Page 1 of 2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_immortality

Its kind of a hard concept to grasp......but this is something I guess I always considered... and then I found this...
So apparently I'm not the only one who thinks about this.... any thoughts?

also.... it may help to read some of the links in the article to fully understand
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
Wait, I read it and it's still a little blury. So basically, if the gun doesn't trigger the experimenter is split off into another world of the many worlds? Or if the gun DOES trigger he is. It's kind of hard to ffollow, maybe becaus ei dont know the Copenhagens interpretation. explain please its really interesting
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
That really makes your wonder... But is there anyway to prove it hundred percent true?
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all
Read this ages ago.

I find it implausible, as there would be more differences in different universes.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Wow, you're all stupid.

Quote by boreamor
Is there a TL;DR?

Basically, the multiple worlds theory states that for every thing that could have happened differently, there is a parallel universe where it did. This presents an infinite number of parallel universes, and it's proposed that there must be at least one universe in which we are invincible, as every time we try to could die, we beat the odds.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Something interesting is that the father of Mr. E of the Eels came up with the theory.

THE MOAR U KNOW!!!!
Quote by break-me-in
Wow, you're all stupid.

Basically, the multiple worlds theory states that for every thing that could have happened differently, there is a parallel universe where it did. This presents an infinite number of parallel universes, and it's proposed that there must be at least one universe in which we are invincible, as every time we try to could die, we beat the odds.

So wouldnt that mean if say we died from a car crash or basically anything else, we'd still survive in one of the other universes? I mean, is there a reason behind the gun?
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
Quote by hyroglyph!c
So wouldnt that mean if say we died from a car crash or basically anything else, we'd still survive in one of the other universes? I mean, is there a reason behind the gun?

No, it's just a mechanism used to convey this in experiment form. As far as I can tell.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by hyroglyph!c
So wouldnt that mean if say we died from a car crash or basically anything else, we'd still survive in one of the other universes?

Yep. The multiple universe thingy doesn't stop here either. Just imagine that all things that happen could happen in a different way or not at all. And for each case, a new universe is created.

Quote by break-me-in
No, it's just a mechanism used to convey this in experiment form. As far as I can tell.

There is a theory that states the opposite. I'm not an expert though.
EDIT: I mean the many worlds theory, sorry, I start mixing up things.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Nov 12, 2008,
My head just imploded after reading that.
My Gear:

Washburn 6 String Bantam Series

Fender Mexican P-Bass

Farida Stratocaster

Peavey TNT115S
Quote by break-me-in
Wow, you're all stupid.

I agree it isn't as difficult as you are all making it out to grasp.
Quote by break-me-in
Wow, you're all stupid.

Yeah exactly, it's pretty straight forward.

However this is all based on the idea that all events are based on chance, whereas I am far more a believer in determinism, just because it's plain logical.
Quote by break-me-in
Wow, you're all stupid.

very interesting...

i propose a theory.

In your life time as you perceive it...not how anyone else sees you....you are in the longest life span of each world that you exist in/If you die you just become part of another worlds you.

Doesn't make alot of sense i know.

also i would like to know more about how your conscience is immortal theory.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
i can become erect whilst displeasing women

What a talented person.
So if in MY universe someone conducts this experiment and he dies(that's possible right?), would he then live on in another universe where I live on aswell?

wat?
Quote by hyroglyph!c
I think it has more to do with the gun going off because of the random decay of atoms since it has so much to do with the multiple world interpretation which is based on an equation that accounts for random atom decay.

At least that's my surface understanding of it... I read through a few more things from that page but I get lost in quantum physics when equations and other theories pop up. I don't know anything about it.
Quote by MadClownDisease
whereas I am far more a believer in determinism, just because it's plain logical.

Sorry to crush your beliefs or whatever, but quantum mechanics put an end to determinism in the early 20th century.
Thats all well and good, but what about this consciousness in this word? WE still die. That is someone entirely different in that other universe. Because things happen differently there, they shape us differently, and turn us into different people. So in effect, there really is only one "you", and when you die, thats it. You're conscious doesn't transfer into something else, although, from a genetic standpoint (if you were born at all in the other universe, that is) It is quite possible to still be "alive". "you" is a very fluid term. It can mean you physically, your mind, your habits, likes dislikes, everything. And all of that is shaped by the events that happened in this universe. Anything different equals out to someone else entirely. Just my two cents.
EDIT: Although, if conscious' can cross to other beings, then it could account for deja vu.
Current Gear:
Michael Kelly Club Custom 5 Acoustic Bass
Dean Performer Series PE-QM-TGE
Varrios Basic 5 Bass
Acoustic B450 Combo Amp
I support the 2nd Amendment. I don't support people who abuse it.
Last edited by Rockingbird at Nov 12, 2008,
[quote="'[Sam"]340']Sorry to crush your beliefs or whatever, but quantum mechanics put an end to determinism in the early 20th century.

Yeah but determinism put an end to yer mum.

