Hey everyone I have found a 1975 fender P-Bass online. The seller wants 1400 for the bass but here is the issue. It doesn't have original pick=ups in it. Will this greatly affect the value of the bass/ the sound that most people love? haha.

1974 - 75 vintage Fender Precision bass guitar, natural ash body, maple fingerboard, very cool to play and terrific collector's edition. All original except vintage DiMarzio pickups which were upgraded into the bass almost since the time the bass was new. These pickups have great output and were recognized as some of the best pickups of their day. -- Aside from a few small dings/scratches and some finish checking, in excellent overall condition.

That is the add^^

I'll also just leave these here ( /b/ refrence :P ) But any advice would be very helpful everyone. I would also have to make a 4 hour drive to pick this bass up.
Attachments:
bass.JPG
bass2.JPG
bass3.JPG
bass4.JPG
Well it sounds good and the pickups are amazing. I was told however that to install dimizaros on a standard fender you had to route a bit as they dont fit naturslly. This might Be a bit of putting and lower the value.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
You could probably get him to lower the price a bit.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
It has a four-bold plate and looks pretty solid to me. It has a replaced pickup, but the pickup is vintage too, so it's not like some jerk stuck a Quarter Pounder in there last week.

I played a 1975 P-Bass the other week with a replaced fingerboard (fretless ebony, so the side dots were all wrong) and it was a solid bass, and sounded great. The actual NECK felt really hefty and had some weight to it, which is something I haven't felt on any bass I've played before.

EDIT: I'm gonna bet that the DiMarzio pickup that he replaced it with is the same model DiMarzio pickup Billy Sheehan uses.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Get it, and get it NOW. If I could find a vintage P bass in this area I would buy it without a doubt.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by fatgoogle
Well it sounds good and the pickups are amazing. I was told however that to install dimizaros on a standard fender you had to route a bit as they dont fit naturslly. This might Be a bit of putting and lower the value.

Ok, $1400 for a 33 year old fender bass... solid swamp ash body (I think that's what they were in 75, may just be ash) and that beautiful 70's logo on the headstock.... who cares if it's got dimarzios in?! $1400 is a steal! Well, maybe not a steal, but it's a good deal on a near original 70's p-bass.

actually, looking at those pictures... what's the s/n on the bass? Double check the dates under the neck (in the joint), the pot's codes and under the pickguard. Cause, I'm not 100% the 75's had skunk stripes, I know the strats didn't, but I can't remember if it carried over to the bass line.

Quote by thefitz
It has a four-bold plate and looks pretty solid to me. It has a replaced pickup, but the pickup is vintage too, so it's not like some jerk stuck a Quarter Pounder in there last week.

I played a 1975 P-Bass the other week with a replaced fingerboard (fretless ebony, so the side dots were all wrong) and it was a solid bass, and sounded great. The actual NECK felt really hefty and had some weight to it, which is something I haven't felt on any bass I've played before.

EDIT: I'm gonna bet that the DiMarzio pickup that he replaced it with is the same model DiMarzio pickup Billy Sheehan uses.

Of course it's four bolt, it's a P-basses, only J-basses went three bolt. And that P-bass with the ebony fretless, did they tell you it was a replacement fretboard or not? Because there were a few very limited runs of P-basses with fretless ebony boards in the 70's, usually it was reserved for J-basses, though.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by Thomme
Of course it's four bolt, it's a P-basses, only J-basses went three bolt. And that P-bass with the ebony fretless, did they tell you it was a replacement fretboard or not? Because there were a few very limited runs of P-basses with fretless ebony boards in the 70's, usually it was reserved for J-basses, though.

From what I understand Billy Sheehan's was a 3-bolt, since he was complaining about neck shifting (which doesnt make sense on a 4-bolt) - but if that's the case then cool, I didn't know that.

And this was definitely a replacement board, as the aforementioned dots were all wrong. I've never heard of an ebony stock fingerboard at all, and if I had, I'm sure Tony Franklin would have had it. Since this was before Jaco, from what I understand, it was a maple fretless (like JPJ's '75 maple fretless).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate it( ALOT). ill be making the trip soon and once I do Ill take pics of it in my hands. Hahahaa.
Also the serial number is 632843 could you guys help me find out if this is the real deal ??
Quote by thefitz
From what I understand Billy Sheehan's was a 3-bolt, since he was complaining about neck shifting (which doesnt make sense on a 4-bolt) - but if that's the case then cool, I didn't know that.

And this was definitely a replacement board, as the aforementioned dots were all wrong. I've never heard of an ebony stock fingerboard at all, and if I had, I'm sure Tony Franklin would have had it. Since this was before Jaco, from what I understand, it was a maple fretless (like JPJ's '75 maple fretless).

I thought that billy sheehan had a telecaster bass... I know the second generation tele basses and jazz basses got the tardo-three bolt treatment, but I've never personally seen a p-bass with 3 bolts, and I've seen a lot of p-basses.

And yeah, ya' beat me to the seriel number, I know that number's a mid seventies offhand... I gotta admit, I have this eerie knowledge of fender basses....

yeah, no three bolt P-basses, teles and jazz. and, yeah, in 1970 Fender introduced a Precision Fretless. They also had fretless jazz basses with maple necks. Regardless of Jaco's fame, he ripped the frets out of his jazz, so... it makes no differance, production wise.

nope, definately not a tele bass:

those big crap-buckers always mess me up. When I envision a non gibson bass with one, first thing I think is, "tele bass." The fact that his has a tele bass neck also throws me off something fearce.

four bolts.
Last edited by Thomme at Nov 13, 2008,
Oh thanks. And I also enjoy your band The Damn Dirty Grapes. Sounds pretty cool.
Yeah, I guess that was it - I saw a three-bolt tele bass and thought that it was for all P's. I wonder why they left the Precision 4-bolt? Or, why change the others? Still never heard about the ebony fingerboarded Fenders, never heard of them EVER using ebony on a model before the Tony Franklin.

