FDA hasn't approved these supplements, though, but they have been used in Europe for years.

I can vouch for glucosamine, ive had problems with joints for a few years, and when I started weight training they hurt even worse, about 6 months in I started using glucosamine as a kind of 'might as well, it cant hurt' and now my joints feel alot better, this may be the glucosamine, or working the joints and them getting used to it, or abit of both. But hey, its better.
Buy a really tall chair.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Thank you guys for the serious comments!Yeah I'll see a doctor for sure.Exercise huh? Yeah I guess I kinda lack of exercise but I'm definitely not overweight though.I asked my brother what I could do and hee told me to go to the gym and squat a lot.Is that more damaging or beneficial?

(BTW,the chef or not to chef thread title was on purpose)
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
dude i feel your pain i wanted to cook so badly its been a tradition thing passed down to the oldest male each generation. they become a chef it has been happening for four generations i would have been the fifth. i really love to cook but i ****ed up my knee in wrestling and had to do two surgeries and was on crutches for 11 months but now i can walk again but i have a limp and there is now a non stop pain that wont go away no matter what they do. i took pain pills in the begging but after a year and a half once i finaly began to realize what it meant when he said i was always gonna have pain so i just learned to live with it. but i know i wont be able to cook though standing for periods of time is an issue for me to.
SKY BLUE TEAM OWNS ALL (If we still exsited)
Quote by Broken-pick
Thank you guys for the serious comments!Yeah I'll see a doctor for sure.Exercise huh? Yeah I guess I kinda lack of exercise but I'm definitely not overweight though.I asked my brother what I could do and hee told me to go to the gym and squat a lot.Is that more damaging or beneficial?

(BTW,the chef or not to chef thread title was on purpose)

Damaging (possibly). Squatting will build up leg muscles, and do nothing for your joints. You'd need to have perfect form just to avoid hurting your knees more. Just stretching a bit would probably be a lot more helpful in the physical motion department.
try to bend your knees a little instead of locking them. My knees used to hurt a little before I started doing that.
I am thinking of going to chef school as well. do you think you could pm me your email address if you don't mind? I would like to ask some legit questions about being a chef and the school.
Dont worry about the pain in your knees, after spending the last 20+ years "cheffing" (going along with the heading) I can speak from experience that the pain your back will make you forget about the pain in your knees.
Being a Chef mean long hours on your feet. I joke about working half days I go in at 8 am and leave at 8pm, half of a day right?
Gear;
Ibanez AF75
Takamine EG550
Digitech gnx3
Peavey Classic 50
Go to an orthopod, get your knees checked out.

IT might just be an alignment problem, which could easily be fixed with a good pair of shoes and custom insoles.

You might want to get custom insoles anyways, becuase they really do help a lot if you are one your feet a bunch.