It was meant to happen.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Omg I have thought about this theory my whole life. I never knew that there was a name for it ahaha.
Quote by Rockingbird
Thats all well and good, but what about this consciousness in this word? WE still die. That is someone entirely different in that other universe. Because things happen differently there, they shape us differently, and turn us into different people. So in effect, there really is only one "you", and when you die, thats it. You're conscious doesn't transfer into something else, although, from a genetic standpoint (if you were born at all in the other universe, that is) It is quite possible to still be "alive". "you" is a very fluid term. It can mean you physically, your mind, your habits, likes dislikes, everything. And all of that is shaped by the events that happened in this universe. Anything different equals out to someone else entirely. Just my two cents.
EDIT: Although, if conscious' can cross to other beings, then it could account for deja vu.

Yes, there is only one you. The thought experiment states that there is a person in a different universe that is exactly like you, and his world is exactly the same as yours. The only difference is that he survives the gunshot. By exactly I mean EXACTLY, even the position and movement of each O2 molecule in the air is the same.
That's what I THINK it states.
Quote by TheQuailman
Yes, there is only one you. The thought experiment states that there is a person in a different universe that is exactly like you, and his world is exactly the same as yours. The only difference is that he survives the gunshot. By exactly I mean EXACTLY, even the position and movement of each O2 molecule in the air is the same.

Pretty much. It's a theory that states that for everything that could happen, there is a universe that does happen. This theory states that as there is always a chance of surviving anything (no matter how small) you will live forever in at least one universe.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by TheQuailman

Actually, i read it to mean that almost everything in the world is the exact same, save for some tiny detail somewhere along the timestream, and because of that subtle change, the world is ultimately ****ed with. Because the world is different, the experiences in it are different, and thus shape us differently, it is not truly you. It may look like you, act like you, or talk like you, but there was always one small aspect of them that didn't match up with the original. In that sense, they are not you.
Current Gear:
Michael Kelly Club Custom 5 Acoustic Bass
Dean Performer Series PE-QM-TGE
Varrios Basic 5 Bass
Acoustic B450 Combo Amp
I support the 2nd Amendment. I don't support people who abuse it.
Sounds really painful.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Rockingbird
Actually, i read it to mean that almost everything in the world is the exact same, save for some tiny detail somewhere along the timestream, and because of that subtle change, the world is ultimately ****ed with. Because the world is different, the experiences in it are different, and thus shape us differently, it is not truly you. It may look like you, act like you, or talk like you, but there was always one small aspect of them that didn't match up with the original. In that sense, they are not you.

Yeah, that occurs, too, but the thought experiment doesn't cover this.
That is interesting. Just the sort of reading I like! :P It's not too confusing on the surface, but the detail I would probably find a little confusing. Really makes me want to read more though. And I have that David Lewis book! Better get reading it! Seriously, quantum physics is awesome. Just wish I understood more of it.
Musically ignorant. Seeking education.

Am female. Finally have bass!

As cunning as a fox who has just been made professor of cunning at Oxford university.

Muse = genius.
Umm: "With each run of the experiment there is a 50-50 chance that the gun will be triggered and the experimenter will shit." (From wikipedia page.)

Wut?
1. do the experiment. now. yes, for real.
2. if you dont die in the next 30 minutes, post here again.

seriously. that could only happen if parallel universes existed.
do they exist? hell yes.

NOT!

or maybe they do?

although the idea of a parallel universe being created whenever I make a desicion seduces me. and no, TS, you are not the only one who has thought of this before.

cheers.

edit:
Quote by Malakian88
Umm: "With each run of the experiment there is a 50-50 chance that the gun will be triggered and the experimenter will shit." (From wikipedia page.)

Wut?

its the same as flipping a coin.

it can fail heads or tails.

each time you do the experiment, the gun might or might not fire. there are only 2 possibilities. 100/2=50%

edit 2: oh, i see what you or wikipedia did there...
Quote by SmashandBurn
Teacher: "There will be a test tomorrow no exceptions."

Student: "What about complete and utter sexual exhaustion?"

Teacher: "You'll just have to write with your other hand."

Quote by imdeth
Lesbian Link ladies. Oh yes.
Last edited by 5th_fret at Nov 12, 2008,
That seems pretty straight forward.

Ive studied the shrodinger wave treatment of the atom and other concepts of the quantum mechanical world and this kind of thing doesnt phase me.

Its just a thought experiment. There is no evidence for any parallel or multiverses... So its all conjecture.

The universe does however, work on probabilities, and the most likely outcome is the one that obeys a natural law or set of natural laws. All possible combinations can happen, however implausable, over time since these interactions occur all the time, every nano second. So for something improbable to happen, it will happen because 1) the action is repeated over and over and 2) this occurs over a lengthy time span so the phenomena must occur at some point in time, or in this case a separate universe.

The concept isnt hard to grasp if you think about it long enough.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
simple english article:
http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_immortality

Quantum Immortality is a theory in which it is proposed that the consciousness stays alive even though the conscious being dies. For example, someone detonates an bomb beside the victim, that victim survives in an alternate universe by being injured but living, or by the bomb not detonating. However, in the original universe, the victim "dies" in the blast. The consciousness is sent to that alternate universe where it will keep living.
Quote by frankv
Tokio Hotel is probably the worst thing Germany has produced since WW2.

Many-worlds theory is utterly fuking stupid.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
I am not a woman as I currently claim

Quote by Rabid
I am actually a woman, unlike Frenchy
fascinating thought. . . but extremely far-fetched lol. thats ridiculous. maybe someone will make a big budget movie about it though. i'd watch
Page 1 of 2