Apparently if I remember properly it was a Precision he put the neck of a '68 Tele bass I believe because he liked Tim Bogerts. The mudbucker he added later for stereo capabilities - can't imagine him using it for anything else. Wonder why the 4-bolt neck was so shifty?

And b.m.s., thanks, glad you like the sound
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Yeah, I guess that was it - I saw a three-bolt tele bass and thought that it was for all P's. I wonder why they left the Precision 4-bolt? Or, why change the others? Still never heard about the ebony fingerboarded Fenders, never heard of them EVER using ebony on a model before the Tony Franklin.

Apparently if I remember properly it was a Precision he put the neck of a '68 Tele bass I believe because he liked Tim Bogerts. The mudbucker he added later for stereo capabilities - can't imagine him using it for anything else. Wonder why the 4-bolt neck was so shifty?

And b.m.s., thanks, glad you like the sound

the "three bolt" was reserved to higher end basses. And, trust me, 4 bolts can be shifty. I actually chopped up three picks to use to wedge the neck on my deluxe into place and keep it from shifting and getting buzzy. Not sure if people do that for guitars, when it comes to gear, bass is my ace.
Quote by thefitz
Wonder why the 4-bolt neck was so shifty?

I believe he said in an interview that he had been doing a lot pushing and pulling on the neck of his bass (to loosen/tighten tension on the strings and enable him to play lower/higher notes without retuning) and that this technique had been a major contributor to the looseness of the neck joint. Personally I find this practice to be dumb as hell (as it can cause massive damage to the bass itself), but apparently Billy quite likes the idea. If he would have just bought a damn trem then he could avoided the problem altogether. Crazy Scientologist
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
I remember him rationalizing not needing a B string because a) he has an octave pedal, and b) he has a D-tuner and when he drops D and bends the neck he can hit a low B.

And don't be hating on Scientology. People like it, and you have no right to judge.

See how... fuking stupid that sounds?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by Beast_Within
I believe he said in an interview that he had been doing a lot pushing and pulling on the neck of his bass (to loosen/tighten tension on the strings and enable him to play lower/higher notes without retuning) and that this technique had been a major contributor to the looseness of the neck joint. Personally I find this practice to be dumb as hell (as it can cause massive damage to the bass itself), but apparently Billy quite likes the idea. If he would have just bought a damn trem then he could avoided the problem altogether. Crazy Scientologist

You have to be doing it very, VERY wrong if you end up damaging the bass. I do it quite a lot, sounds good if you do it with harmonics.

EDIT: ^Yeah, he is a scientologist. There's some interviews with him on youtube talking to people about scientology during the Anonymous protests earlier this year.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
You have to be doing it very, VERY wrong if you end up damaging the bass. I do it quite a lot, sounds good if you do it with harmonics.

EDIT: ^Yeah, he is a scientologist. There's some interviews with him on youtube talking to people about scientology during the Anonymous protests earlier this year.

Don't get me wrong, I like the sound in certain instances. I just don't think that I have ever witnessed a bassist (in person) doing it correctly. To give you an idea of where I am coming from, I have seen two people snap the neck on their basses doing this (one was during a live show).
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
wait, I'm confused... what is this neck bending thing he did?
Quote by Thomme
wait, I'm confused... what is this neck bending thing he did?

Yeah, Im curious too!! But on a side note guys and gals!! I'm the buyer for this bass haha. The guy is going to hold it for me. I just have to get the money together now... Hmmm BUT FRIGGING SWEET eh?
TThe neck bending is done by playing a note, and then taking you finger and thumb, placing each on the body on each side of the fretboard, essentially giving you a stronger pivot. You then push the neck from the back, up around the nut area. Gently though, you don't need to do much in order to drop the pitch. Sheehan has never broken a neck doing it, and neither have I, therefore there should be no reason for you to.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
TThe neck bending is done by playing a note, and then taking you finger and thumb, placing each on the body on each side of the fretboard, essentially giving you a stronger pivot. You then push the neck from the back, up around the nut area. Gently though, you don't need to do much in order to drop the pitch. Sheehan has never broken a neck doing it, and neither have I, therefore there should be no reason for you to.

yeah, I don't think I'm gonna be tryin' that one anytime soon.... sounds a little too dangerous to me.
Ha, back in my good old naieve days i used to bend the neck on my MM ripoff till it creaked, what an idiot >.<
I do it a little on the good old sr500 but the neck is a lot tougher. I personally wouldn't reccommend doing it often unless you're brave/stupid/sensible.
P.s. Great deal on the bass, TS, congrats =]
P.p.s. I love that Sheehan P-bass =]
-Gear-
Ibanez SR-500
Epiphone EJ-200
PRS SE EG (SSH version)
Ashdown Perfect Ten 30w
Ashdown ABM500 Evo II

Based in Birmingham, available for any bass work.
MSN or email narcolepsy_patrol@hotmail.co.uk
Quote by James Gadd
Ha, back in my good old naieve days i used to bend the neck on my MM ripoff till it creaked, what an idiot >.<
I do it a little on the good old sr500 but the neck is a lot tougher. I personally wouldn't reccommend doing it often unless you're brave/stupid/sensible.
P.s. Great deal on the bass, TS, congrats =]
P.p.s. I love that Sheehan P-bass =]

Yeah Id just like to say thanks for all of the advice and such