I just recently got back into guitar after a 10+ year hiatus. I bought a Schecter Omen 6 to get back up to speed. I was very impressed, it feels like it is more guitar then the money ($300). However I'm looking to upgrade my guitar in the near future, I don't want to spend a ton, trying to stay under $1K.

The Omen 6 made me a Schecter fan and Opeth has made me a PRS fan. I'm debating between the C1 Hellraiser and the PRS SE Paul Allender. I'm leaning towards the Hellraiser as it seems to have more bells and whistles (EMG's, coil tap, etc..). They are similarly priced which makes the decision more difficult. Which one do I get?
C-1 Hellraiser is a great guitar, Schecter is a lot of bang for the buck. I'd consider buying used if I were you though, I've seen A LOT of Hellraisers going for ~$400 lately. That being the case, you could buy something that costs more than $1000 used and get an awesome guitar.

However, neither one will sound much better than your Omen if you're using a low-quality amp. What are you using?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I am currently using a cheap Crate amp, I plan to get a new one before the guitar anyway. Maybe a Line 6.
Stay FAR away from Line 6 Spiders.

I'd suggest buying a decent tube combo such as a Randall RG50TC and then spending what you have left on a nice guitar. Unless you buy a higher quality solid-state amp, you probably won't be able to distinguish between a high quality guitar and low quality guitar through it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Well, I really don't want to spend $600+ on an amp (Randall), any other suggestions?
Well, you have to realize that your amp is the biggest factor in your tone, more so than your guitar. If you want to improve your tone, you'll have to make an investment.
550 is not a lot of money, for a metal amp, sir. The Randall listed here is one of the best metal amps you can get in a lower price range like that.

Also, EMGs won't do quat for you through your Spider. Thery're designed to drive the front end of a tube amp hard.
It's not to say that Solid state, or even modeling amps, are bad...

But the Spider, while seemingly good, is not a good choice.

So.. My recommendation of modeling amps:

1.) Roland Cube
2.) Peavey Vypyr
3.) Vox Valvetronix
Quote by roshjosh
It's not to say that Solid state, or even modeling amps, are bad...

But the Spider, while seemingly good, is not a good choice.

So.. My recommendation of modeling amps:

1.) Roland Cube
2.) Peavey Vypyr
3.) Vox Valvetronix

Exactly.

My Ampeg VH-140C owns
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com